cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEFRAUDED again by a buyer!

I sold an item for $1400, 2 days after the buyer received it he claims the touch display didn’t work. The item is a HMI screen for a plastics press.   I have 35 years as an electrical engineer and perfect selling rating.  I test and video tape EVERYTHING before it leaves my facility.  The buyer “an individual with a small plastics press in his garage” after our communication breakdown he opens a case, eBay day on the case for over a week then found in favor of the buyer.   Eventually the item was received back to my facility electrically damaged.  The unit has 3 header style pin connectors for the 3 ribbons, 2 are the same 10 pin.   After a forensic inspection of the circuitry, and the cable connectors anatomy.  I discovered the damage would have been absolutely and unequivocally done by placing the connectors in the wrong places right down to knowing the 24vdc from connector 1 being placed into connector 2. Now you may ask, why are the connectors able to do that? First up say I’m not the manufacture.  B&R is, also I’m a qualified engineer. And not a back yard mechanic.  eBay threw me right to the wolves, Closed the case in the buyers favor and refused to allow me an appeal.  I’m FURIOUS! I took down all “over 800” listings with a combined worth in excess of 3/4 million dollars.   I pledged to file suit against the buyer, as well file a mail fraud claim.  I’m also looking for a class action against eBay and it’s flawed buyer return policy.  

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: DEFRAUDED again by a buyer!

I could absolutely repair it.  I just refuse to assume liability, I also refuse to let eBay and the thief win.   We’ll see what happens when I file Monday in small claims.    Thanks everyone for the help! I did come up with a new way to sell without the gestapo eBay.   

Message 46 of 67
latest reply

@partsforautomation 

Let us nosy people know how it goes Smiley Happy

Best to you!

Message 47 of 67
latest reply

So far so good! Started buying on amazon! I don’t know why I never bought things there before? I figure I’m not giving eBay any more of my money.  Buying or selling.   This time I had enough, ironically when I filed the police report they told me this is becoming way more popular.  Theft by deception is what they called it.  I’ll be heading to the buyers hometown Thursday to file suit in small claims court.  Seems they will be interested in the evidence that eBay flat told me they didn’t want.  I also think there’s something on the horizon regarding the  growing amount of angry defrauded sellers as I’ve been contacted for more info from 2 of the several authors of stories I’ve emailed.   I’m feeling much better!!!

Message 48 of 67
latest reply

Have you filed a police report? If your going to take the guy to court you may want to file one first. It’s theft and can only improve your chances in court. Also open a case with whoever you shipped with.
Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 49 of 67
latest reply

I filed a police report here today, I’m heading the 77 miles to file a police report in his hometown and file suit Thursday.   I had to wait for the emails from the mfgr of the equipment, I actually spoke to the same person who was providing tech support to the buyer.  Ironically he thought the buyer may have connected the plugs wrong in the very beginning of their communications.   

Message 50 of 67
latest reply

Sounds ridiculous. I am glad I do not sell the high $.  Items as the small returns is bad enough for me. I would find that joker take him to court for that kind of cash.  And to destroy your product.   That's  junk.   It is because of things like happened to you.   Is the reason for me to have no confidence in E bay of any protection for sellers.  I hope this dose not destroy your e bay.  And never happens to you again. 

Message 51 of 67
latest reply

I can’t afford to sell higher end items here. I have an antique 12k gold diamond ring I want to sell but this is the last place I would consider.
Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 52 of 67
latest reply

I’m done selling on eBay.  I pulled over 800 listings valued over 3/4 million dollars.   I won’t ever let this happen to me again. All while eBay counts my cash laughing because they DO NOT care.  

Message 53 of 67
latest reply

I don’t blame you! DO NOT list it on eBay!!! I’d never risk jewelry on eBay EVER! That comes from a 20+ year eBay seller! Let eBay keep enabling Chinese sellers who aren’t even in this country despite their listing stating USA seller.  I plan on fighting this as far as I possibly can! 

Message 54 of 67
latest reply

On the topic of this string.

Another fix is the eBay return system requiring buyers to return a damage item if insured. We the seller have to pay that postage. The requirement to return the item is direct conflict with the USPS insurance program. I have provided this information to anchor team support in the near past.

The USPS insurance program states when you file a claim that the individual with the item should keep it in their possession. They also prefer the receiver / buyer to file the claim. In that order they can inspect the item if required and deal with the individual who states its damage. They may want the box, and all packaging material. If they agree, they send the refund to the individual who filed the claim.

We checked the USPS internet site and it states for Damaged or Missing Contents for claims:

- If you received something damaged, please hang onto the original packaging and the damaged item until your claim is settled. You may be asked to take them to your local Post Office™ for inspection later.  Please do not reship the package.

Bottom line, since eBay is in direct conflict with the USPS guidance, if your items are insured, you are paying postage not required to be paid to have it returned. USPS also places the emphasis on the receiver of the item to file the claim, not the sender. When we file the claim we have to receive our refund check from the USPS.  The buyer gets his refund from the eBay return system after we receive it back or ay them up front. 

eBay policy favors the buyer over the seller to appease the buyer. Another example of concern of market share over sellers. Forces the seller have to carry the burden fiscally. 

I am only referring the USPS insurance claim program, it is only the tip of the iceberg because of the multitude of other carriers that ship eBay orders and there internal insurance policies.

Message 55 of 67
latest reply

Any Updates on actions? 

Message 56 of 67
latest reply

Just playing devils advocate for a moment:

1.) Doesn't look like your part has the obvious (look like each other ) 10 pin clearly labeled. Any Attny for the buyer will easily get this thrown out. 

2.) Electronics can fail if thrown around, thrown on the ground, high in the air, across a room, in and out of trucks etc. Therefore, electronics are not 'fool proof' as an item shipped. 

3.) You cannot prove that the buyer did what you said- you could have done it, someone in your warehouse could have done it, it could have been a previously returned item that you accidently, or purposely, sent out that someone else did what you said (if you can prove it). 

Therefore, no malice and 'mail fraud' by the buyer

And finally

4.) You got to the item back. No loss, no class action. 

Message 57 of 67
latest reply

My suggestion, cap the value of what you sell/post to an amount that lets you sleep at night. 

Message 58 of 67
latest reply

Complex equipment that can fry out if connected incorrectly is like selling 2000 dollar drones to first time flyers.  First flight out the drone is 3/4 miles out exceeds its range and drops like a rock in the middle of the lake, sinks to the bottom irretrievable.  The buyer files a case blaming the seller for a defective item, when its really the inexperience of the operator exceeding range.  Rest of the story, well you know where that goes. Moral of the story dont sell 2000 dollar drones to first time flyers, sell 200 dollar drones...or accept all the risks. 

Message 59 of 67
latest reply

and shampoo still has detailed directions on it... just sayin

Message 60 of 67
latest reply