cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Delete your eBay cookies in whatever browser you are using and it will fix the problem.

Message 826 of 1,018
latest reply

@dzines72s_emporium wrote:

Delete your eBay cookies in whatever browser you are using and it will fix the problem.

For me (any seller), the problem is not how I see listings.  The problem is how buyers see them.  There is no way for "me" to fix the problem.  If a buyer can't see my listing, there is no reasonable way for me to communicate to them how to delete their cookies - not that they should be expected to go through the trouble to do so.

If you are a buyer and you have educated yourself, good for you.  But please make sure ebay knows how you feel about their "test."

Message 827 of 1,018
latest reply

And your issue ... (my issue) is the key reason that just deleting cookies isn't going to fix the problem.
Message 828 of 1,018
latest reply

stupid-new-description-format.jpg
Likely demonstrating about how much they care to hear what anyone thinks abou tthis change... as usual. Of course, you can still use the one at the bottom of the page... and we all definitely should.

Not loading the full description on mobile/cell phones is understandable. That said, doing it for desktops, laptops, pads, etc. is just lazy & irresponsible. The number of issues with buyers not reading descriptions before purchasing has skyrocked thanks to the number of people now shopping on cellphones. This isn't going to improve buyer experience or satisfaction and it's going to do a lot of harm to both sales & seller ratings. In short, it's a ridiculous and stupid idea and anyone working for eBay who proposed that hiding the description of the items that you want people to purchase behind a button should've been fired on the spot. 

I've become convinced that none of the staff (or more likely consultants) who come up with ideas for site 'improvements' and certainly not any of the senior staff involved in approving them actually ever buy or sell on ebay.. or even think about buying or selling on the abay. It's one ridiculously bad idea and poorly designed system after another... many of which a good or responsible business who understood their business never would've even consideered. 

Message 829 of 1,018
latest reply

"...of the senior staff". At one comany, the senior staff came up with the WORST ideas. We (and I, as a consultant) did everything we could to try and NOT implement it.
Message 830 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff   Jeff, please relay this to the testing team.  I'm opted in to the test, but after clicking "Tell us what you think," the pop-up box doesn't allow any data entry.  I'm on Chrome, if that matters. 

Stop this insanity, please. When I click through to view a listing, I WANT TO IMMEDIATELY  SEE THE DESCRIPTION.  I do not want more clicks and barriers to reading the description and buying.  

When I want to view the item on a phone and deal with the phone's inadequacies, then I'll use the freakin' phone!  When I want to view the item on a computer monitor, it's because I want the benefits of viewing it on a large screen, so show me the description!

@domestic_platypus wrote:

stupid-new-description-format.jpg
Likely demonstrating about how much they care to hear what anyone thinks abou tthis change... as usual. Of course, you can still use the one at the bottom of the page... and we all definitely should.

Not loading the full description on mobile/cell phones is understandable. That said, doing it for desktops, laptops, pads, etc. is just lazy & irresponsible. The number of issues with buyers not reading descriptions before purchasing has skyrocked thanks to the number of people now shopping on cellphones. This isn't going to improve buyer experience or satisfaction and it's going to do a lot of harm to both sales & seller ratings. In short, it's a ridiculous and stupid idea and anyone working for eBay who proposed that hiding the description of the items that you want people to purchase behind a button should've been fired on the spot. 

I've become convinced that none of the staff (or more likely consultants) who come up with ideas for site 'improvements' and certainly not any of the senior staff involved in approving them actually ever buy or sell on ebay.. or even think about buying or selling on the abay. It's one ridiculously bad idea and poorly designed system after another... many of which a good or responsible business who understood their business never would've even consideered. 

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 831 of 1,018
latest reply

I've seen it!  I think its one of the dumbest things eBay has done to date!  What the heck!  What was wrong with it before?!  Were people complaining about getting too much information?  When I click into an auction, that's me saying, "I WANT TO SEE THE FULL DESCRIPTION!"  If it aint broke, don't fix it!  Stupid, stupid, STUPID!!!!!

Message 832 of 1,018
latest reply

Let's think here. It just had to be the ONE THING on ebay THAT WASN'T BROKEN YET. And now, have they gotten to about everything? 

"WE have you "protected"..."
Message 833 of 1,018
latest reply

Amazing thing happend when I woke up this morning:

Everything is back the way it was!

I never shut off my computer, and I am permanently logged in to eBay 24/7. Without having to do anything, all of a sudden when I click on any item in my watch list or items I have for sale, the description is back the way it was without any intervention on my part. No more "See Detailed Item Description".

Looks like eBay listened to all of us and stopped the insanity!

Message 834 of 1,018
latest reply

I also have confirmed (that as of 5:30am PST) they have stopped the insanity.

..... waiting for the other shoe to drop......

Message 835 of 1,018
latest reply

@best-now wrote:

I never shut off my computer, and I am permanently logged in to eBay 24/7. Without having to do anything, all of a sudden when I click on any item in my watch list or items I have for sale, the description is back the way it was without any intervention on my part. No more "See Detailed Item Description".

No, sorry to tell you, they haven't listened and they haven't stopped the test.  

I woke up this morning to find I was opted in again.  They've made a minor change to the interface, adding one sentence from the seller's description above the "See full description" link.  As if that makes it better.

And the pop-up for "Tell us what you think" doesn't allow me to type any response.  The "Tell us" link at the very bottom of the page still works, though.

Not only have they not stopped the test, eBay clearly hasn't been listening - or they're selectively hearing only what they want to hear (and eBay has a history of doing that).   Maybe it's yet another inept glitch, but disabling "Tell us what you think" seems to imply they don't want any feedback.

I just don't get why anyone at eBay thinks adding barriers to buyers reading descriptions is a good thing.  I've been holding back auctions to list because for those particular items, it's very important that buyers see the description.

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 836 of 1,018
latest reply

@tree*fern wrote:

@best-now wrote:

No, sorry to tell you, they haven't listened and they haven't stopped the test.  

I woke up this morning to find I was opted in again.  They've made a minor change to the interface, adding one sentence from the seller's description above the "See full description" link.  As if that makes it better.

And the pop-up for "Tell us what you think" doesn't allow me to type any response.  The "Tell us" link at the very bottom of the page still works, though.

Not only have they not stopped the test, eBay clearly hasn't been listening - or they're selectively hearing only what they want to hear (and eBay has a history of doing that).   Maybe it's yet another inept glitch, but disabling "Tell us what you think" seems to imply they don't want any feedback.

I just don't get why anyone at eBay thinks adding barriers to buyers reading descriptions is a good thing.  I've been holding back auctions to list because for those particular items, it's very important that buyers see the description.

I honestly think this "test" is here to stay as a permanent change they will most likely roll out and "announce" as such for the Spring Seller Update. The simple fact that they "tweaked" it to show the first sentence or so of the description speaks volumes.......why would they do that at a time that Jeff led us to believe the "test" would be at an approximate end? My suspicion is they would not.....here is a screen shot that another poster shared on another thread.......

original 7.png

Message 837 of 1,018
latest reply

I just noticed this new Description thing this morning and after I finished beating my head against  the wall, I came here to see if anyone had posted about it.  The "Tell us what you think" is not working for me.  Glad to know that I can use the icon at the bottom of the page. 

Here's how I noticed -- I was browsing some plates because I'm trying to decide on some china and I found a listing for the "accent" plates where the size is always tricky.  So I go down to the description to see what the diameter is and I thought to myself "the idiot seller didn't state the size of these plates".  Just before I hit the back button, I noticed that new icon for the Description where the seller had listed the size!  Ebay is INSANE! 

These days your Title must contain everything a buyer needs to know about your item or there could be huge misunderstandings.  I assume they're testing this to "improve" browsing on mobile devices.  Next thing you know, they'll be "improving" browsing for the iWatch / Smart Watch (aka the Two Way Wrist Radio) and more things will be hidden. 

Pam
Message 838 of 1,018
latest reply

@ola402 wrote:

These days your Title must contain everything a buyer needs to know about your item or there could be huge misunderstandings.

The problem is that's an impossible standard. A title can't possibly say "everything" a buyer needs to know for many types of items -- antiques, rare books, collectibles, etc., etc.

Message 839 of 1,018
latest reply

The good news is the 2 week test is over

The Bad news is it will be back.

I read an article that unfortunately I can't find now on one of the tech sites that said Microsoft is 

making it's next version of windows that is due out in 2015 to work the same on phones as it 

does on desktops. It didn't mention ebay at all, but explained why ebay would do something this 

stupid.. Of course they won't tell us anything as is ebay's standard policy.

I'm afraid this wasn't just a test, but ebay getting prepared to impliment this on a pernament basis to 

comply with Microsoft standards coming next year.

Message 840 of 1,018
latest reply