cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you offer “Free Returns”?

I’ve been selling for several years, mostly vintage housewares, and shipping charges often add another 50% or more onto the total.  Also, I live in Oregon so anything that has to go east of the Rockies can also be quite expensive to ship.  I’ve recently started offering returns, buyer pays return shipping.  Those of you who offer “free returns”, does that mean you pay for the item to be returned to you?  I can’t see how that can possibly work out, financially, unless you’re selling post cards or something with very low shipping.  I’m interested in hearing how you do it.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Do you offer “Free Returns”?

Yep.. It means seller pays for return shipping..

Frankly I don't see how they can do this- I think it isn't feasible for smaller sellers unless you have a high profit margin. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

No free returns. I also block them.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

@kath.layn I have offered free returns since the program began. I average about 5 sales a day now but from the start of the pandemic I was selling 15-20 items every single day. I can still count on one hand the amount of returns I've EVER had on eBay. I actually had 2 returns in all of 2020, and none so far in 2021. 

Free returns doesn't equate to more returns, what it means is that if the buyer wants to return the item they can do so without any penalties. They are not "forced" to choose an alternative reason for a return. By removing the threat of having to pay for a return shipping label, buyers are not as quick to jump the gun and open INAD cases. It actually works in your benefit. 

As a seller you need to stop and look at what will work out best for YOU and your selling account. Besides, if you change to free returns and notice an increase, simply change it back on all your listings. It's not a permanent tattoo, you can make alterations as you feel is necessary. Best of luck to you....

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Thanks, very helpful information.  I might give that a try.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Free returns is just a trap for sellers like myself.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@kath.layn wrote:

Thanks, very helpful information.  I might give that a try.

That's really all you can do, try it and see how it works for you. Nothing is permanent. Best of luck to you....

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Some things are more prone to returns than others. Electronics for instance. After that, maybe clothes.

Free returns won't necessarily mean a lot of returns. If anything, it potentially means more sales. I know for me at least, I'm more likely to buy something with free returns as a just I'm case I need to return it only because it'd be less of a hassle.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

I can tell you how it is i have offered free returns for the last 7 years (long before eBay began pushing for it)—i rarely get a return. So it is easy to absorb the one i get on rare occasions. 

I can afford to take the gamble because i i list very cautiously. If my item isn't perfect, it won’t get listed. Or if it is a very high demand item with an acceptable flaw, i list it carefully with pictures and full disclosure. (I probably spend more time on my listings than other sellers because this cautious process slows me down.)

So, offering Free Returns makes good business sense in my case. As a small seller, my goal is to give my customers an exceptional buying experience, from start to finish. 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@wendylouwho10 wrote:

No free returns. I also block them.

Hi, can you elaborate? Who do you block?

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Additionally, if you offer 30 day free returns and reach Top Rated Seller status, you get some additional protections from ebay:

TRS.png

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/top-rated-program.html

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

The additional protection to deduct 50% of a refund is especially nice if anyone decides to try to abuse the "not as described" return reason and send you back a broken or different item.

Though unfortunately nowadays with Managed Payments rolling out in full force it seems the scammers are going directly with the "chargebacks" to defraud sellers. 😕

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@kath.layn 

We offer it on "most" items - I won't offer it on really large/oversized or heavy items.  I do not typically offer free returns on clothing items and I do not offer free returns on video games, etc.

I do offer 30 day returns on everything - some free, some buyer pays to return.  I will say that having the return process automated is something I really like.  It takes all the emotion out of the process and the item just comes back to me.  

For each order, I build in a burden rate of .45 cents to cover these types of issues.  We only had 2 real returns last year for Buyers remorse.  Which is really very low.  

Good luck.  Maybe start with a few lighter weight items and see how it goes.  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

This ^^  These options can really be tailored to what you're selling, even within your cohort of listings.  Nothing ever has to be all or nothing. 

Same with trying free shipping - I use it on some items, not on others. Clothing I do not use free shipping nor do I use free returns. I use free shipping on media and electronics, though, and some sports gear.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@kath.layn   Yes, I use Free Returns on virtually everything I sell ... returns have NOT spiked because of that.  I experimented with it at first on low cost items then eventually added it to pretty much everything I sell.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 15 of 22
latest reply