cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with a buyer that won't let a return refusal go

On my other account (my active one), I have a no returns policy.  It's never really an issue except for maybe 3 sales per year (out of 500~).  Well, a buyer opened a return now with the reason of, "don't like it" saying, "it looked like a store return" because it wasn't folded perfectly in the store packaging.  Naturally, I refused.  She then messaged me saying it had soil, and she really needs to return it.  I messaged her back explaining what a no returns policy means, and that she needed to say the first time there was an issue like that, and I'm not required to do anything else.  She sent me another increasingly aggressive message pushing the return, and I reported her for circumventing policy, and harassment.  This is something she could just easily wash if she felt it was a little dirty.  I find it interesting she did not open the correct case and say this at first, which makes me think she's making it up.  I've never had someone like this.  What else can I do?

POsTiNg Id
Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

I would have offered to refund purchase price only and had them send it back. I’m not in the business of fighting with buyers.

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

I'm not here to fight with buyers.  I'm here to get stuff out of my house for money.  All they have to do, is grow up, and follow the rules like I have to and unfortunately I'm one of the few who believes in reading a listing and rules.  I've also tried accommodating buyers only to have it bite me as well.  So in this case, to answer my question, what else can I do?

POsTiNg Id
Message 3 of 36
latest reply

wrote:

On my other account (my active one), I have a no returns policy.  It's never really an issue except for maybe 3 sales per year (out of 500~).  Well, a buyer opened a return now with the reason of, "don't like it" saying, "it looked like a store return" because it wasn't folded perfectly in the store packaging.  Naturally, I refused.  She then messaged me saying it had soil, and she really needs to return it.  I messaged her back explaining what a no returns policy means, and that she needed to say the first time there was an issue like that, and I'm not required to do anything else.  She sent me another increasingly aggressive message pushing the return, and I reported her for circumventing policy, and harassment.  This is something she could just easily wash if she felt it was a little dirty.  I find it interesting she did not open the correct case and say this at first, which makes me think she's making it up.  I've never had someone like this.  What else can I do?

You are lucky that you have a buyer who is clueless on how to return something.

If she had simply filed SNAD you would have had to send her a return label and refund her upon return.

Do know that this buyer can still go to paypal or her credit card company which are very generous in allowing the buyer to return something and get their money back.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Apparently you’re here to be a right fighter and moral police not to actually sell things. Your choice but with your actions you choose the reaction

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Yes, I do know.  I've actually had a buyer a few months ago go to Paypal and tell them the item was old and damaged after she lost the ebay case she opened as remorse because it was too small.  (Yes, there were measurements.  She even said she buys this brand all the time which tells me she didn't read the listing).  I took screenshots of the original ebay case with her screen name saying it was a fit issue.  PP closed it in my favor since I had proof she was lying.  She left me a neutral, but whatever.

POsTiNg Id
Message 6 of 36
latest reply

wrote:

Apparently you’re here to be a right fighter and moral police not to actually sell things. Your choice but with your actions you choose the reaction

So, to you selling things means to lose money on the shipping, and to have it come back just to avoid an unhappy and looney buyer's wrath?  That's not selling.  Feel free to have your garage empty, then keep filling back up.  You obviously feel you're right and you keepfighting to tell me I'm wrong, which is hilarious because you say that's what I'm incorrect in doing.  Please enlighten me on how what you do is actually any better?

POsTiNg Id
Message 7 of 36
latest reply

If you’re refunding purchase price only how would you be losing money on shipping? 

Im not here for drama, just to sell stuff.

I allow returns for any reason. I hardly ever get them. 

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

wrote:

I'm not here to fight with buyers.  I'm here to get stuff out of my house for money.  All they have to do, is grow up, and follow the rules like I have to and unfortunately I'm one of the few who believes in reading a listing and rules.  I've also tried accommodating buyers only to have it bite me as well.  So in this case, to answer my question, what else can I do?

He did answer your question and gave you an example of what else you can do.  You just did not like his example 🙂 

Here are some other things you can do: 

• Ignore his messages
  •  Accept the return
  • Give the buyer a full refund without a return
  • Give the buyer a partial refund without a return
  • Hire a lawyer and sue him
  • Antagonize him until he retaliates
  • Stamp your feet
  • Send flowers for Valentines Day
  • Nothing

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Yes, it's true.  In the spirit of Valentine's Day, I know that bending over and taking it is a thought on everyone's mind right now.  It's not on mine though, especially when it comes to my business.  Only the sale on chocolate after and the two midterms I have.  I did not like someone telling me to stop doing this and that like a petulant child.  I would have liked an actual answer.  I already antagonized, and everything else is comical, but a big nope.

POsTiNg Id
Message 10 of 36
latest reply

I applaud you, I also sell with no returns, and awhile back, a gentleman in penn state just had to open a snad case, and wanted to return a used record, the advert said as is, sale final. Well, I lost the ebay case, but about two weeks later I called PP and they reversed that, and I got the record back and got to keep their money, thats right, pp snatched the money right back and awarded it to me, hang in there and fight, good for you, it can be done, I am also in the business of selling things for money, keep your pp account empty, that will help and don't take no for an answer, I hate people that can't seem to understand how to read an advert before they buy, and just get it in their head that they are special because they bought something on ebay........ good going, I love to hear these people like me, good going, this blog is for the seller, not the buyer, I guess ebay has to pay sometimes and they hate it.
Message 11 of 36
latest reply

wrote:

So you gave her a piece of your mind, "explaining" what she is already aware of, and then got mad and reported her after you antagonized her?

Things rarely end well when an unhappy buyer is denied a remedy.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

wrote:

Soiled is not "new", but it is SNAD. Pay for the return and issue a full refund. Or wait for the next case, from paypal...and a chargeback through a debit or credit card is possible after that.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 13 of 36
latest reply

I think in this case ep - the buyer came up with that 2nd fault as the item was new and as described but not to her liking.

OP - I applaud you standing your ground - but have found after 20 yrs here that sometimes you take the path of least resistance. I stood my ground on an SNAD claim when it was clearly remorse just a few months ago - I won the Ebay case - but then the buyer filed a chargeback with her credit card company through Paypal and I lost - the product - the money and received a $20 chargeback fee from Paypal.

You have to pick and choose your battles - not all are worth fighting!

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

"""you have to pick and choose your fights"".....   THIS!

i had a buyer buy an dress that had a ton of watchers and was a super cool example of this particular designers style..

the dress had never been worn, and i took clear pictures and inspected it before i sent it,,

lo and behold,, she sends me a message saying she loves the dress but she found a pinhole near a pocket... and "hopes i will take care of the situation",,,, i can't stand when someone tries to hint around fishing for a discount,.,, i asked for pictures,,and it was literally a small loose thread near  a pocket,, impossible to see ,, anyway..long story short,, i apologized and told her i would be happy to pay for the return, and wave the restocking fee,, and please return for refund,,

well she did not like this one bit,,and said she did not want to return it... and again did everything but come out and say,, i want money back.. lol....  i simpley repeated i would be happy to accept the return.. and lo and behold..she waits a week, then opens up a return request,, then never returns it.. so she just wanted to freeze the funds.....  when i called in to get the return request closed and funds released(after the required days)... the ebay rep told me,, don't worry,, if she leaves negative feedback,, i have noted your account,and it will removed,,,   a month later,,   a big fat negative feedback, telling me i'm the worst ebay seller ever...LOL..

i call ebay,, explain to the rep what happened..and he starts telling me that while he agrees i did nothing wrong, and agrees the buyer did not complete the return request.. and he could read the messages with her hinting about me "working it out with her"....    he thought that the feedback was opinion,,so it wasn't eligible for removal......

i could have fought it,, and waisted more time trying to get the right ebay rep.. but i just said, forget it.. i replied to the negative feedback with the truth,, and will just leave it there...

i can't fight every single thing.. and sometimes there are just bad buyers,, most are great.. most transactions are easy,, but  the time it takes to try and remove this feedback is not worth it,, i think buyers who are serious can read feedback and tell when a buyer is just trying to be spiteful..

Message 15 of 36
latest reply