cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to refund the original shipping in this case?

So the ebay money back guarantee applies to

• You don't receive an item
  • You receive an item that doesn't match the listing
  • You receive an item that's broken or faulty

Right?

I sold an used printer cartridge, and buyer returned this item without even using it. The reason for claiming for a refund is because "Black ink cartridge has leaked".

This is my item description

Condition is Used. Bottom holes protective film is open, and black cartridges Do Not Remove sticker is off. 
There were no air holes inside the sticker, so it shouldn't be a problem. It worked before I returned the printer, but it is not guaranteed.
Each cartridge are filled with small amount of ink, and will be sent packed in plastic bag."

Not really clear, but I certainly wrote down that the bottom hole(ink hole) is open, black cartridges sticker is off, and it is not guaranteed to work. Used cartridge with ink hole protective film off, how can someone expect none leaking cartridge?

• You receive an item that doesn't match the listing
  • You receive an item that's broken or faulty

Does this apply to this transaction? I don't think so. The buyer clearly gambled on buying my used item instead of paying 5 more dollar to buy new one. 

In this case, do I have to refund the original shipping? I don't want to make loss out of this selling.

Contacting ebay, they told me I can discuss this with buyer and refund only the item price through paypal, but I don't think he'll accept this easily.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Do I have to refund the original shipping in this case?

You need to refund the buyer 100% or they can appeal to eBay and will be refunded and as a seller you will get a "ding" for having eBay step in.

Your listing does not say "leaks ink" and even if it did I dont think you would win this one.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

What did the buyer open the case as? if Not as Described, you have to pay return shipping no matter what your description said. 

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Yes you owe that buyer return shipping, you listed that cartridge in refillable cartridges, as if it was working..and saying that you dont know if it works or not wont protect you. If you dont refund the buyer his shipping, he will go to PP and file another case against you for the shipping fee.And I certainly wouldnt believe what any csr in the Phillipines tells you.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Cartridges for refilling are usually sold empty.
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

If buyer filed an INAD, you pay return shipping (if you want the item returned) and give buyer a full refund.

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Not really clear, but I certainly wrote down that the bottom hole(ink hole) is open, black cartridges sticker is off, and it is not guaranteed to work. Used cartridge with ink hole protective film off, how can someone expect none leaking cartridge?

At least you put it in a plastic bag or your buyer would have had a major mess to deal with due ink all over the carpet and on hands and clothing.

Still,  just picture for a moment what a treat it must have been to get that plastic bag lined with ink.  ugh

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@joblelo1010-1 

Yes, you do.

Typically broken items are returned with seller's money. That item wasn't a good one to sell online. Had the ink leaked during shipment, your buyer would have a hard time cleaning up the mess.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Missing parts or pieces because he first opened case because USPS forgot to deliver my package.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Yes, you're perfectly right. I sold it as filled with ink because I couldn't take it out. Then how would someone expect none leaky used cartridge sent through a delivery truck?

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

It does not matter what you put in the description. If the buyer files a "not as described" dispute, you will lose.

That side ...

You sold this item as "used", and here is eBay's description of your used item: "Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections."

You are not allowed to call this item "used" and then change the definition of used in your description by saying it is "not guaranteed to work". IMHO your listing was fatally flawed from the very start.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

He did not even try to put the cartridge on. He bought a 'used' cartridge with ink hole 'opened' and I did not say I will package it water tightly. How would someone expect a perfectly normal cartridge out of that. If it did not work, I would certainly refund, but he didn't even bother to wash it and use it, why would I need to refund the shipping?

Well if I have to, ebay selling really sucks then.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Then aren't I safe?

He did not use it, so it didn't mean it wasn't working,

"functions as intended" meaning there is no ink filled used cartridge that doesn't leak while shipping in a delivery truck that would shake the package a lot.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

You are not getting it.  If a buyer says the item is not as described, it DOES NOT MATTER if he is telling the truth or not.  eBay WILL take the buyer's side of the issue.  You MUST accept the return AND provide a PRE-PAID RETURN LABEL.  When it arrives back you MUST issue a full refund of every penny the buyer paid. 

If you don't do this, eBay will take the money from you, will NOT require the buyer send it back, and WILL give you a MAJOR defect on your account that can put you out of business on eBay permanently. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Well you just sound like a dictator.

You just had to say you were dumb to sell anything on ebay because they don't give a sh* about sellers situation. Don't ever sell anything on ebay again.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply