cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

They just started doing for this to me this past weekend and I have had 1 sale since.

Message 901 of 1,018
latest reply

I really wish they'd finish this blasted 'test'.

Sure hope it's not going to be the new 'normal'.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 902 of 1,018
latest reply

I have just noticed that stupid button "See full item description".

I had an antique radio auction finish this week and I was thinking the final price was really quite low compared to similar sales for the same set.

Now I can see why - Ebay put one line of description - and hidden by that button was the rest of my description plus lots of nice HTML pictures!

Also I have an item listed now and have received questions asking if is a photocopy, even though it says in the "hidden" description that it is new-old-stock.

I sure hope that they get rid of that stupid feature !

Message 903 of 1,018
latest reply

Suggestion:

Add an image to the product with the text that says something like ... "eBay is altering the description of my listing. If you see a button that says 'Click to view entire description' -- eBay is experimenting with you and my listing and you cannot see my entire description.  This is an experement from eBay, and not part of my listing. Please leave feedback with eBay -- letting them know how you feel, and also know that I am trying provide accurate details in my listing as possible. I'm looking forward to the day when eBay will finally decide that hiding the description is a bad thing.

- - - - other ideas/suggestions?

Message 904 of 1,018
latest reply

@bomarc wrote:

Suggestion:

Add an image to the product with the text that says something like ... "eBay is altering the description of my listing. If you see a button that says 'Click to view entire description' -- eBay is experimenting with you and my listing and you cannot see my entire description.  This is an experement from eBay, and not part of my listing. Please leave feedback with eBay -- letting them know how you feel, and also know that I am trying provide accurate details in my listing as possible. I'm looking forward to the day when eBay will finally decide that hiding the description is a bad thing.

- - - - other ideas/suggestions?

I think everyone should wait until they announce what they are planning on doing......no sense in doing a ton of work only to have eBay do what they will and then having to do/undo all that effort. My best guess is they will be announcing something one way or the other in the very near Spring Seller Update.....should be out any day now......Boy, I just can't wait.....Smiley Frustrated

Message 905 of 1,018
latest reply

@dzines72s_emporium wrote:

I went in and deleted my eBay cookies and I now see the descrition like it should be. I am going to put that in the item condition section on my listings. It is actually another attempt by eBay to control the content and the best way to get rid of it is educate as many people as possible to delete all eBay cookies.

I know that you and every other seller that has suggested we somehow communicate to buyers that they should delete cookies or somehow communicate to them via "item description" or through written messages in pictures about clicking on "See item description," etc., etc. make these suggestions with the best of intentions.  But face it, some people don't even know what cookies are, let alone hassling with it.  And then imagine what they're going to think when they see all these other desperate messages from sellers in "item condition" or photos or whatever.  Frankly, I think buyers are going to think this site is nuts, and move on.   If this continues I don't see any possible scenario where buyers are going to have a pleasant buying experience on ebay:  1) they don't see "click to see item description, think seller is lazy and move on; 2) they do see it, but they get some annoying pop-up and hate the hassle and extra step; 3) they somehow see messages from sellers giving them directions on how to delete cookies or messages telling them ebay has changed things and you have to click on this or that and think this site is disfunctional and a hassle and move on.   So we're doomed.  I have been so down about this I haven't listed anything new in over a month now.  Keep checking back here to see if it's over and still it's not.

Message 906 of 1,018
latest reply

marthca938 -- basically I agree with you.  The notes would be there for two reasons:

1. To tell those that can see and determine what the problem is.

2. TO TELL EBAY what the problem is, and that as a seller, we don't appreciate it.

If enough people have a simular message on their posting.... eBay will take notice.

Message 907 of 1,018
latest reply

@bomarc wrote:

marthca938 -- basically I agree with you.  The notes would be there for two reasons:

2. TO TELL EBAY what the problem is, and that as a seller, we don't appreciate it.

If enough people have a simular message on their posting.... eBay will take notice.

I know and I do understand and I do think all these ideas are, as I said, expressed with the best of intentions and are, frankly, good ideas for the situation we find ourselves in.  I just think it makes for an unpleasant experience all around.  Selling should be fun and buying should be fun AND easy.  I am mad and sad that it all may have to come to this and I just don't have a good feeling about how it will be received by buyers. 

Message 908 of 1,018
latest reply

@bomarc wrote:

And, believe me, I have done a lot of posting on this thread and have expressed my outrage....this was back in February when we all pretty much thought the so-called "test" would be over mid to late February.  I decided for my own mental health LOL I needed to take a time out from this thread and check back from time to time in hopes it would be over.  But I understand it's not.  In fact, I see there have even been new threads started about this very subject just a few days ago, and I'm feeling disheartened and worn out about it.  I hope I will snap out of my doldrums about this and come back full steam, as I usually am, but when I take a step back and think about all of the hoops we may have to ask buyers to jump through, well...I've said enough.  

Message 909 of 1,018
latest reply

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

Ok, folks, I have a question.  What's going on here?  I have made several posts on this thread and I made some serious ones yesterday.  I was just clicking around on the community  forum pages and came across some posts from AUGUST OF 2014 complaining about "Click to View Entire Description" and these posts had same complaints and pics of listings showing same things we have been complainting about, hidden descriptions, etc.   How long HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON?  Why am I seeing this topic being brought up in August of last year?  Help me out here.

Message 910 of 1,018
latest reply

@marthca938 wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

Ok, folks, I have a question.  What's going on here?  I have made several posts on this thread and I made some serious ones yesterday.  I was just clicking around on the community  forum pages and came across some posts from AUGUST OF 2014 complaining about "Click to View Entire Description" and these posts had same complaints and pics of listings showing same things we have been complainting about, hidden descriptions, etc.   How long HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON?  Why am I seeing this topic being brought up in August of last year?  Help me out here.

This "beta test" was first noticed on Feb 11th the date of the start of this thread. I can't speak to the info you found that referred to August of 2014.......I don't recall that being a widespread issue. I think most of know that eBay will do as they will regardless of what we think.....The Spring sellers update should be out any day now and perhaps we will hear something then. Other then letting eBay know "what we think" through the links provided.....what else is there to do besides take your business elsewhere (both buyers and sellers)....that is what speaks the loudest.

Message 911 of 1,018
latest reply

Okay I jsut finished screaming at EBay - well nearly screaming.

THis beyond stupid  link for "See Full Description" is new and not everyone is infected with it.

FIrst thing they as was if I was on a mobile devise -- no 15 inch laptop

COme in from Google or whatever  - no, opened my My Ebay and was doing a search

Now I'm a buyer - only a buyer - the one you all want as I use Ebay since my area has nada for shopping.

THere is NO WAY TO OPT OUT  of this #@$%! experiement.

I told Ebay that only a ocmplete nitiwt makes it harder for customers to find items and get information about them --- and that their stupid "Item Specifics" box is - and always has been - as useless as  t**s on a bull

They have to Quit Wasting My TIme with #$@%! popups and extra clicks to open links

ANd since they won't let me out of the latest corkbrained experiment - I told them I was going over to Etsy and Ioffer to find what I was shopping  for today

Message 912 of 1,018
latest reply

I believe those threads were referring to the truncated no descriptions showing on sold items UNLESS you clicked the "see original listing" link.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 913 of 1,018
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
I believe those threads were referring to the truncated no descriptions showing on sold items UNLESS you clicked the "see original listing" link.

Totally off-topic here, but I HATE those too.  I'm often researching sold items, and want to see that original listing (which I thought I already clicked on), only to have to keep scrolling and clicking.... AND those other websites where you think you are clicking on a link to a news story or photo, only to be taken to another page where you have to jump through more hoops to see the content you were searching for.  What a pain!  This may be the way other websites do things, but it has certainly curtailed my browsing habits!

Message 914 of 1,018
latest reply

I have had this feature for about a month. They told me it is here to stay I had 4 defects in 6 months, got my Top Rated seller badge and then this starts. In the last 2 weeks I have received 4 low item description defects and 2 Neutral buyer feedback'sCapture.PNG and now I will lose my badge that I worked so hard on getting. People are not reading my descriptions anymore and I'm trying to figure out if it is worth my time to put all my work HTML into my listing anymore if no one is looking. we all need to tell Ebay were to put this feature I did several times.

Message 915 of 1,018
latest reply