cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused - Buyer Changed Username and there was NO 30 Day Username Change Icon Displayed

Hey All - Thanks for Looking at this - So I have a Buyer who purchased  9 of the same items from me - They left nice feedback and all has gone well up to now(close to 2 weeks after the sale) - They inquired if I had more of the items and I discovered I had 10 More - The Buyer says he wants them - No Problem, But 3 weird things are happening(2 of which I have never seen before).

1st: The Buyer is a bit impatient and sends me 3-4  emails asking if I got his last email if I do not reply quickly - That actually put our accounts in SPAM ALERT Mode and neither of us could send or reply to each other. I have never seen this before. I would think I we(users) would need to report contacts as spam. Ebay automatically activated SPAM MODE and left us without being able to speak to each other.  Really??

2nd: Initially, the Buyer was sending messages and/or responding with the username he 1st purchased the items from. I noticed the username completely changed - some messages that were replies to older messages that had his original username were coming through as RE: "old username", but were being sent from the new username?? - Also, when I click on sold items, the new username has replaced the old username - Thing is, this buyer had no 30 day name change Icon next to their username which is something  ebay says will be posted for 30 days on their profile if someone were to change their username. Any thoughts as to what may be going on there??

3rd: The buyer and I can now contact each other again - I have not received a response since I inquired about how they were able to change their username without having the "name change icon" posted - The last contact they sent asked me not to list the item until I let them know I am going to list it and that they would be able to pay tomorrow once they get A REFUND posted to their account.

This all has me very wary - Any insights or help would be appreciated - Thanks

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Confused - Buyer Changed Username and there was NO 30 Day Username Change Icon Displayed

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

I inquired about how they were able to change their username without having the "name change icon" posted

I would be directing that question to eBay, not to the buyer 🙂

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Re: Confused - Buyer Changed Username and there was NO 30 Day Username Change Icon Displayed

@luckthewinner
Thank You - I think thats good advise - Knee jerk was to inquire with buyer especially since asking ebay anything is so hard to do these days and the info you get is more often times than not questionable.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Hi @isaiah53-57 

I haven't seen that '30-day new User ID' icon for years ... so I'm not sure they still have them.  [It's no longer possible to see a list of a member's Usernames in their Feedback Profile any more.]

If there IS still a 'new ID' icon ... then it likely is just a glitch that is doesn't show.  A member would have no control over removing the icon.

I haven't heard of any SPAM ALERT mode that eBay could enforce ... but eBay is paranoid about 'off-eBay transactions', so perhaps they have a limit as to how many back-and-forth messages members can send.

I'm afraid I haven't been very helpful in addressing your concerns.   🙁

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@house*of*paws wrote:

Hi @isaiah53-57 

I haven't seen that '30-day new User ID' icon for years ... so I'm not sure they still have them.  [It's no longer possible to see a list of a member's Usernames in their Feedback Profile any more.]

If there IS still a 'new ID' icon ... then it likely is just a glitch that is doesn't show.  A member would have no control over removing the icon.

I haven't heard of any SPAM ALERT mode that eBay could enforce ... but eBay is paranoid about 'off-eBay transactions', so perhaps they have a limit as to how many back-and-forth messages members can send.

I'm afraid I haven't been very helpful in addressing your concerns.   🙁

Thank You for the reply - What you wrote in both instances is kind of what I was thinking may be the case - Your thoughts on the matter are Much Appreciated!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

This says that the icon should show up for 30 days.  https://www.ebay.com/help/account/changing-account-settings/changing-username?id=4198&st=12&pos=1&qu...

There is a Contact Us link at the botton that, if you bore down can get you to Contacting an Agent and asking for a call back.

Something is fishy here, I'd be very worried about selling to this buyer again.

Yes; and the Blocked Bidder List you can also checkmark where that buyer CANNOT contact you any longer. 

It also doesn't work. Hasn't for 5+ years. 

So, just figure 1 of 2 things..

It no longer shows 30 day change of name 

or... this is a completely different person sending you messages and really wants you to ship the item to them instead of the winner? 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@rebell45 wrote:

This says that the icon should show up for 30 days.  https://www.ebay.com/help/account/changing-account-settings/changing-username?id=4198&st=12&pos=1&qu...

There is a Contact Us link at the botton that, if you bore down can get you to Contacting an Agent and asking for a call back.

Something is fishy here, I'd be very worried about selling to this buyer again.

Thank You - I read that also and thats why I posted - it does say in the help pages the icon will be there for 30 days following a username change - Thank You for Your Help!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Yes; and the Blocked Bidder List you can also checkmark where that buyer CANNOT contact you any longer. 

It also doesn't work. Hasn't for 5+ years. 

So, just figure 1 of 2 things..

It no longer shows 30 day change of name 

or... this is a completely different person sending you messages and really wants you to ship the item to them instead of the winner? 

Dont understand how ebay does nothing about these glitches - if they cant fix them, at least update the help pages right?

I do know it is the same person, as I mentioned in the OP the previous sold items changed to the new username of this user in my sold items history - He did reply back and was apologetic - He even sent me a picture of the box I sent the 1st order in as proof he was the same person haha

Thank You for Your insight!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I saw that new user shiny icon on a buyer of mine in the recent month...  Just saying, not trying to start any arguments.  But I promise you, I did see it recently, so it's not altogether gone.  Or, is there another one for changed username?  I could be wrong here...

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

yes good advise

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

deleted zombie thread

Message 12 of 12
latest reply