cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Free Shipping Really Help Sell More?

Does free shipping really help sell more? What product categories does it work for? For what value of goods does it work?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@ira_seller wrote:

Thank you for your answer.
I am currently selling handmade goods, and I ship a significant portion of my goods to customers from my partner's fulfillment warehouse in Pennsylvania. I send custom orders from Ukraine.

You’re welcome, @ira_seller .

Thank you for your response. I see you are an experienced seller. One thing i did not mention about free shipping is that buyers can filter for it on eBay, giving a  boost to sellers who offer it. 

Along that subject, in the eBay universe, sellers who follow their Best Practices are given higher placement in Search. That would be free shipping, free returns, 30-60 day return policies, one or same day handling, etc. Below is a link with more info on that.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/optimising-listings-best-match?id=4166

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Have you looked on eBay in the categories you are interested in selling items and viewed prices and shipping costs?  

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I have looked and saw different shipping profiles from active sellers. I couldn’t come to an unambiguous conclusion on my own, so I asked.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@ira_seller wrote:

Does free shipping really help sell more? What product categories does it work for? For what value of goods does it work?

If you'll be shipping from Ukraine, and if most of your buyers are in Europe or North America, it'll be costly to offer "free" shipping. But if your prices can withstand having the cost of shipping included, then yes, offer "free" shipping.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Hi, yes i believe it does, but i am based in the country i sell to. My international customers pay for their postage. But my domestic buyers find it very appealing. 

For a new seller, i usually recommend calculated shipping as the best choice just starting out. Learning all the ins and outs of shipping is an important part of the job. Invariably, mistakes happen, but with calculated shipping, eBay automatically gives the buyer the correct postage he will have when buying the item. So that is helpful as you are in the learning curve.

But with you being in the Ukraine, it might be an advantage to offer free shipping. Are you shipping items from there, or drop shipping? 

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I am a US seller selling to mainly buyers in the US.  I offer free shipping on books because that is a fixed $ amount.  If it a first class item, there is a range of prices but it is small.  For priority items, the rate difference between east and west coast is quite large.  Sometimes I offer free shipping on priority by adding in the average price, but sometimes I don't. 

If someone from outside of the US buys my items, I have calculated shipping set up, but only for the countries I ship to.  Others go through the global shipping program. 

It is a very personal decision you have to make based on your items, shipping type, and cost. 

I have found that a lot of people don't want to be bothered with adding price + shipping and would rather see one total.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Just checking:  You do understand that a seller who offers free shipping has (hopefully) built the shipping cost into the price of the item he's selling, right?  

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

I guess common sense would say that "free shipping" would attract slightly more buyers than non-free shipping even though the final price is the same. 

$20 item + $5 shipping

vs.

$25 item with free shipping

But for some strange reason, i choose to charge the shipping separately.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Suggestion:  If you have any more questions about selling on eBay, why don't you get them all together and post just one message?  

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

I am currently selling handmade goods, and I ship a significant portion of my goods to customers from my partner's fulfillment warehouse in Pennsylvania. I send custom orders from Ukraine.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@ira_seller wrote:

We just got back from Mercer.  Where is your warehouse in PA?

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

seller online llc feasterville trevose pa

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@ira_seller wrote:

You’re welcome, @ira_seller .

Thank you for your response. I see you are an experienced seller. One thing i did not mention about free shipping is that buyers can filter for it on eBay, giving a  boost to sellers who offer it. 

Along that subject, in the eBay universe, sellers who follow their Best Practices are given higher placement in Search. That would be free shipping, free returns, 30-60 day return policies, one or same day handling, etc. Below is a link with more info on that.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/optimising-listings-best-match?id=4166

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

I wish I could give you a definitive answer to a great question.  There are pros & cons.  One thing to think about is: do your customers buy multiple items from you? 

With 'free shipping' the cost is built into the item price.  You can offer shipping discounts to someone who buys several items at once and it saves them money.

I sell in several categories, but one of the categories I sell in, I've identified a seller who I think is my number one competitor. 

He offers free shipping, so I do the same in that category.  I sometimes ponder if I should change it because quite a few other sellers don't offer free shipping.   Undecided as to what I might do in the future.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Oops!  The second 'short' paragraph should have said:

With 'free shipping' the cost is built into the item price.  If you don't give free shipping, you can offer shipping discounts to someone who buys several items at once and it saves them money.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply