cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clothing sales dramatically down.

I am relatively new to ebay, but have done relatively well considering I am a newbie. I have tried to follow advice from community discussions and researched items before posting them. I tried to take good photos and provide lot of information.  I checked other selling platform for price suggestion on the items I post. Occasionally my sales have slowed down, but in the last 4 weeks that have completely stopped... not even offers. I know that summer can be slower, but this is depressing.  I can use some advice. Thank you all.

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Clothing sales dramatically down.

One listing I looked at, had no measurements.

Had a size listed, but most clothes buyers want measurements.

A medium shirt from 5 different brands will be 5 different sizes.

Have a great day

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

I would suggest adding more casual/summery stuff to your selection - you have very nice items, but they tend toward evening/cool weather/career with just a few summery pieces.  My experience in the summer is that the casual items move better.  So, more listings with more variety with an emphasis on casual. Think "relaxed".

June and July can be very slow, but I think you can fix this - you're off to a good start!.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 44
latest reply

Hey Svetlana.

Welcome to e-Bay and wishing you hear lots of cha-chings.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing a disappointing response to your listings.   As you mention; summer can be a slower time of year for sellers.

I'm mostly a buyer and I purchased a dress this morning; so I hope you'll find some reassurance in knowing that we're out here.

I'm mostly a buyer of fashion; just in case that's a line you sell.

TTYS,

Jaime

Message 3 of 44
latest reply

I've been selling clothes for YEARS.

I have NEVER had 2 days without an offer or a sale EVER in the last 12 years.

Something is amiss.
Message 4 of 44
latest reply

One listing I looked at, had no measurements.

Had a size listed, but most clothes buyers want measurements.

A medium shirt from 5 different brands will be 5 different sizes.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 44
latest reply

I only looked at a few items and they all had measurements, but I agree all need measurements.

Another thing to remember - the fewer items one has listed, the more they will feel the ups and downs of normal retailing because their foot traffic is less. Unless one is very very niche, i.e., selling items that people come looking for you to purchase, I'd suggest going for about 150 listings.  Try to stay in-season - that's particularly important for a small store.

I've sold on here for years and my store has been anywhere from 60 items to almost 600, so I've had a chance to run the gamut  on size/throughput, etc.  Where I am now, my sales are steady and it's a good number for me.

The other thing is list daily - if I don't list daily my sales peter out after a few days.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 44
latest reply

It's not just clothing that is not selling! 😞

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

Yes; I am aware of that.

There are no shortage of sellers who are struggling to generate some revenue.

I've seen items in my cart and watch list that I added over a year ago.  

Unless you're some big, brand-name outfit; e-Bay tends to be a buyer's website.

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

Thank u for your kindness.

Message 9 of 44
latest reply

Thank you for the advice. I have removed some older postings for winter. I will add some more items that I hesitated to add due to dismal sales recently.

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

Clothing category is flooded. I mean, flooded.

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

I know... same is happening to me. Lot of views and things in basket. When I hit 200 views I usually remove item and relist later. I try to sell mostly new items at competitive prices, but last month is just so discouraging.

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

And small sellers just cannot compete with those big name brand outfits!! If they don't run us out of business the postal service will! 😞 We need more help for the little guy.

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

Completely agree. One needs to just take a look at retail stores and see the result of hyper production of clothing coming from China. I try to sell mostly new items...I just don't see how used clothing can have a chance of sales other than high brands. However selling high end fashion is so risky due to buyers returns after one time use.

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

You've just finished what I was trying to say.

These big outfits are like the 800-pound gorilla in the room.   The smaller, independent sellers don't stand a chance.  For one thing; the little guy does not have the money to spend on the advertising features.

I live in Canada, and whenever I purchase a fashion item from a seller based in the U.S., I'm susceptible to additional charges from international customs.

Pitney Bowes gouges every dollar they can from the buyer.

Message 15 of 44
latest reply