cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I mess up with this auction?

I'm selling some of my parents stuff, in this case a nice if pedestrian Canon AE-1 film camera (remember those?). I decided to allow for the Global Shipping program. I've heard different things on this, not all of them good, from a seller's perspective. This morning a few bids came in from someone in Singapore, with 0 feedback. Maybe this is all on the up and up, but I dunno. 

Should I not have done that?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Did I mess up with this auction?

@tedster99 wrote:

Wait.

I can see what other stuff a user is bidding on? Why wasn't I informed of this!? 🙂

Oh, yeah. I push the hot buttons all the time! Don't be scared...

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 I ain't skeered, but I clicked around on a given bidders feedback page and couldn't find anything about the other stuff they are bidding on. Where does one find this?

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

what you are referring to is bid stalking

bid stalking was done away with in response to the German  privacy laws

in the old days you could just follow a bidder with good taste who would lead you to all the bargains

its not that way anymore. you cant tell what another bidder is also bidding on

sometimes when you dig around in feedback you can tell what they have purchased but that is past tense

its impossible to see what else another bidder is bidding on

ebay did away with that info at least 10 years ago

I used to see what my favorite bidders were up to and what they liked

all of this was done prior the the scrambled names 

you also used to be able to warn a winner that they  they has just bought a fake

auction interference was more common in the old days

@tedster99 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@robxznyc wrote:

With GSP eBay provides shipping forwarding service and seller is spared from INR or damage claims. But as long as you buy shipping insurance you are equally covered for INR and damage risk. You'll have eBay seller protection against scams. There is no extra scam protection from using GSP.

And just what would that be?

@tedster99 wrote:

OK, I'll try to digest that. Seems to me, I only need insurance to cover it to the location in Kentucky? Do they open the parcels there and re-pack them, or??

A related question is whether Postal insurance is additive. For example a priority mail small FRB is automatically insured to $100 - if I want to cover a $500 item, will buying $400 be enough? As a practical matter I don't think the rates differ too much at those price points, but wondered about that. It all adds up.

The auto-insurance(which is on priority mail only) doesn't count. If you want it insured for 500.00, you need to pay for 500.00 of insurance. They do not apply the 1st 50 or 100.00 when you purchase insurance for more than that.

@tedster99 wrote:

@mtgraves7984 I ain't skeered, but I clicked around on a given bidders feedback page and couldn't find anything about the other stuff they are bidding on. Where does one find this?

@tedster99 

I don't know how to see what they're bidding on, but can check what they've bought through feedback left for sellers (if they did), or feedback received as a buyer (if it's there) and kind of know what they buy. Tick more hot buttons!

Message 21 of 21
latest reply