cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to include measurements on item shipped USPS Ground Advantage if weigh less than 1 lb??

In the past I never included measurements on a soft package (ex. shirt) if it weighs less than one pound. Has that changed? It sure is a pain to have to measure each soft package. Even if I use the same envelope, of course the length and height are the same but the width is always different because of selling different items. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Do I need to include measurements on item shipped USPS Ground Advantage if weigh less than 1 lb??

I've always (and still do since GA took over 1st Class) use 16x12x4 for ALL my 'under 16oz packages and have had no issues (even if item is 10x8x2 or??

as well as now items OVER 16oz- I use the same dimension if I put it in a Bubble Manila Envelope. 

The REAL issue is items over 22" and over 31"...due to 'extra $$ required'. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@zztop11 wrote:

In the past I never included measurements on a soft package (ex. shirt) if it weighs less than one pound. Has that changed? It sure is a pain to have to measure each soft package. Even if I use the same envelope, of course the length and height are the same but the width is always different because of selling different items. 

I'm not sure if something changed but I can tell you that Ground Advantage (any size/weight) when printed via Stamps.com requires dimensions. They did not require it for First Class Packages but they do for GA.

As @stainlessenginecovers mentioned, if the dimension are within the limits before surcharges kick in you can use a "generic" measurement. I also use Media Mail, Stamps.com did not and still doesn't require dimension for those regardless of weight.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Yes, and I generally add an inch and an ounce.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I would do some tests........because of the new cubic size benefits.......  just click into a sold item postage page and change measurements to see if price changes.  Won't matter with the listing, because cubic postage isn't available to the buyer.........  but could make a difference when you buy/print the label........

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If it's under a pound the prices are not going to change at all based on the size (assuming you are not oversized). If it's over a pound you definitely want to have accurate dimensions because ebay has now implemented cubic shipping.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

But!! if you are selling via EIS (Ebay International) or you are direct shipping internationally, items OVER 12" is much more $$ than items less...so best to be accurate there (and have those dimensions ALREADY inputted in the listing correctly so you or EIS knows what to charge for shipping. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply