cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clear up confusion about ending listings

I have read in this forum that cancelled order for out of stock items results in "defects" on your account. Whatever that means. Does that only apply to purchased items, or in general? I end listings all the time of items that didn't sell. Am I defected?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Clear up confusion about ending listings

The defect is when you sell an item and can't find it or it's broken or for whatever reason you can go through with the sale and cancel the order.

Telephone Line - Electric Light Orchestra

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The defect is when you sell an item and can't find it or it's broken or for whatever reason you can go through with the sale and cancel the order.

Telephone Line - Electric Light Orchestra
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Ok. I unlist items that don't sell. I didn't know if that was hurting me or not.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Yes, if you are canceling an order due to out of stock or can't ship your item you are getting a defect.

You should check your selling dashboard and service metrics to see your performance and how you compare to other sellers. 

You can lose selling privileges if you cancel too many orders.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Defect occur only on items that sold and you can't find. I end ALL of my  fixed price listings before they restart. I want to tweak them. I don't want them to start at the same time.  I used to have a message that I did that but ebay removed it.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Hay, You can end any active listing that has no bids on it, at any time for whatever reason you want. 

You will not get dinged.

Dings happen when you end a listing that has bids. 

You cancel a sale for reasons that are your fault.  (i.e., There is a problem with the address, the buyer cancels, the buyer does not pay)

Something is not delivered on time, as expected, or you do not follow through. 

Or at any other time that eBay sees as necessary.

Just my Two Cents...
Thank you for being here!
Penny
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@pennysdream wrote: ...

Dings happen when you end a listing that has bids. ...

If a seller ends an auction that has bids, and chooses to cancel the bids rather than selling to the high bidder, then there is a penalty fee equal to what the final value fee would have been if the item had been sold to the high bidder. This page has a chart which shows what happens when you cancel an active auction:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/cancelling-listing?id=4146

But ending an auction early doesn't give the seller a defect point on their account.  Defects for cancellation can only come from canceling transactions, NOT from ending a listing early.  Here's the policy page about the reasons why eBay would give you a defect point on your account:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy?id=4347

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Cool, thank you.  I think I have only ever canceled one listing with bids.  I broke it.  That was many moons ago. 

Just my Two Cents...
Thank you for being here!
Penny
Message 8 of 8
latest reply