cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming soon? Sellers may not raise a price. REAL reason some see fees after edits!

I wonder ...

The new ebay help pages are not only much less helpful that the old pages, they are kind of scary.  Do they portend things to come?

Case in point, according to the article, "Revising a listing",  sellers may edit listings to lower the price under certain situations, but there is no allowance for raising the price!  The article states:

"For fixed price (Buy It Now) listings and auction listings with more than 12 hours left and no bids, you can lower the price."  There is no mention of the ability to edit a listing to raise a price.

Many of us have seen additional fees assessed after editing listings.  In at least one thread on the topic, "Being charged a fee for each revision",   trinton@ebay assures us that while the fee is appearing after edits, it is just a "glitch", those fees are not actually being charged.   

Maybe its not so much a "glitch", but actually a "glimpse" of things to come: ebay charging for revisions to raise the price.

By the way ebay... why I was looking in the first place... Why can't I lower the price on an auction with no bids even if there is less than 12 hours remaining?  What makes this the one time ebay doesn't want a sale at any price?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Coming soon? Sellers may not raise a price. REAL reason some see fees after edits!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mycheaperstuff wrote:

I wonder ...

The new ebay help pages are not only much less helpful that the old pages, they are kind of scary.  Do they portend things to come?

Case in point, according to the article, "Revising a listing",  sellers may edit listings to lower the price under certain situations, but there is no allowance for raising the price!  The article states:

"For fixed price (Buy It Now) listings and auction listings with more than 12 hours left and no bids, you can lower the price."  There is no mention of the ability to edit a listing to raise a price.

Many of us have seen additional fees assessed after editing listings.  In at least one thread on the topic, "Being charged a fee for each revision",   trinton@ebay assures us that while the fee is appearing after edits, it is just a "glitch", those fees are not actually being charged.   

Maybe its not so much a "glitch", but actually a "glimpse" of things to come: ebay charging for revisions to raise the price.

By the way ebay... why I was looking in the first place... Why can't I lower the price on an auction with no bids even if there is less than 12 hours remaining?  What makes this the one time ebay doesn't want a sale at any price?

Hi @mycheaperstuff, I can confirm that there are no fees for revising a listing and that any who have seen this lately are running into an error that we are working to resolve. To be clear, this is only a graphical error and the fees are not applied to the invoice.

As for raising the price, our system may prevent you from significantly increasing the price of a listing. This block is determined by a number of factors including the price, % increase, and how the higher price compares to the overall market. You are still able to increase the price - you'll just have to end the listing and relist. There are also instances where an increase in price is allowed, but would result in a corresponding insertion fee depending on the factors mentioned previously. This has been the case and is not a recent or impending change and the visual error that some are seeing when revising their listings is unrelated to this process.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 26 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

@mycheaperstuff wrote:

I wonder ...

Many of us have seen additional fees assessed after editing listings.  In at least one thread on the topic, "Being charged a fee for each revision",   'trinton' assures us that while the fee is appearing after edits, it is just a "glitch", those fees are not actually being charged.   

Of course, not even the hired-hands can guarantee what tomorrow will bring.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I think it's more likely a throwback to the days when it cost more per listing the higher the price was.

I raised a few prices the other day as an experiment and there was no fee.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
I think it's more likely a throwback to the days when it cost more per listing the higher the price was.....

That's absolutely what it is.  That language has been in there forever.

You can see it in the Help pages for Canada which are still in the old-timey format:

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 7.05.35 PM.png

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/revising_restrictions.html

At the top of the list in the above image, you can see a reference to the listing upgrade fee for 10-day auctions, which has been gone for many years.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

I revised a few listings today - just to sell these things - on about every 5th revision - I was charged a 20 cent fee - but it wasn't actually charged to my acct - what I had done tho on those listings - was raise the price $2 and then gave free shipping where as the other listings were already free shipping and I just lowered the price.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

I thought it was just me!  When submitting changes in prices on items or shipping I was charged. It is not a lot but it's the point. We already pay, why pay more for revisions? Not good business.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Why on earth would anyone wish to Raise the price

in the last 12 hours?

?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

variety_nook
Trailblazer

I revise my listings somewhat frequently depending on sales of any particular item. I've never been charged a fee for revising, NEVER! regardless of whether I raise or lower the price or insert new photos. 

I think that you're being somewhat paranoid and reading into eBay policy that which is'nt there. Case in point... your post....... 

The article states:

Perhaps you should call customer service with your concerns.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

I tried to lower a price yesterday and saw a fee.  I backed out so as not to be charged.  Has been happening for weeks.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@variety_nook wrote:

I revise my listings somewhat frequently depending on sales of any particular item. I've never been charged a fee for revising, NEVER! regardless of whether I raise or lower the price or insert new photos. 

I think that you're being somewhat paranoid and reading into eBay policy that which is'nt there. Case in point... your post....... 

The article states:

Perhaps you should call customer service with your concerns.

As I mentioned, I think they haven't revised the help pages since the time when the listing fee was dependant on price, as the header of the page the poster quoted says this "You can usually make changes to your eBay listings, but there are some restrictions depending on what you want to change and when. There's no fee to revise a listing unless you add a special feature or raise your asking price."

So in fact, that help page DOES mention a fee for raising the price = )

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

In the large majority of cases, it's showing a fee but not charging it when you submit. Though there have been a few reports from sellers that they were indeed charged for a revision.

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

It was another necessary change Ebay made years ago to stop scamming sellers. Back then you paid to list depending on the asking price. People would list at the cheaper cost then raise the price later in the duration of the listing to avoid paying more for the listing. OP, no it is NOT coming soon, don't worry. 

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
I think it's more likely a throwback to the days when it cost more per listing the higher the price was.

I raised a few prices the other day as an experiment and there was no fee.

Yep

From 2007

https://web.archive.org/web/20071012145829/http://pages.ebay.com:80/help/sell/edit_listing.html

Auction-style listing

Time left before the listing ends

Did the listing receive bids?

What you can revise

More than 12 hours

No

• Revise any information except the format. In addition, the duration cannot be extended if two or more hours have passed since the listing was submitted.
  • Remove the following optional features only: Buy It Now, eBay Picture Upgrades, Reserve Price, 10-day listing.
  • Add optional features to increase your item's visibility (for example, bold.)
  • Add or change a Gallery picture.
  • Add or change pictures using eBay Picture Hosting.
  • Reduce the start price of your item. (You will not receive credit for the difference in your insertion fees.)

^^^Gee, this looks familiar^^^

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Well there's nothing like noticing something and having a grand time of extrapolating to get the heart racing LOL

signed
Chicken Little

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

Why on earth would anyone wish to Raise the price

in the last 12 hours?

?

Lynn

Because it's their item and they should be able do whatever they want with it?

I used to relist with higher prices all the time. Lots of times the item then sold.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 15 of 27
latest reply