cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clothing sales dramatically down.

I am relatively new to ebay, but have done relatively well considering I am a newbie. I have tried to follow advice from community discussions and researched items before posting them. I tried to take good photos and provide lot of information.  I checked other selling platform for price suggestion on the items I post. Occasionally my sales have slowed down, but in the last 4 weeks that have completely stopped... not even offers. I know that summer can be slower, but this is depressing.  I can use some advice. Thank you all.

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Clothing sales dramatically down.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism. You have some beautiful clothes! But on the majority of tops and dresses you have no bust measurements, and many don’t show hip size either. I don’t buy a lot of clothing online (I’ve never understood how anyone can buy jeans that way lol), but those 2 measurements are crucial for me. The fact that you have a lot of views and few sales could be attributed to that. And, as others have said, the clothing category is flooded. I realize buyers could contact you for exact measurements but that gets tiresome after a while. Wish I had the lifestyle for some of your outfits! Hope sales pick up for you!

Message 31 of 44
latest reply

dept stores are marking down their apparels 60% down ,used apparel websites can be 90%,you have tough competition

Message 32 of 44
latest reply

I know...but at least 50% of my listing if not more is new with tags. Still
Message 33 of 44
latest reply

Thank you for your input. Really appreciate it. I try to add measurements as much as possible. People will buy jeans or some pieces if the stores ran out of the sizes/colors, and they are familiar with the brand/style. This is particularly true for Zara. I will be switching slowly to poshmark.
Message 34 of 44
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

I've had GTC going for a while longer Then its been mandatory.  During that time I've had months were I had bursts in items selling and months were nothing sold I don't thing gtc has anything to do with the slump    

And as a buyer items ending soon hasn't created a since of urgency for me every. At least not with fixed price listings I know many times these items get relisted.   I always have about the same amount of urgency no matter when it will end because a seller can end it at any time in fact that risk has now increased since many are talking about ending them before they would relist.  Other buyers can come along and buy it.  

I agree with all of this.  It's like having stores pulling non-perishable merchandise after 5 or 7 days - heck, they'd miss half their foot traffic!  I've been caught like that myself - I put something on my watch list, think about it and - oh dang, it sold, because unlike regular stores, there is only one - if you want it, you'd better go ahead and purchase.  When we actually had meaningful statistics I found that about half of my buyers visited my store every 1-3 days - I'm a bit of a niche seller.  The rest visited anywhere from every week to just once in a while, were new, etc..  For my regular visitors I make sure I have something new for them to see on a regular basis, but the rest of my visitors, well, I keep my items running so they can shop those as well as anything new I have, like any other store.  To create excitement, I run sales with limited durations.

It's really different than auctions, from where this short-duration idea came from.  IAC, you can take items down whenever you wish - 5 or 7 or 10 days and relist if you wish if that model has been working well - we had to pay for that, anyway, at least I did -  I went from a premium store down to a basic store without all of that relisting because I didn't need all of those 'free' listings anymore - I may pay $10-15 per month for extra listings, but I save @$35-40/month.  If I wanted to keep the short-duration fixed price listings, if I thought they were working better, I would have kept the premium store and kept that. I tested all this out before I even knew they were going to GTC by going to partially GTC and partially 30-day listings. I thought it would kill my sales - it didn't. That's why I didn't feel blind-sided by the switch to GTC. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 35 of 44
latest reply

Hi there

I also sell some popular brand clothing, but sales have been horrible. I am adding missing measurements and other info. I am a very small seller only added clothing to make up for buyers lost interest in vintage antique. Sold tole, chandeliers, lamps and other home decor took a nose dive!

I have been looking at Poshmark too, but seems they take 20% of the final value. Do you know anything about their fees?

Sheila

Message 36 of 44
latest reply

Yes I know but they offer much easier and chipper shipping (flat fee). I spend sometimes a lot on shipping on ebay. They also do not charge listing fees. You should go and read more on the subject. Clothing is their specialty and that is why I will have to move my stuff there. Ebay does not care or want me ... I am a small time seller.
Message 37 of 44
latest reply

Poshmark is a lot of work - be prepared to put time into it every.single.day.  You'll get the new user boost, then after that it's all up to you.  There are upsides to it, and downsides.

ETA: Your sizes may do better over there; though I sell all sizes, there's a big market for little sizes (in fact, sometimes I despair to find a size 10 on there that's not something from Leslie Fay or a hyper-expensive Lululemon). 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 38 of 44
latest reply

what are their fees?

thanks

Message 39 of 44
latest reply

Thanks for the input. Yes it does seem like lot of work and that is why I have been postponing it. I am retired now and have time, but what finally did it was eBay - it is just awful and I did invest lot of time in it, but it is just not the right platform for me.

Message 40 of 44
latest reply

For sales over $15, it is 20%. This is only justifiable if your sales items are mostly new ... Also when I want to sell some bulkier clothes or boots on eBay, shipping cost is just a killer. Shipping on poshmark is flat rate of only $6.79 (I believe up to 5lbs) - for me that is a huge saving. The biggest drawback for me is that you have to use your cell phone for selling - unlike ebay that I do on computer. It will be cumbersome doing it on cell.
Message 41 of 44
latest reply

Me too. 

Message 42 of 44
latest reply

I agree. 

Message 43 of 44
latest reply

agreed ! My sales have been very down since they did this! Such a bummer