cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do not approve of my listing flooded with other sellers adds overriding me.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Do not approve of my listing flooded with other sellers adds overriding me.

Old problem...and it's not going to get any better.  And if anyone brightly mentions that "if your listings are filled with ads for other items, then YOUR items are being featured in another listing!!!", remind them that the chances of that happening out of the millions of listings promoted are minuscule.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

"Do not approve of my listing flooded with other sellers adds overriding me."

That's the new philosophy eBay believes works for their business.  There is currently no way around it.  If you can't beat em' join em' and promote your listings.  Make sure to consider the cost and it's effect on your profit margin.  You may need to raise prices accordingly.   

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Our listings are now eBay click-bait for those willing to be extorted. The new normal.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

And if anyone brightly mentions that "if your listings are filled with ads for other items, then YOUR items are being featured in another listing!!!", remind them that the chances of that happening out of the millions of listings promoted are minuscule.

@chapeau-noir 

Somebody's listings are shown.........and not only promoted listings are shown......there's a place for generic listings also.  Determination of which listings is based, at least partially from what we are told...on buyer history .....  so I don't think you can completely discount the chances of an individual's listings being shown....... 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

True, but we're looking at very lopsided odds, odds that I don't think justify our listings being flooded with ads to the extent they are.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I counted this morning and there were over 50 of these other adds on every one of my listings.  Until this is removed, or ebay wakes up..this place is not going to be good for sellers or buyers. Who ever thought this idea up, should be fired. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

I counted this morning and there were over 50 of these other adds on every one of my listings.  Until this is removed, or ebay wakes up..this place is not going to be good for sellers or buyers. Who ever thought this idea up, should be fired. 

With the carousels it gets to up to over 100 competing listings, including quite a few before the poor buyer can even get to the description.  eBay had said they were moving the ads below the description, but I see it hasn't happened still.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I have mixed emotions about this. On one end items I have listed that others have as well show up, and are competition unless I have a lower price. On the other end items I have that are more unique with no other competition or similar items show that there are no comparable items to be bought. Then there is the middle where items I have listed show similar but not exact or complimentary items which may or may not help to sell the item I have.

I don't promote my items, so they will not be showing up in those slots. I haven't listed in over a month, but still have made a handful of sales.

Competition is everywhere. It's like auto zone is across the street from advanced auto. Right aid is just down the street from CVS. Look Monroe muffler, Mr. Tire, Firestone, and your local mechanic are all located at that intersection.

I know it is better not to have the competition in your own listing. If someone is going to find a better lower cost item than yours, l say let them. If they are really determined, the sooner the better. Better for them to find the competition than to have to cancel the sale, and/or having to go through the return for refund process.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Ebay literally NEVER listens to the sellers. Every 5 or so years they keep making strange, downright dumb, policy changes and then never really address anything but just keep on chugging along like business as usual. 

Side note. In my searches I always search for roughly the same thing FOREVER it seems. Well very recently I've been seeing an almost overwhelming amount of category specific items but not anywhere close to what I prefer to search and buy. For years Ebay had great results and then within individuals selling item page there were many other recommendations/fits your vehicle/ also bought with/ similar items/ etc... that matched my buying/searching pattern. 

For instance, im always searching Japanese autos. Almost never have a searched American autos. Well recently all of a sudden, I'm seeing huge amounts of random ads for listings for American autos and other that I'VE NEVER EVEN THOUGHT OF BUYING let alone actually ever searched for. Never have I seen so many unrelated items that just seem to clog up the page and end up becoming super repetitive which in turns stop me from searching further and making future purchases. Oh don't even get me started on the dozens of DUPLICATES that I scroll through that turns a 5 minute search into a 45 minute search

It's as if Ebay has just gone full on bat$hit crazy . I seriously cannot understand how they thought this would be a good idea. How can a giant company with so much data and years of patterns get select advertising so wrong? My pages after searching for items I wanted to buy like several months ago were almost PERFECT and caused me to make many extra purchases. I was happy to search and browse. Now tho? Today? I fear having to scroll through whatever page I happen to be looking at when making purchases for myself. 

Seriously Ebay **bleep** IS UP ???

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

My biggest gripe is showing rows of competing listings BEFORE the description. It's distracting to the buyer, clutters the listing and obscures the description.

I could live with just ads after the description.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I agree with you. For example I have a Roberto Coin Bangle Bracelet listed. I first do a search…shocking, it comes up…then when I look at the page and all the ads, at least they could put apples with apples, but no, there are other “gold no-name bangles showing too.” It looks like a junk drawer. 

I once worked for a catalog company and the art department had a strict strategy they followed dealing with “how to keep your attention when looking at pages” they were designed for being open, so two pages. Your eye was taken to the upper left, and the layout was conducive to you moving left to right, down, and make a complete circle. Visually attractive and kept your attention.

This mess now looks like things laid out for a garage sale. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

My biggest gripe is showing rows of competing listings BEFORE the description. It's distracting to the buyer, clutters the listing and obscures the description.

But then (goes the ebay logic) a buyer could JUST look at the listing they clicked into and never even SEE any of the ads below it.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

But then (goes the ebay logic) a buyer could JUST look at the listing they clicked into and never even SEE any of the ads below it.

Yes - they're going with the analogy of someone walking into a store, picking something up and before the can even inspect it, the owner starts shoving all sorts of other distracting objects into their face.  In real life, the buyer may look at the object, inspect it, and then look at the other objects around it, but I'm not sure there's a lot of mercantile knowledge in the C-suite, just bean counting.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 14
latest reply