cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clothing sellers: Does your item run big or small?

Am I alone when I say I really don't like this question when it's asked about a listing that has a size chart with measurements? It tells me that the buyer strictly buys according to size label (Small, med, large, etc) and doesn't pay attention to the measurements. That can be a potential problem down the road if they purchase and return the item (for free returns) or worse... the false SNAD.

Many of my listings have clear size charts in the description as well as a photo screenshot uploaded (for those who never read descriptions). When a buyer asks me this question, I always say the same thing and refer them to my size chart in numerous areas of the listing and tell them to compare the measurements with their own and buy accordingly. Some even say okay and continue to ask if it's runs big/small... I always thought an inch is an inch no matter where you are.

Do some people just refuse to take responsibility and know their measurements or god forbid... measure themselves to find out?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I sell a lot of clothing. I takes measurements of each item in the pictures. But I haven't had that particular question asked.

The question I get asked at least once a day is...

Can you give me the measurements of the waist or hips or rise or inseam or hem etc...

A lot of buyers only look at the first picture I guess.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

Am I alone when I say I really don't like this question when it's asked about a listing that has a size chart with measurements? It tells me that the buyer strictly buys according to size label (Small, med, large, etc) and doesn't pay attention to the measurements. That can be a potential problem down the road if they purchase and return the item (for free returns) or worse... the false SNAD.

Many of my listings have clear size charts in the description as well as a photo screenshot uploaded (for those who never read descriptions). When a buyer asks me this question, I always say the same thing and refer them to my size chart in numerous areas of the listing and tell them to compare the measurements with their own and buy accordingly. Some even say okay and continue to ask if it's runs big/small... I always thought an inch is an inch no matter where you are.

Do some people just refuse to take responsibility and know their measurements or god forbid... measure themselves to find out?

A lot of people (especially women ) don't own or claim not to own a measuring tape and would never consider buying one just to measure their clothing.

If I might counter, some sellers try to answer this question and make things worse. There is a seller who posted her about measurements a few years back who said that she NEVER puts the marked size in the title or Item Specifics because it's 'misleading' but she decides on the size based on measurements. The result is that she declares a size 6 blouse is size 16 because it is gathered into the front and back yoke and the bust is 46" around.   When I pointed out to her that she doesn't also measure the circumference at the wrist and neck for example, at which point she might realize that a 'true size 16' couldn't wear that blouse with the neck button buttoned or sleeve cuffs buttoned, she brushed me off and said I was being ridiculous.

I try to avoid answering whether an item runs big or small - after all, big or small compared to what? To other garments by that designer?  To eBay's size chart? To some unstandardized standard? To someone's judgement call?

I get a lot of questions like "Is that a true size 10?"  or I'm  5' 6" and have a 34" waist and 46" hips.  Will this fit me?    I might have a go at the second question, although cautiously, but I don't even try with the first question - I refer them as you do to the garment's measurements vs their own best fitting garments' measurements.

Clothing is tricky.  I know - I've been selling it here since 1998 and I've never found the perfect solution.  I've said before that sometimes I'm not sure that our measurements are helping us - not when buyers can say anything about their purchase in a SNAD complaint and win the case.  I have had buyers who I think otherwise would choose WRONG SIZE/DOESN'T FIT (a non SNAD return) instead choose DOESN'T MATCH THE DESCRIPTION (a SNAD return which is more expensive for me as I'm on the hook for shipping both ways) and claim that the waist (or other measurement) was wrong by XXX inches.  I get it back and to this day, not once has my measurement actually been wrong at all, never mind by xxx inches.  The buyer has cleverly used my measurements against me to get a free try-on service. 

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

This is why I take pictures of the clothing with a measuring tape. Hard to say the item is a different measurement when its right in the pictures.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@remote_controls_and_more wrote:

A lot of buyers only look at the first picture I guess.

Darn! And here I am with the size chart uploaded as the second picture... like a sucker.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Just a general reply . . .

Size 12 Jeans#2.jpg

Message 6 of 6
latest reply