cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do sellers get data on auto-rejected Make Offers?

I just sent in a Make Offer on a listing that has a full price by the seller that is way over a realistic price for the thing. My offer was based on their average selling price but it came back immediately as an auto-reject.

Okay - fine - he can charge what he wants so I will look elsewhere. But its a 30-day listing so I will check back later to see if he lowers the price. Mainly I was just wondering if the seller is able to see what kind of offers are getting auto-rejected. I know my offer is realistic and he will probably get others in the same range. Is it possible for him to see what offers are being turned down and how many offers he was getting in that range? Now that I have made an offer on it will I get a heads up from Ebay if he does lower his asking price? 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

If they are auto rejected then no he does not see them.

Which is kind of the point.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

"Do sellers get data on auto-rejected Make Offers?"

Yes, sellers can review the offer history of a BIN/ BO listing. I can on my other account. As for ebay giving you the heads up if he lowers the price I don`t know.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I have a number of listings with auto accept decline now. I hope to have them all adjusted by the end of march. I don't have any clue if I have gotten an offer on any of them and I did go to look in my account dashboard before responding to you and again, I have no clue where to see that feature - if it exists - to be able to tell you.

I know one item sold last night using that, but I don't know if they made more than one offer before they got to the accepted  price. I only got one notice and that was the best offer that was accepted which was 1 dollar above my auto decline. I just assumed given nobody says 51.00 as a best offer starting point that they started at half my asking price or so - maybe lower and worked their way up...lol … but I really dunno.

Relative to overpriced - well - for a lot of the stuff I deal in, overpriced is relative. I would suggest that it may be that the item is simply priced for more than you are wanting to spend. All it takes is one buyer to love the item enough where price is not the issue and bang, it sells, which means it is not really overpriced.... if you can't buy it somewhere else - because that really is what determines part of the value - demand and supply - maybe it really isn't overpriced....or it could be overpriced....dunno...lol... what I will say is I have sold about 1/5th of an inventory line on another website for exactly what I am asking for them, yet on eBay....that same inventory has sat unsold - relist after relist - for months and a few pieces for well over a year...so I kind of feel like the "priced more than you want to spend" might apply more than the "overpriced" theory. Though...not knowing what it is, it might be "overpriced" ...lol

Regardless, it's a good question either way. I'd like to be able to see auto declines if they are not being shown just to see how many "lowball" offers I was not having to deal with....lol.....or....maybe how far off my prices might be...cause...I might need to adjust a price or two. Anyway, If they are being shown, then I would guess I've had no other offers on those items... which could mean they are "overpriced"... or maybe, they are just priced more than the buyers on ebay want to spend... lol.... it is one or the other I suppose.... but I love a good consipiracy theory, so maybe it's the evil eBay hiding the people with money from me!! Darn Them... 😉

Cheers

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

"Do sellers get data on auto-rejected Make Offers?"

Yes, sellers can review the offer history of a BIN/ BO listing. I can on my other account. As for ebay giving you the heads up if he lowers the price I don`t know.

If you have viewed it or placed it on your Watch List, you would get a message stating you viewed at this price, it is now that price.  It also states how much you would save.  So yes, you should get a message under those circumstances, but something might go wrong, you never know.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Darn it, I missed the part where you said it was priced way higher than the average selling price. Clearly not a "unique" item if that is the case. Maybe you should just buy it from another seller 🙂

BTW - Merry Christmas and have a great New Year!

Cheers
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I agree, why wait if others have it listed for less? Surely one of them would be acceptable?
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@juststuffisell wrote:
Darn it, I missed the part where you said it was priced way higher than the average selling price. Clearly not a "unique" item if that is the case. Maybe you should just buy it from another seller 🙂

BTW - Merry Christmas and have a great New Year!

Thanx - same to you. Smiley Happy

Yes - its a pie in the sky price on a thing i am very familiar with. His feedback says that he has accepted offers on a pretty good number of other sales. Its just that he sells all kinds of stuff from what i think are estate sales and seems to have a way high opinion of this things value. My offer was fair but his auto reject seems to be set higher than i want to go and i dont think anyone else is going to be that desparate either. Mainly i just want to know when he lowers the price to something realistic and then i will be right there first in line for it. If he does look at  auto rejected offers then i think he should get a good idea of its price range.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:
I agree, why wait if others have it listed for less? Surely one of them would be acceptable?

Condition and details vary on vintage stuff. He has a good example thats worth going after - but not THAT much. Im patient and Im willing to wait in case he lowers it. If he doesnt then thats fine too.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Hi there, If your offer was AUTO REJECTED, the seller does not care how much people are offering because he has PRE SET his AUTO ACCEPT Default setting to the MINIMUM he is wiling to accept for his item. I hope this helps.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

"I have a number of listings with auto accept decline now. I hope to have them all adjusted by the end of march. I don't have any clue if I have gotten an offer on any of them and I did go to look in my account dashboard before responding to you and again, I have no clue where to see that feature - if it exists - to be able to tell you."

I am attaching a screenshot to show you where I see mine at on my "manage active listings" page in seller hub. I hope it helps.

z.PNG

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Sellers don't get a message that the offer was declined, but as shown above it does show in the Active Listings for a couple weeks or so.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Condition and details vary on vintage stuff. He has a good example thats worth going after - but not THAT much. Im patient and Im willing to wait in case he lowers it. If he doesnt then thats fine too.

Thank you!  I agree and I do understand as I buy vintage and collectibles.  Condition and details are important but sad to say that those can be, as you know, at a price not conducive to your buying it.  I've seen things listed for literallly years at prices that no one would buy at, and they are still up and running.  I hope you have better luck!

I ran into that with a seller once.  Vintage collectible, hard to find.  A bit higher than I cared to pay, but bought it, paid, then seller demanded more money post sale, ostensibly for shipping.  Blamed me, I should have known the shipping was wrong!  I said that you might have rolled part of the shipping into the item price, there was no way for me to know you didn't have what you wanted for shipping as the price was in line with similar items.  She cancelled, and relisted as local pickup, while adding $50.00 to the item price, incidentally the amount she asked for for extra shipping cost.  Two years later, the item was still listed.

Your decision to wait is a wise one.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Yes the seller can see what your offer was for. I list all of my listings with BIN/BO and always place a minimum decline amount. The way to see any offers auto declined is to look on your active listings page. When there is an auto decline it will say so on the item. You then click on bid history for that item and it will show you the member name and amount they offered.
Most times if the offer is just slightly below my minimum, I will adjust my minimum to that amount. I haven't yet found a way for me to let the buyer know, it doesn't allow me to message them directly. However if you add the item to your watch list then you will receive a message when the item is relisted or if the price is lowered. So I just hope that those who are declined automatically have added my item to their watch list.
Best of luck to you....
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I also think you should stick to the price you want to pay and just keep looking. I find whatever it is that I am looking for will always pop up again with another seller. Usually I will find it for less which makes it that much more special to me. I know what I am willing to pay for something and until I find it at that price I simply keep on looking.
That's part of the fun of collecting, the searching for the item at a good price. If you collected something and immediately filled your collection, then you'll get bored and move onto something else. It's part of the lure of collecting, to always be on the lookout for a particular piece. Also you want to brag about how little you paid for your collectibles and how much they are actually worth. If you overpay then it diminishes the value right there.
Be patient and you'll appreciate it more. Best of luck to you....
Message 15 of 19
latest reply