cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined return request led to a buyer meltdown, lost payment dispute despite eBay siding with me

TL,DR: I sold an item to a buyer, an intake manifold for a vehicle, around two weeks ago that wound up turning into multiple false accusations against me, a lost payment dispute, and subsequently an unexpected and unwanted return of the item in a permanently damaged state. I am sick to my stomach over this, have been running around in circles with eBay support, and I’m looking for any advice or insight.

Here it goes: In my listing I made sure to specify which vehicles my item fit by use of a part number taken directly off of my item, and through eBay’s vehicle compatibility finder (drop down boxes that let you enter your vehicle year, make, model, sub-model, and engine size to verify compatibility). After purchasing my item and receiving it, the buyer took a photo of the item that he purchased from me next to what he intended to replace, and stated that it didn’t fit and he’d need to return it. My listing stated no returns, and that paired with the fact that I left multiple ways to verify fit/compatibility, I declined the return. After declining the return, the buyer exploded on me in frustration and immediately began to accuse me of sending him an item that didn’t match what I listed, claimed that I was dishonest and rude, and swore up and down that I stated it fit his vehicle (a Ford F150), despite me never stating that it fit ANY Ford F150 (I had to triple check my listing when he said this just to be sure, and sure enough, I was right).

Next, the buyer went directly to their bank and disputed the charges, which led to a payment dispute case against me in which the buyer claimed I cheated and scammed them. I provided proof and stated my claim in the counter dispute, but evidently, it wasn’t enough; the buyer’s bank sided with them and I wound up being on the hook for the entire amount plus a $20 dispute fee ($354.42).

Before the payment dispute outcome was made by the buyer's bank, a box showed up at my door, and it was the intake manifold sent back by the buyer despite me being clear about no returns. Upon opening the box, I discovered that the item was permanently damaged, as if the buyer had attempted to install it or it was damaged during return shipping. I can no longer sell or use this item due to the damage, and once this is all settled, I will have to throw it away.

I called eBay and reported the buyer multiple times to no avail. I explained the situation to an eBay rep, who said that while eBay determined that I was right and well within my right as a seller to decline the return, there was nothing further that they could do besides waive the $20 dispute fee, as the buyer skipped eBay and went straight to their bank to dispute the charges. I’m at a loss here and I’m sick over this. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Never in all my years of buying and selling on eBay have I encountered something like this.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Declined return request led to a buyer meltdown, lost payment dispute despite eBay siding with me

Once the bank gets involved that's about the end of it.

All you can do is block buyer from further purchases.

Getting the $20. dispute fee waive was a kind gesture on behalf of eBay.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

When the buyers payment source gets involved, not much you can but refund.

At least they returned the item, most of the time the seller looses the item and money.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Sorry to hear about your loss, but this is the ugly part of selling. Unfortunately a "No Returns" policy has no effect if the buyer opens an item not as described return, even if you included make, model, etc. In the future it's better to just have the unhappy buyer return for a full refund. Perhaps your manifold would have been returned undamaged.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Looks like you are fairly new at selling on eBay and I would suggest that you read up on Returns and Refunds.

You can have NO RETURNS in your listing but that does not stop a Buyer from requesting one or asking for a Refund. Buyers have the right for a refund 99.99% of the time and you will not get eBay to back you up.

As a Seller you should have accepted the return request and did the refund after you received the item back. Once you said no you threw yourself in front of the bus for the end results. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The banks will side with consumers 100% of the time on transactions where the merchant refuses to accept a return, always been this way. ebay's stance is exactly the same.

What you can do in the future is to accept the return, then deduct the cost of shipping from the refund. Of course, you have to be top rated to do this.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@jmster1 

Auto parts is one of eBay's favorite vertical categories.  They apparently, if you qualify, even offer some perks to sellers even if there is a no return policy.  

See if anything here will help your situation.  Since your buyer filed a "Payment Dispute" it is likely all bets are off, but you should check just to be sure.  I suspect the dispute was filed through PayPal, since they do require proof of a return (but not what was returned) in order to get a refund.  Most credit cards require no such thing, and eBay certainly does not either.  

Not being familiar with your category and product, I don't know if any of these "benefits" apply or it is a bunch of 'hot air'. 

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/protections/ebay-guaranteed-fit#faq

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Not true. Giving automatic refunds when you can fight it is pathetic. Stop letting these buyers treat you like a doormat and let them know their are consequences to their actions.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply