cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute found in buyer's favor?!?!? EBay helping to scam sellers!

A buyer made claims that an item I sold was defective.  When I asked for proof, he refused, and kept changing his story until eventually he claimed they were counterfeit.  I escalated it, and sent what I thought was enough proof.  He still never sent any proof, just more accusations, and they still kept changing and growing with each message.  He wanted me to refund his money AND to keep the merchandise.

Ebay found in his favor claiming that there was no way they could determine the authenticity of the item, despite the fact that I told them how they could do so very easily even without my involvement.  They just needed to ask the buyer for the details that I originally asked for and he refused to give.  The codes can be seen plainly from any photograph, and EBay's people can check the authenticity codes online for themselves, but the guy they assigned to "investigate" the matter was too darned lazy to do even that much!

How does that make any sense at all?  The buyer refused to provide any evidence at all, I was providing all the evidence and it proved he was lying through his teeth, but now I have to be punished for it?!?!   I have to refund his money including his original shipping, and they're making me pay for his return shipping.  They say I can appeal upon getting the stuff back, but even if they find in my favor (which I can't even be sure of anymore), I'm still out of pocket on this, because they won't refund the return shipping!

It just seems like EBay is encouraging and even helping crooks to scam sellers.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dispute found in buyer's favor?!?!? EBay helping to scam sellers!

I agree, ebay does not fully investigate claims, if at all.

My experience involed an item over 200 dollars. Buyer got item and full refund!

Proof was in the photographes if anyone took a moment to view would clearlly see this was a false claim. Ebay could care less

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

@powerbroker2016 wrote:

A buyer made claims that an item I sold was defective.  When I asked for proof, he refused, and kept changing his story until eventually he claimed they were counterfeit.  I escalated it, and sent what I thought was enough proof.  He still never sent any proof, just more accusations, and they still kept changing and growing with each message.  He wanted me to refund his money AND to keep the merchandise.

Ebay found in his favor claiming that there was no way they could determine the authenticity of the item, despite the fact that I told them how they could do so very easily even without my involvement.  They just needed to ask the buyer for the details that I originally asked for and he refused to give.  The codes can be seen plainly from any photograph, and EBay's people can check the authenticity codes online for themselves, but the guy they assigned to "investigate" the matter was too darned lazy to do even that much!

How does that make any sense at all?  The buyer refused to provide any evidence at all, I was providing all the evidence and it proved he was lying through his teeth, but now I have to be punished for it?!?!   I have to refund his money including his original shipping, and they're making me pay for his return shipping.  They say I can appeal upon getting the stuff back, but even if they find in my favor (which I can't even be sure of anymore), I'm still out of pocket on this, because they won't refund the return shipping!

It just seems like EBay is encouraging and even helping crooks to scam sellers.

You haven't been scammed..... YET.

If the buyer returns the items and you refund him his purchase price and shipping both ways, then you haven't been scammed, you been asked to accept something back and pay for its return.... NOT a scam, IS a cost of doing business.

If the buyer returns a counterfeit item to you instead of the authentic item you sold... THEN you've been scammed.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but returns are part of doing business.  Accept this or don't.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

"YET" was absolutely right.

He was already granted a refund, he only had to ship back the stuff.  He didn't even have to pay the return shipping, since EBay was making me pay for it.   Upon him receiving the money for return shipping, instead of sending the stuff back using that money, he did a chargeback with his credit card.

So, he's decided to:

-keep the items

-take back the money that he would have been refunded if he had sent the stuff back

-keep money intended for return postage

Finally, EBay and Paypal are at least "sympathetic" that he might be the dishonest one.  However, they're still charging me a $20 fee due to the chargeback.

Cost of doing business?  I'm feeling pretty ripped off right now.

and on top of all that, I can't even name this jackass due to EBay policy.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

You just found out what happens when you refuse to accept a return.
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

You're right, eBay is responsible for fraud and sellers getting scammed, all a buyer has to do is lie to eBay, they can claim a new item is used and eBay will go along with it, so eBay is party to fraud against sellers and they do not care.

They will even allow fraudulent feedback to be left by a scammer when evidence shows that the scammer is lying.

Anyone can go to Google and search keywords, how to get free products on ebay.........

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

OP,

If a buyer wants to steal an item through a fraudulent SNAD claim, he will generally succeed unless he makes a mistake during the process.

This has been true ever since eBay first offered their "money back guarantee", and eBay shows no signs of changing.

Sellers can take prudent steps to try to reduce fraud, but it cannot be eliminated.

Lucky

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

'an item', 'it', they' .......

Lots to go on.  Care to tell us what it' was and how you can positively verify it is genuine and they the buyer is wrong?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

It cannot be authentic if the credit card, a shrewd and stalwart pillar in the fight against fraud, also considers that it is a counterfeit.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

If you must know, LIthium ion batteries.  The real ones from established brands (even a budget brand like Efest)  cost a lot more than the ----fire batteries you see all over ebay for a few bucks).

The manufacturer (EFest) offers an authentication code on a sticker.  To find if it's authentic, one scratches off coating to reveal a 20 character code, which they can then go to the manufacturer site to enter for confirmation.  I even checked more recently and the codes are still supported and active.  I doubt he even tried checking them based how he described it.

I know they're genuine because I bought direct from the Efest factory (I verified the address, it's their business address, not a knockoff factory in some other part of China).  When I received the shipment, I grabbed 4 of each type at random and checked the codes and ran the samples through a hobby charger to verify the capacity (counterfeits will have significantly less than the rated capacity).

I also test everything before shipping out because shipping stuff back and forth in Canada is fairly expensive and it's a pain in the ass for everybody.  Most people appreciate the effort.

Ebay's argument for finding in favor of the buyer is that I was not in possession of the batteries and could not provide definitive proof of authenticity or condition of those specific batteries and he wasn't co-operating..  I did provide evidence in the form of a receipt from the manufacturer and the photo of a similar battery from the same batch, but that's not direct evidence of those specific batteries.

I was instructed to supply him with return postage, and upon receiving the batteries back (hopefully he wouldn't swap them out before sending them).  Then I could provide EBay with photos of those batteries with the authentication codes and appeal.   They actually could have resolved this quickly by asking him to snap photos of the codes to confirm authenticity, and take voltage measurements (to confirm viability).

However, instead of sending them back, he opted to do a chargeback with his credit card.  This way, he can keep the original money, the money sent for return postage, AND the batteries.

He had already been promised a refund by ebay upon return of the batteries confirmed by a tracking number.  It's automated, I didn't even have to be involved at that point and I had 90 days to appeal.   He'd already won, and he wasn't going out of pocket to send them back, so he had no reason to do this except to keep the batteries too --- which he claims didn't work and were counterfeit, so why would he want to keep them?

---

At present, Paypal has given me back the fees for this transaction and refunded the full amount to his credit card pending dispute with the credit card, as well as waiving the chargeback fee of $20.  Not sure how that'll turn out, but if they find in my favor, I'll get the money back.

EBay, however, has been reluctant to refund the final value fees with a new excuse from each person I talk to . It's only a small amount of money, but it's about the principle now. and Ebay shouldn't profit from being a blind accomplice to fraud.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Credit card didn't come to any determination yet -- it takes up to 90 days for them.

However, in the interim, they require the retailer or the intermediary (paypal) to issue the refund in advance regardless of what the outcome might be.  So according to Paypal, they had no choice but to hand over the money.

As far as the EBay situation, now that it's out of their hands, they're claiming that they would have found in my favor on appeal.  Frustratingly, when it doesn't frickin' matter anymore, they look at the evidence.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I didn't refuse.  I got in trouble when I asked  for evidence or at least an explanation of his claims.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

So I guess you were trolling then, crysylys?

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Ebay found in his favor claiming that there was no way they could determine the authenticity of the item, despite the fact that I told them how they could do so very easily even without my involvement.

Sellers need to understand that what looks like "proof" to them doesn't mean anything to anybody who was not involved in the transaction.  There are only two people on the planet who know what was sent and received - the sender and the recipient.  If either one is making stuff up, nobody else will ever know.

Even assuming eBay wanted to waste manpower to check that 20 character code, what if the buyer said there wasn't any code on his item?  Or he made up a phony code?  Or that some knockoff artist found genuine codes and put them on his batteries?

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I agree, ebay does not fully investigate claims, if at all.

My experience involed an item over 200 dollars. Buyer got item and full refund!

Proof was in the photographes if anyone took a moment to view would clearlly see this was a false claim. Ebay could care less

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Update:

Yay!

I got notified by Paypal that the credit card company (they still won't tell me which one) found in my favor and reversed the chargeback on Jan 2, 2017.  Paypal should be giving me back all the money.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply