cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think USPS "if it fits, it ships" will ever come back?

Do you think that USPS will ever bring back the boxes where if your item fit in the box, you could ship it in that box up to about 75 lb. or so? The reason I ask is because  I had purchased an expensive shredder that allowed cardboard to go through. I used that as my fill for what I was shipping. Worked great. But can't use it now because cardboard fill weighs too much. Wondering if I should hold onto the shredder or try to sell it? Opinions please. TIA.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Do you think USPS "if it fits, it ships" will ever come back?

Add strips of cardboard and make the sides, top, and bottom thicker if the cardboard box is thin.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

USPS dropped a bunch of the A&B boxes as they had no use for them. We use them every day as regular PM boxes.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

@zztop11 wrote:

So they still have the boxes marked "small, medium, large" but not the regional A or B. Is that correct? 

Yes, that's correct. There is one Small, two types of Medium, and one Large.  You can see them on the order form that I linked to above.  There used to be another Large, called the board game box, but it was discontinued.

The old Regional boxes can now be used with regular Priority rates (based on weight and Zone).

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Thank you for answering my question. I appreciate it.

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

I'm not sure anyone here understands your real issue.

Go to your local USPS location and ask to get your answer. 

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

Extra pieces of cardboard line the inside.  Package tighter than possible (I wish I had shredded cardboard!!).
And tape, tape, tape, tape.
If it's heavy and can move inside of a box, it'll beat it's way out during transit.

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:

Extra pieces of cardboard line the inside.  Package tighter than possible (I wish I had shredded cardboard!!).
And tape, tape, tape, tape.
If it's heavy and can move inside of a box, it'll beat it's way out during transit.

I was told by one of the UPS packers that "the strength of the box comes from within" so yeah, if something heavy is rattling around it can dig its way out of even a fairly heavy box if there isn't good void fill.

The game boxes are no longer being made - I use them a lot and so stocked up.

No more A, B or C regionals but I never found them to be that practical - I live in the upper left hand corner of the lower 48 so almost everything that doesn't go to California goes out of my regional zone (population distribution).

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@krazzykats wrote:

Does anyone know if regional boxes can still be used with priority mail?  I have some leftovers and was wondering if they can be used for priority services.

@krazzykats  I just used one last week.  It was fine, though to be safe, I did cross out the RR verbiage. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote: ... almost everything that doesn't go to California goes out of my regional zone (population distribution).

The Regional boxes could be used to ship to any ZIP Code.  The original publicity about them from USPS was misleading and IMHO that led to misperceptions and under-use of the boxes.

At first the Regional A box was priced the same as the 2-pound rate, so it would save on the price of shipping more than 2 pounds to any ZIP Code, and the price for the B boxes matched the rate for 4 pounds.  Later the thresholds varied but the A box was always cheaper than the 3-pound price, and the B was always cheaper than 6 pounds.  

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

The regional A did nothing for me price-wise for most of my items for most of the country, though saved money with closer-in zip codes (but again, population density factors in), so I rarely got to use them save for Poshmark when I used them because they fit the item best (they were pretty puny).

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 25 of 32
latest reply

@nosimport wrote:

USPS dropped a bunch of the A&B boxes as they had no use for them. We use them every day as regular PM boxes.

I still have some of the C Boxes.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Flat rate boxes have never gone away and are still here. They did eliminate regional rate boxes. One thing I noticed is that if I create a listing through the app I am not given the option of offering the flat rate option to the customer. Only on the desk site. 
I cannot fathom that the USPS will ever eliminate flat rate boxes as they are surely a money maker for the post office as they are the only free boxes available at my local post office and for most shipments they end up as a more expensive option

I don't use a lot of flat rate boxes but I do use a LOT of padded flat rate envelopes and regular flat rate envelopes. You would be amazed at what you can get into those and the weight limit is still 70 pounds although I am not sure how you would get that much into one. I have shipped casting lead in both flat rate envelopes and flat rate boxes when it is the cheapest option. 

Now that ground advantage comes with insurance coverage my default on most of my listings is ground advantage but the buyer has the option to choose priority mail. There is also a ground advantage cubic as well as priority mail cubic and those are often cheaper shipping options but you have to use a site like Pirate Ship since eBay does not offer the cubic shipping option. 

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

Does anyone know if regional boxes can still be used with priority mail?  I have some leftovers and was wondering if they can be used for priority services.

Yes the can be used. I too am still using up my supply of regional boxes. 

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

I think to get to 70 pounds it would have to be a solid cube of metal.

I have received 35 pounds of screws in the Large Flat Rate Box.  The box is always busted.  The screws are in a heavy duty plastic bag and this is what keeps it all contained plus so much clear packing tape that it looks like stretch wrap plastic film.

I have shipped 40-50 pounds of casting lead in flat rate boxes before. I simply make a wood liner out of scrap wood and nail it together and insert it into the flat rate box. Works great. 

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@lux-libri wrote:

Priority boxes have gotten more flimsy over the years. Can't imagine shipping anything that weighed 70 pounds.

You can put a sturdier box inside them.

I have, but 70 pounds is way outside the comfort zone for potential damage. I shipped something that weighed 40-ish pounds in a large Priority box with a sturdy inner box, and I thought that was pushing it. There's an actual limit -- and a safe limit.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply