cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did you know that buyers get MUCH MORE than 60 days to give feedback?

Just had a buyer leave feedback (although positive) from a sale done on 11/27, delivered on 12/3; almost 3 months later. 

Just an FYI in case anyone cares....

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Did you know that buyers get MUCH MORE than 60 days to give feedback?

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

You can leave feedback for up to 60 days from the date you received your item or from the expected delivery date, whichever comes first. If no expected delivery date is provided, you have up to 90 days from when you completed your purchase to leave feedback for the seller.

The current published info does not line up with OP's experience.

Delivered Dec 3 + 60 days = Feb 1

We don't know if there was an estimated delivery date, though usually there is. Today is about 85 days since the transaction.

Message 16 of 46
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote: ... IDK.  

elizabeth@ebay 

kyle@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Has the amount of time a buyer has to leave feedback changed from 60 days to some other time frame? ...

At the very least, the start of the 60-day count now begins on the delivery date rather than on the transaction date.

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

A seller that tells a buyer they won't leave FB until the buyer leaves FB for them is only asking for a bad FB rating and frankly likely would deserve it. [...]  Any seller worth their salt would never hold the FB "hostage".  That would be an extremely poor business practice

I agree, and yet sellers still come here and say that's exactly what they do. They rant because the buyer is upset they (the seller) refuse to leave FB or rant because the buyer left them a neg when the seller refused to leave FB. I'm sure they're in the vast minority, but it does still happen and they do still come here to whine about it. 🤷

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 18 of 46
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

A seller that tells a buyer they won't leave FB until the buyer leaves FB for them is only asking for a bad FB rating and frankly likely would deserve it. [...]  Any seller worth their salt would never hold the FB "hostage".  That would be an extremely poor business practice

I agree, and yet sellers still come here and say that's exactly what they do. They rant because the buyer is upset they (the seller) refuse to leave FB or rant because the buyer left them a neg when the seller refused to leave FB. I'm sure they're in the vast minority, but it does still happen and they do still come here to whine about it. 🤷

That would only come from very few sellers.  Most would never do that.  There are many things that sellers do in regards to buyers that they shouldn't as a regular thing, but those too are a real minority of sellers.

My point was the vast majority of sellers that wait to post buyer FB until after they post for the seller are NOT holding ANYTHING hostage.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 19 of 46
latest reply

Ma'am, I never said a lot of sellers did this. I believe the exact words I used were "vast minority."

I'm also not the one that used the term hostage - just said what I thought another poster was referring to. Not sure why you're so aggressive with me? Or maybe I'm reading your tone wrong - can sometimes be hard to tell in this format.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 20 of 46
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers, @nobody*s_perfect , @wastingtime101 

Yes, we had a discussion just last week on a thread about the 60 day window on the Leave Feedback page ... it stemmed from me trying to get eBay to let Sellers DELETE UPIs and Cancelled transactions from the Leave Feedback list so we don't accidentally leave FB for someone who doesn't deserve it.  I almost did it more than once since the relisted stuff will sell while the UPI or Canceled transaction is still on the list. 

I am thinking they may have pushed the window out to 90 days because one of my UPIs on my Leave FB list is over 70 days old now, it should have dropped off at the 60 day mark but didn't. 

It would be just like Home Office to make that kind of change but not tell us like on a Seller Update or something ... yep, being treated like Mushrooms again ... kept in the dark and fed nothing but ......... potassium enriched compost ...

I've been waiting for them to announce that they will extend the Return window for Buyers from 30 days to 60 days.  I always thought that 30 Days for eBay and 180 for PayPal was a big gap and when Managed Payments came along I thought they might do it then ... I have NO inside info on this, its just a change that I could see them making at some point ... I wouldn't like it but that;s beside the point ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 21 of 46
latest reply

You are right.  You nor the other poster that I was originally addressing their post said that.  With that said when we bring up sellers that wait to leave FB on buyers, in the same sentence or breath saying they hold them hostage is just not representative of the majority of the sellers that do this.  That is my only point.

Message 22 of 46
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

You can leave feedback for up to 60 days from the date you received your item or from the expected delivery date, whichever comes first. If no expected delivery date is provided, you have up to 90 days from when you completed your purchase to leave feedback for the seller.

The current published info does not line up with OP's experience.

Delivered Dec 3 + 60 days = Feb 1

We don't know if there was an estimated delivery date, though usually there is. Today is about 85 days since the transaction.

It says "whichever comes first" between estimated and actual delivery date. Some hypotheticals:

-If estimated delivery was Dec 10 but it was delivered Dec 3 then buyer has 60 days from Dec 3.

-If estimated delivery was Jan 30 but it was delivered Dec 3 then buyer has 60 days from Jan 30.

-If no estimated deliver date and item was purchased Nov 27 then buyer has 90 days from Nov 27.

If item 291986145677 is the listing in question - I am seeing an estimated delivery date.

Doesn't seem to add up with the eBay published timelines unless for some reason the buyer didn't see an estimated delivery date. OP said they shipped to a US address.

GLORIOUS!

Message 23 of 46
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Yes, we had a discussion just last week on a thread about the 60 day window on the Leave Feedback page ... it stemmed from me trying to get eBay to let Sellers DELETE UPIs and Cancelled transactions from the Leave Feedback list so we don't accidentally leave FB for someone who doesn't deserve it.  I almost did it more than once since the relisted stuff will sell while the UPI or Canceled transaction is still on the list. 

I am thinking they may have pushed the window out to 90 days because one of my UPIs on my Leave FB list is over 70 days old now, it should have dropped off at the 60 day mark but didn't. 

It would be just like Home Office to make that kind of change but not tell us like on a Seller Update or something ... yep, being treated like Mushrooms again ... kept in the dark and fed nothing but ......... potassium enriched compost ...

I've been waiting for them to announce that they will extend the Return window for Buyers from 30 days to 60 days.  I always thought that 30 Days for eBay and 180 for PayPal was a big gap and when Managed Payments came along I thought they might do it then ... I have NO inside info on this, its just a change that I could see them making at some point ... I wouldn't like it but that;s beside the point ...

Was that the only reason?  I ask because the 60 clock doesn't start from the date the listing was purchased.  It is from the date the buyer receives or the latest ETA date.

Except that the 180 days for PP are arbitrary.  They said it was because most CCs offer that length of time to file claims, but that isn't true.  Maybe some do, but most don't.  It is 90 days.

On Ebay switching to 180 days would be so destructive.  Making sellers wait up to six months before they know if their sale is really a sale.  Or maybe have Ebay hold their money for that 180 days would bankrupt most of us.

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Was that the only reason?  I ask because the 60 clock doesn't start from the date the listing was purchased.  It is from the date the buyer receives or the latest ETA date.

Except that the 180 days for PP are arbitrary.  They said it was because most CCs offer that length of time to file claims, but that isn't true.  Maybe some do, but most don't.  It is 90 days.

On Ebay switching to 180 days would be so destructive.  Making sellers wait up to six months before they know if their sale is really a sale.  Or maybe have Ebay hold their money for that 180 days would bankrupt most of us.

@mam98031   Thanks for the follow up ... I just checked the history of the old UPI on my Leave FB list.

Auction ended Nov 27, 2022.  Priority Mail shipment "would" have been no more than say 3 days.  I cancelled right after the 96 hour window for Buyer did not pay reason so figure no later than December 2. 

A December 2, 2022 Cancellation of the UPI makes today day number 80 ... so even if we throw a Prioirty Mail delivery on the transaction AFTER the cancellation date we are way outside the 60 days.  I will be watching this one to see if it drops off the Leave FB list at the 90 day mark which will be on  or around March 2, 2023.

Okay, on to the next one (pic below) ... the other one on my list right now is one where a Buyer messaged me right after they purchased requesting a Cancellation ... I did so right away for them.  That was on December 23, 2022 with Estimated delivery January 6 ... that makes the 60 day mark AFTER the Estimated Delivery on or around March 7, 2023 ... if it is not gone a week after that then the 60 days must not apply.

Screenshot (4294).png

Regards,
Message 25 of 46
latest reply

what they write, and what they code can vary on occasion 🤣

Message 26 of 46
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote: ... A December 2, 2022 Cancellation of the UPI makes today day number 80 ... so even if we throw a Prioirty Mail delivery on the transaction AFTER the cancellation date we are way outside the 60 days. ...

The quotes in this thread which relate feedback and delivery dates are taken from the Help page about leaving feedback for sellers.  The equivalent page about leaving feedback for buyers doesn't say anything at all about a time frame.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/leaving-feedback-buyers/leaving-feedback-buyers?id=4078 

Message 27 of 46
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

International sales do get a bit more time because it is 60 days from the date received or the latest ETA on the purchase.

Looks like that time frame applies even to domestic transactions now.

IDK.  

elizabeth@ebay 

kyle@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Has the amount of time a buyer has to leave feedback changed from 60 days to some other time frame?

Currently the policy page reads as follows:

You can leave feedback for up to 60 days from the date you received your item or from the expected delivery date, whichever comes first. If no expected delivery date is provided, you have up to 90 days from when you completed your purchase to leave feedback for the seller.

You must have had your account for at least 5 days to be able to leave feedback.

Leaving feedback for sellers | eBay

Hey @mam98031! The policy for when a buyer can leave feedback is still the same as what you called out. There has been a sitewide issue that has seen some buyers be able to leave feedback outside of the normal 60 days for the date the buyer receives the item or estimated delivery date. If there are members running into this they can reach out to customer support and let them know that they are running into ALERT14456.

Devon,
eBay
Message 28 of 46
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote: ... A December 2, 2022 Cancellation of the UPI makes today day number 80 ... so even if we throw a Prioirty Mail delivery on the transaction AFTER the cancellation date we are way outside the 60 days. ...

The quotes in this thread which relate feedback and delivery dates are taken from the Help page about leaving feedback for sellers.  The equivalent page about leaving feedback for buyers doesn't say anything at all about a time frame.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/leaving-feedback-buyers/leaving-feedback-buyers?id=4078 

@nobody*s_perfect   That is correct, I read through all of that last week ... one page has a time frame the other doesn't.  

Regards,
Message 29 of 46
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

International sales do get a bit more time because it is 60 days from the date received or the latest ETA on the purchase.

Looks like that time frame applies even to domestic transactions now.

IDK.  

elizabeth@ebay 

kyle@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Has the amount of time a buyer has to leave feedback changed from 60 days to some other time frame?

Currently the policy page reads as follows:

You can leave feedback for up to 60 days from the date you received your item or from the expected delivery date, whichever comes first. If no expected delivery date is provided, you have up to 90 days from when you completed your purchase to leave feedback for the seller.

You must have had your account for at least 5 days to be able to leave feedback.

Leaving feedback for sellers | eBay

Hey @mam98031! The policy for when a buyer can leave feedback is still the same as what you called out. There has been a sitewide issue that has seen some buyers be able to leave feedback outside of the normal 60 days for the date the buyer receives the item or estimated delivery date. If there are members running into this they can reach out to customer support and let them know that they are running into ALERT14456.

devon@ebay   Thanks for the follow up ... per a previous post on this thread I have a UPI on my Leave FB list that hit approximately day 80 yesterday and I have a Buyer requested Cancellation that hits day 60 on March 7 (depending on when the 60 day clock begins LOL).  I don't plan to report either of them right now, I want to see what the eBay programming does with them and when they actually drop ... 

Regards,
Message 30 of 46
latest reply