cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

@tree*fern wrote:

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m02/i16/s01

Doubtful that CS reps will recognize either Jeff T. or Ryan Moore, and their promises.  

I'm also doubtful that the test data includes keeping track of each specific, individual buyer ID that is opted forced into the test. And that would be the only way to "prove" that a SNAD or negative was caused by the test (unless I'm unaware of another way to do it).

There will be real no positive proof for removal of FB, This is the same type of problem many sellers have experienced with the "free shipping" debacle.

It will all depend on how lucky the seller is when calling.. (maybe they will get Lucy, she removes FB) 🙂

CSRs do not know Jeff, Griff or Ryan, they only depend on their script.

The work around I suggest is the only thing I can come up with, I hope this mess is ended sooner than later. 😞

It really appears to be a "rolling testing" from what I can tell, no one is specifically selected/opted in. Buyer or seller.

Tin hats should still sell well this week. 🙂 lol

Message 601 of 1,018
latest reply

@tree*fern wrote:

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m02/i16/s01

Doubtful that CS reps will recognize either Jeff T. or Ryan Moore, and their promises.  

I'm also doubtful that the test data includes keeping track of each specific, individual buyer ID that is opted forced into the test. And that would be the only way to "prove" that a SNAD or negative was caused by the test (unless I'm unaware of another way to do it).

Ok, that articule and Ryan Moore's reason for such a "test" is alarming at best. It would indeed suggest this is something they are looking at as a permanent change as he responded to the reason why being "  it was designed to simplify and improve the buying experience".    Just like the Spring and Fall updates and "defect system and all the policy changes " was created and implemented to do the same.........I think many of us know how well all that is working out, sellers leaving in droves by force or disgust and scores of buyers doing the same............Good Grief!!!  Can you say re-arranging the deck chairs??

Text from the ecommercebytres articule:

After reporting Wednesday that eBay was forcing some shoppers to click a button in order to read descriptions provided by the seller on listing pages, EcommerceBytes received confirmation from eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore that it was part of a temporary test. And the marketplace promised to protect sellers from any negative fallout.

Sellers are concerned that they will receive more "SNADs" (claims from buyers that their items were not as described) as a result of the new layout. Others are concerned that shoppers may be scared away from buying an item thinking the seller didn't provide a description.

"It seems eBay has decided our descriptions aren't important," wrote one seller. Another questioned eBay's motivation in making more room on the listing page: "Seems like a well calculated move, perhaps to have room for even more off site ads now."

We asked Moore how many visitors were involved in the test and for the reasoning behind making shoppers have to click a button to read the description. He said it was designed to simplify and improve the buying experience, and he referred us to a post written by eBay Director of Community Jeff Terrell on Thursday.

Terrell was responding to six pages of concerns from sellers displeased that buyers couldn't see the details they had so carefully provided in their listings: "We are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience," he wrote. "The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens."

His response didn't change some sellers' minds about the new "buyer experience." Terrell went back into the thread and answered questions from sellers. He promised eBay would remove any negative feedback left for a seller that eBay identifies as resulting from the test.

And, he said, "We'll test until we can get some statistically significant results. With our sampling rate, that should take less than two weeks.

Message 602 of 1,018
latest reply

I read somewhere else that this is just a test.  I see full descriptions so it is maybe being tested by location.  Many people were seeing a button to click for desriptions. I think it is to make the mobile users happy. They can't read full descriptions on their phone .. I don't think people should shop with their phone.  They should sit down and read descriptions and look at pictures.  Sellers knock them selves out trying to do it right - such as picture size and item specifics .. looks like all that is a waste of time. Soon it will be eBay Mobile and that's all ..

Message 603 of 1,018
latest reply

@nice.shoes wrote:

I read somewhere else that this is just a test.  I see full descriptions so it is maybe being tested by location.  Many people were seeing a button to click for desriptions. I think it is to make the mobile users happy. They can't read full descriptions on their phone .. I don't think people should shop with their phone.  They should sit down and read descriptions and look at pictures.  Sellers knock them selves out trying to do it right - such as picture size and item specifics .. looks like all that is a waste of time. Soon it will be eBay Mobile and that's all ..

The "mobile experience" is already bad in that many buyers never see the descriptions at all because they don't know that they have to jump through hoops to see them.  

Ruining the "desktop computer experience" to match it is an insanely bad idea, but typical of the "new improved ebay".  Smiley Mad

Message 604 of 1,018
latest reply

Ebay already has an app for phone users. Of course it's completely useless since they screwed it up with the last update. They need to fix their app!

Message 605 of 1,018
latest reply

@books...forthememories wrote:

@nice.shoes wrote:

The "mobile experience" is already bad in that many buyers never see the descriptions at all because they don't know that they have to jump through hoops to see them.  

Ruining the "desktop computer experience" to match it is an insanely bad idea, but typical of the "new improved ebay".  Smiley Mad

I never shop with my phone.  And according to ebay, only about 20% of buyers do so.  It's madness to penalize the other 80% who shop online.

Descriptions are vital information and should never be compromised in this fashion.

Message 606 of 1,018
latest reply

Well, as much as I don't like this new test, I've been working on some alternatives in case this becomes the norm.

Ist -  I used the Condition Description Feature, which is free, with the following sample statement -

IF DESCRIPTION OF ITEM IS HIDDEN: CLICK ON -"SEE FULL ITEM DESCRIPTION" ---Very light scuffs on box bottom. Very light crease on center of Manual cover. Light glue staining on Demo Disk label. Please keep in mind that this is a Used item and may have other minor issues that I missed.

2nd - I added additional photos

Comments and more suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Message 607 of 1,018
latest reply

Ryan Moore eBay commented: "... it was designed to simplify and improve the buying experience". 

I fail to see how finding out it's not what you wanted AFTER you get it is a better than knowing before you buy.

It doesn't simplify customer service or returns either. They will increase, not decrease.

Message 608 of 1,018
latest reply

@gopetersen wrote:

Ryan Moore eBay commented: "... it was designed to simplify and improve the buying experience". 

I fail to see how finding out it's not what you wanted AFTER you get it is a better than knowing before you buy.

It doesn't simplify customer service or returns either. They will increase, not decrease.

I long ago quit trying to understand ebay's illogical ways. The one thing I am sure about is whatever changes ebay implements always has to do with additional revenue for their bottom line............in of itself not a bad thing for a company to want to achieve. But eBay will do it to the extent of their own demise. Greed is a very powerful motivator.

Message 609 of 1,018
latest reply

Just one word is needed to describe this change.  Horrible.

Message 610 of 1,018
latest reply

I have been selling on eBay for 15 years.   I am a Top-Rated Silver Powerseller.    Without question, the idea of hiding Item Descriptions behind a button is the worst and most potentially devastating "innovation" I have ever seen implemented on eBay.  

Speaking as a seller, this unwelcome change puts my listings on an undeserved footing with sellers who provide no description at all.    But worse, it strips me of my ability to sell my items in the most effective way possible.

Good sellers know that an informative, eye-catching item description is vital to sales.   Scrolling down the page to see an item description is the virtual equivalent of strolling into a store showroom.   By impeding access to that showroom -- by forcing buyers to click an extra button and view the description in a pop-up box -- you send the message to potential buyers, "You're not really wanted here."   

Of course, that's presuming they click on the button at all.   Most probably won't.   It's easier to back out of a listing than it is to click an extra button.    Casual browsing on eBay -- and the sales which result from it -- will evaporate in the face of this change. 

A couple years ago eBay implemented "Best Match" out of a concern that buyers were having to work too hard to find the items they wanted.   It seems entirely counter-intuitive to now ask them to work even harder just to SEE descriptions of the items they want once they have found them.

My Item Descriptions sell my items.   Period.   My experience and expertise lead me to conclude that this new practice of hiding the Item Description behind a button will severely diminish my sales and quickly put me out of business.  

Looking at this as a longtime buyer, I want to continue to enjoy the ease of simply moving down the page to get all the information I want.   I don't want to click an extra button.   I don't want to wait even an extra second to view the item through a pop-up box.    I want the information and photos displayed in front of me as soon as I click on the listing in Search Results -- just as they always have been.   Anything that gets in the way of that -- even if it's just an extra click -- is an imposition on my time and patience.

I don't know who is making these changes at eBay, or what their qualifications are.    But I would propose that before any change is implemented, or even tested, it must be approved by a committee of eBay sellers who depend on eBay sales to pay their mortgage, feed their families, etc.    Only then would I feel reasonably assured that someone was looking out for my interests as a seller.   Because right now, in the face of this terrible, terrible change to how Item Descriptions are displayed, I feel very alone, unimportant, and extremely worried about my future.   It's an awful way to feel after 15 years of working so hard to succeed on this site.

Message 611 of 1,018
latest reply

I wondered about that. Lately when I search I don't get the 'listed in' categories down the LH side of the results. It's a royal PITB when searching and trying to narrow it down

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 612 of 1,018
latest reply

According to the policy you're not supposed to put anything BUT 'condition related" text in there.

I believe the same goes for 'seller's notes'

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 613 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@kates-of-mequon wrote:

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Yes, we are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience. The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens.

Well, Jeff, one of the problems your system has is that the Mobile app makes the buyer have to CHOOSE to read the description. And that is the basis of MANY problems given to sellers for SNAD disputes and returns. You ALREADY know that many of your buyers either don't know HOW to read or simply refuse to, and you are trying to empower even MORE to be illiterate. Bad choice, bad move, bad for the bottom line and whoever thought of the idea should be fired. So, when one finds such a box to click on for the whole description, eBay then asks "Tell us what you think". Have I gotten my feelings put into words simply enough to tell what I think? IT STINKS!!! Do MORE members need to tell you that you have made a LOUSY decision? And if you are trying to sell us a bill of goods that this IMPROVES the buying experience, you have obviously mistaken your sellers for a bunch of eggplants.

Message 614 of 1,018
latest reply

The next change eBay may make if  "Click to View" is implemented,  will be to completely move "No Returns"  to its alternative meaning of abandonment.

If "click to view" is implemented,  there will clearly be more dissatisfied buyers and more returns because buyers will not

be reading listing descriptions as often.

To compensate for greater buyer dissatisfaction,  I think ebay will be tempted to make "no returns" sales automatically refundable when a buyer brings a case, with the click of the buyer's button, without any return required. 

A Seller with a no returns policy will no longer have an option to require an item be returned before refunding.

Furthermore listings,  with a no returns policy,  will state something like this: "Buyer gets a refund & keeps the item If dissatisfied.  Seller does not accept returns. "

(buyer proving or vocalizing snad will not be required)

For example:

X) Keep the item.

X) Keep the item and be refunded because you are dissatisfied with your item.

(seller does not accept returns)

Buyers happy,  eBay happy,  far more sellers start listing with a returns policy.

(based on the current snad standard).

Bottom line: Ebay is not going to allow it to be easier for buyers to be dissatisfied without making it easier to get a refund.

Message 615 of 1,018
latest reply