cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Well after giving it a lot of consideration, my reputation is being tarnished, my sales will be lower, and i will make less money on items, i am thinking about not listing until this test is over, not any auctions at least.  It does not end until february 24th.

There is so many bad risks to this.

Has anyone else who is in this test thought about this?

What do you think?  Is it worth it to lose money and have buyers think you dont put in descriptions in your listings?

Message 346 of 1,018
latest reply

Well, this is hilarious.....looked at some items and I am seeing the descriptions just fine, but when I click on "back to search" I get the white screen of death.  I click on the back arrow and it takes me to the item again.  I am in a loop until I click on the search item again up at the top (in the category).  THEN I get the list of items again.  I tried this on 4 different items with the same result...arghhhhh.  Yes, I know I should start my own thread but I'm too lazy, sorry.

Message 347 of 1,018
latest reply

Anyone notice in the last couple days they changed the top of the page header so now in some browsers it hides behind the search box?

Message 348 of 1,018
latest reply

What the heck is the reasoning behind this?!?  I ACCIDENTALLY found this thread, and now things make so much sense.  I've had a lot of problems lately with buyers saying that they didn't see in the listing that there were any flaws with my items (I sell a lot of vintage so there are imperfections from age).  I thought they just weren't reading the description, now I'm thinking they didn't KNOW there was a description?!?!

Not to mention, I just had a buyer say they didn't know there was a flaw and they "didn't remember seeing it", which was BODLY STATED IN THE DESCRIPTION.  They filed a claim with Ebay, AND WON.  I'm beginning to think Ebay is just getting too ridiculous to deal with anymore...

Message 349 of 1,018
latest reply

Call and appeal

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 350 of 1,018
latest reply

Hey, they *are* trying to be just like Amazon.

I've got a lot of returns because they buyer didn't see the description that stated "manual missing" or "battery will need to be replaced soon", or "#4 on the keypad worn off"

I could see it on the page clearly stated those things, but for some reason the buyer couldn't see them. Heck there are some items I would "prefer" not to have the "buy box" so the buyer could see my notes about the small flaws on an item.

Message 351 of 1,018
latest reply

I am a buyer only.  I would never sell on ebay.  I have enough trouble with regular search and the page after page of items not related to my search.  I just checked I am using Firefox, desktop computer.  Sure enough click for full description came up.  I responded that I hated it and that it would decrease my need to purchase from ebay.  Hope this helps

Message 352 of 1,018
latest reply

Anyone notice in the last couple days they changed the top of the page header so now in some browsers it hides behind the search box?

What I noticed just today is that the whole page is different.  The 'related' items are before the description, etc.  They used to be at the bottom.

Message 353 of 1,018
latest reply

Thanks Crusader Cat, I plan on it....although it's usually more trouble than its worth, the last one I called on I was on hold for an hour and then told "too bad."  It's getting brutal being a seller....I've been selling since Ebay started, it's always been a good source of extra income, but now am considering just throwing in the towel!

Message 354 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@usmc*usnmom wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@ittybitnot wrote:

I'm still waiting for someone/anyone to show me where I was disingenuous by linking to a post in a Weekly Chat form the past few weeks where we discussed this specific issue. I'll check back again later to see if they were able to back up their accusation.

Thanks, Jeff. Are you saying you want something more recent?  From my experience the "board" search is not so hot. I will do my best.  I appreciate your response. 

I'm looking for the backup to the accusation that "it's been brought up in every Weekly Chat for about a year now" and that "it's disingenuous of Jeff to state otherwise." See https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Click-to-view-entire-descripton-What-the-heck/m-p/23621864/hig... for details.

So, I'd like to see a link to a Weekly Chat from the past few weeks where this issue was brought up. I didn't recall this particular issue, so I'm looking forward to reminding myself about it from posts in recent Chats. The link to the Chats is https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/bd-p/weekly-chat

Thanks.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Community-Februar...

I don't see anything about an app issue with free shipping on that thread. Which specific post are you referring to?

If it's post #4, that was a one-day issue that we resolved that day. Is that the issue you think has been reported every week for a year?

I don't believe the issue is exactly when or where the free shipping "glitch" was mentioned.

It has been mentioned countless times on many boards and within many threads on a fairly regular basis.

This issue has been adversely affecting many sellers for well over a year or more that I am aware of.:(

Buyer sees one thing "free ship", while the actual listing as input by the seller when created did indeed have shipping charges.

Bottom line, That is the problem facing sellers.

Management has been well aware of it on many threads, that we were told that they do read.

Phone calls to CS should also show that this issue is a long standing problem.

I personally know several sellers that could not convince a CSR to remove FB when the issue was clearly related to the free shipping *glitch"

I just do not want to see more of the same unnecessary problems due to some program *fiddling* with descriptions that should be upfront & center for buyers to easily access.

Not worth it to me to list, only to have my work altered by "beta testing" and my reputation as a seller possibly suffer as a result.

:(:(

Message 355 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

We run tests in order to see how new features might improve the site and sales. The alternative is that we just implement new programs and features without testing. I'm not sure that's what people want either.

Jeff,

I don't people really object to running tests.

I do not think they object to running tests to see how new features might improve sales.

I think they object to running tests of new features that they strongly believe will negatively impact sales.

How do they know it will negatively impact sales until they test? If it turns out to be negative, we'll drop the feature.

So if ebay management came to you and said, we are running a test, for the next few weeks on some days we will pay you your normal salary.  But on other days we will only be paying $1 for that day.  Oh and if we get any complaints on you on those $1 days, we will actually be taking money from you.  You will fully agree and be happy about this?

Message 356 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@tree*fern wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@tree*fern wrote:

It has been brought up at least once in the Weekly Chat, long before February.   Once should have been enough. 

September 24, 2014, including a link to a board thread about the issue: 

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Mobile-Team-Septe...

September 24, 2014, another post provided links to 5 threads on the Bidding & Buying board about this issue:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Mobile-Team-Septe...

So, only one Weekly Chat, not every week for a year? Is that the revised accusation?

The Mobile team was on that Chat, so they're aware of the issue. I didn't recall it. I don't know what else to tell you. I don't recall every post from every Chat, especially a chat that happened almost five months ago. I'll send a reminder to the Mobile team about this issue.

"Revised accusation"  ?  What are you talking about?   I hope you're not directing that remark to me.  I'm not the person who said it was in every weekly chat.

The original accusation was that the issue had "been brought up in every Weekly Chat for about a year now", but your response was that "It has been brought up at least once in the Weekly Chat, long before February." It's a moving target. I am responding to the accusation that it had been brought up every week for the past year. My response is that that accusation is 100% false. If someone can prove me wrong, please do.

The accusation that it was brought up in September appears to be true. I've never said that accusation wasn't true, though, so I'm not sure how that factors into this conversation.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

#1: It wasn't an "accusation"

#2: What I actually said was "I think it's been brought up in every Weekly Chat for about a year now". As you are continually admonishing community members- If you're going to quote me, please do it accurately. Thanks.

The real problem is that this- or any other- glitch could be "fixed" today and right back tomorrow. Look at eBay's history of reported shipping glitches on ecommercebytes:

http://www.google.com/custom?client=pub-7493632718180830&cof=FORID%3A1%3BGL%3A1%3BLBGC%3A336699%3BLC...

This is the problem- eBay never fixes this stuff- they just patch it. Zombie store listings, zombie decade- old shipping addresses, shipping glitches... there are eight pages of eBay shipping glitches- go through them and look at the repetition of the same handful of glitches recurring again and again over an incredible timespan. While we're at it, how about the mobile Auto 5 DSR recurring glitches?

I know it's tough- but you shouldn't ever take this stuff personally. When you do, it shows. Are you here as the leader of the eBay Community or just a sparring partner?

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 357 of 1,018
latest reply

I think it will be a very bad idea to list any auctions until this test is over, but then there is the issue of items being returned for not as described.  This is big trouble brewing here. 

Supposedly test is until Feb 24th.

Message 358 of 1,018
latest reply

Three pieces of feedback on this test:

Although I am seeing descriptions in listings I open this evening, earlier today, I was not.  I scrolled down to where I expected to find text and fell into white space.  I thought, "Oh no, another seller who's put the whole listing in a JPG, and i'm not waiting for it to load," and I closed the page.  When it happened again on another listing, I scrolled up and saw a button about clicking for the description.  I thought, "Oh no, the listing ended while I was browsing and they've changed from the "See original listing" link that's usually right below the item title to this thing," and I closed the page.  Result: I didn't view the items I was searching for on eBay, and instead shopped for them on two competing sites. 

Far be it from me to tell you your business, eBay, but optimizing pages for mobile devices is all well and good--for people who use those devices.  It may not work in reverse.  And according to a 1/5/15 article in the Washington Post, you don't want to alienate the good old  desktop crowd: "According to data released Monday by IBM, sales on mobile devices rose by 27 percent in November and December over the same period last year. And yet sales made through smartphones and tablets still only accounted for about 23 percent of online sales overall, with a whopping 77 percent of sales coming from desktops and laptops."

Finally, speaking on behalf of those with visual and fine-motor impairment, the less scanning/locating and button-clicking we have to do, the better.  Hiding key information in sales material is not helpful to anyone, but it can be especially frustrating for those who have to make an extra effort to gain access to it.

Message 359 of 1,018
latest reply

@sugarnspice777 wrote:

I think it will be a very bad idea to list any auctions until this test is over, but then there is the issue of items being returned for not as described.  This is big trouble brewing here. 

Supposedly test is until Feb 24th.

heartWhenever I feel afraid
I hold my head erect
And whistle a happy tune
So no one will suspect I'm afraidheart
- The King and I

Message 360 of 1,018
latest reply