cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corona Virus Hate Mail from Buyer

I'm a seller in Washington State.  I received this message from one of my buyers.

"Have you sent the package off yet?
I noticed that you are in Washington state. If you have not.don't send it to me.You should not be selling anything out of that state due to your corona epidemic. Shame... Just keep the money dummy"

I was upset and sat on this for several days.  I did not respond to this buyer.  I couldn't find any discussion from Ebay about whether packages are safe since the virus can live on surfaces anywhere from a few minutes to 9 days (per medical providers on TV).  Does Ebay have a responsibility to be proactive on this issue?  What are other sellers hearing and how are you responding?

Thanks

Nancy

Message 1 of 155
latest reply
154 REPLIES 154

Re: Corona Virus Hate Mail from Buyer

Free money. What the problem is?

Message 2 of 155
latest reply

@cricket-n wrote:

I'm a seller in Washington State.  I received this message from one of my buyers.

I noticed that you are in Washington state. If you have not.don't send it to me.You should not be selling anything out of that state due to your corona epidemic. Shame... Just keep the money dummy"

I was upset and sat on this for several days.  I did not respond to this buyer.  I couldn't find any discussion from Ebay about whether packages are safe since the virus can live on surfaces anywhere from a few minutes to 9 days (per medical providers on TV).  Does Ebay have a responsibility to be proactive on this issue?  What are other sellers hearing and how are you responding?

Thanks

Nancy

Very good subject for the Wednesday chats.

tyler@ebay 

Message 3 of 155
latest reply

Do the right thing and refund your buyer in full. Eat any fees incurred by this transaction. Donate the masks to a shelter or orphanage and you will feel great about it.

Message 4 of 155
latest reply

I was wondering when messages like that would start. If they are that worried about it, they shouldn’t shop online. More than half the states have people that have tested positive.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 5 of 155
latest reply

I would just refund them using buyer requested to cancel order. To each their own, it takes all types and you just got a uniformed one. The situation with this virus is verging on someone yelling fire or gun in a crowded environment. People fighting over and hoarding toilet paper is just insane.

Message 6 of 155
latest reply

Just let it go and survive it, so to speak. There will be plenty of time for blame later. Start with an administration that says things like "go to work even if you're sick", "the virus is contained", "cases will go to zero soon", "the virus will disappear in April when it's warmer".

It's going to get bad. Just focus on surviving it as a seller. Give the buyer a refund and let it go. Do what you need to do for your business, given the misinformation that's out there (and getting worse).

PS - Choose your media wisely and always consider your sources. 9 days? For a virus? On a dry, cold, surface? Seems very unlikely. The real number is likely hours, not days, but again...let it go.

Message 7 of 155
latest reply

I am from Washington State too and I'm only 3 miles from the Idaho State border.  I was wondering when someone was going to flip out about this.  I have not had any buyers go off on me about this.  If I did, I wouldn't try to reason with them because you cannot reason with people that are uninformed and crazy.  I'd refund them and probably block them.  I don't see any reason to have any future business with them.

Message 8 of 155
latest reply

That sounds like the right move.

Keep in mind you never know who you're dealing with. It could be an elderly person with health issues who is freaked due to lack of actual information and is relying on friends/family/local news, and maybe they heard "some viruses can live on surfaces for up to 9 days" as "this virus can live for 9 days", which as of yesterday was not established by the way, per the CDC.

Message 9 of 155
latest reply

................general reply................

I am in a morbid mood.No one is talking about the few dozen ebayers who died this past weekend.Most of them were expected but not all.I think that people need to keep things in perspective.Next week in the USA 50,000 people will die,some had ebay accounts.Ebay users die at a normal rate,just like expected,it has little to do with the virus.

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 10 of 155
latest reply

I noticed that you are in Washington state

I'm in PA & just picked up a package@my PO with something I purchased from Seattle very recently. People are just getting antsy, don't take it personally. BUT, I did clean the item off with bacterial wipes,put the paper mailer in my burn barrel,and scrubbed afterwards like I was performing major surgery. Mail in general makes me go "ugh",way too many hands touching it. ❇️

Message 11 of 155
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@cricket-n wrote:

Thanks

Nancy

Very good subject for the Wednesday chats.

tyler@ebay 

Hi @cricket-n & @papermoneyforme, any members that may raise concerns in regard to coronavirus and receiving packages can be directed to the Word Health Organization website (specifically this page) for correct information. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 12 of 155
latest reply

@upgradedendmills wrote:

Do the right thing and refund your buyer in full. Eat any fees incurred by this transaction. Donate the masks to a shelter or orphanage and you will feel great about it.

I almost agree with upgradedenmills.  I say refund the buyer and relist the item. You'll get that same warm fuzzy feeling when your item re-sells.  😃

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 13 of 155
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
I was wondering when messages like that would start. If they are that worried about it, they shouldn’t shop online. More than half the states have people that have tested positive.

Don't some people realize that physical stores get most their stuff from China to resell it?  Sad.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 14 of 155
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
I was wondering when messages like that would start.

When will they start? We had a "why is china still allowed to sell here?" thread on this board for about a week 🙂 

Message 15 of 155
latest reply