cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cigarette smoke and or other odors

I recently decided to change my listings to No Returns. (I know that's no 100% possible)

Anyway, I recently had items given to me by family members that I know smoke and have pets.

Would adding a disclaimer in my listings protect me as far a "items not as described?"

Also does all this info have to be put in the mobile listing as well as the regular listing?  (I use Auctiva)

I know most buyers don't bother to read everything but if it's there shouldn't that be enough?

I've seen listings where people say "Smoke free/Pet free home" Then in the pictures there was a little white dog  eating out of his dish in the background. Lol  Then I've also seen listings where the seller states items are coming from a home where people smoke and they do have pets! Then I noticed how much negative feedback they had gotten stating the items reeked of smoke.

Seems like a seller can't win for trying!

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: Cigarette smoke and or other odors

::General response::

In the past, having that disclaimer in a listing would usually protect the seller.

Now?  All bets are off and unless something is worth the risk, I wouldn't mess with listing anything that had cigarette  odor.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 61 of 70
latest reply

This is a general reply.

Firstly, almost any Odor can be removed by being placed outside in the sun, or in fresh air.

Sometimes it takes a few days, but it usually works. I do this every year when I get winter clothes out of mothballs. Moths love cashmere!  

We sell from a smoke and pet free home.

In years past we had pets, many (many) years ago we smoked.

When I list something that was purchased new, I list as personal possesion, personal purchase. (Even if it's my kids toys from 25 years ago)

It's almost like splitting hairs. Did someone smoke around these things 23 years ago? 

What about the fireplace? The mothballs in the attic? The scent on the detergent? 

Personally, there are certain commercial scents that repulse me.

However, we have never had a complaint. As a buyer or seller. 

Although our smoking years are decades behind us, unless it is that deep reeking smell, we enjoy the scent. 

Dad smoked 5 packs a day. Mom smoked 2. (They are 87 & 88, quit 25/30 years ago)

Nothing feels as homey to me as the smell of coffee and cigarettes.

Or the inside of a purse that has held menthol cigarettes. (Mom!)

When people ask us if we mind them smoking(not at our house) we say, no, go ahead, we enjoy the smell. 

To each their own. However, really, if anyone is super sensitive to any sort of scent, they should only buy things they can pretest (smell) .

These buyers should be discouraged from buying online. It's almost impossible to meet the requirements of those sensitive customers. 

Just my opinion, of course.

Message 62 of 70
latest reply

General response.

have thought about this.

When we had our B&M store, if someone returned an item with an odor, we were free to  refuse a refund, on that basis. 

If a buyer can request a refund based on odor, why can a seller not refuse a refund on the same basis? 

Equal treatment to buyer and seller. Right?

Message 63 of 70
latest reply

If a buyer can request a refund based on odor, why can a seller not refuse a refund on the same basis? 

Most buyers have been around the block.

Message 64 of 70
latest reply

I've never read where a general disclaimer regarding smells or other deficiencies protected a seller.

What has protected seller is prominent disclosure of a deficiency.

Prominent means in the title or the condition field.

Any bad news buried down in the textual description is not useful in winning a SNAD case.

Message 65 of 70
latest reply

@sg51 wrote:

Most buyers have been around the block.

Yes, the phrase, not their first rodeo, comes to mind.

Message 66 of 70
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@debbyk1952 wrote:

I recently decided to change my listings to No Returns. (I know that's no 100% possible)

Anyway, I recently had items given to me by family members that I know smoke and have pets.

Would adding a disclaimer in my listings protect me as far a "items not as described?"

Also does all this info have to be put in the mobile listing as well as the regular listing?  (I use Auctiva)

I know most buyers don't bother to read everything but if it's there shouldn't that be enough?

I've seen listings where people say "Smoke free/Pet free home" Then in the pictures there was a little white dog  eating out of his dish in the background. Lol  Then I've also seen listings where the seller states items are coming from a home where people smoke and they do have pets! Then I noticed how much negative feedback they had gotten stating the items reeked of smoke.

Seems like a seller can't win for trying!

I put a disclaimer in at the bottom of most of my paper based listings. I don`t know where most of my items originate from and many items can`t be cleaned. I don`t have a good sense of smell so I think it`s fair to warn potential buyers if they are sensitive. I don`t know if it helps. If a problem arises I will deal with it then. Any items I can clean or wash, then I do so.

Many listings show a similar disclosure.  It's good to give a heads up like that.

Message 67 of 70
latest reply

You have decided to change your listings to No Returns?

Do you realize that eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers overrides your "No Returns" stance every time.

I (or anyone else) can buy any one of your listings, pay for it, receive it and decide it's not as described, open a NAD case, escalate it and you will be refunding me and possibly paying for the return shipping if you want it back.

Feel free to post that "No Returns" statement, but it's just a waste of space.  

Message 68 of 70
latest reply

Hopefully they do realize that, but there are many sellers, as evidenced by their threads, BUT I HAD NO RETURNS, that seem to think that  means the buyer is stuck with whatever it is.

Message 69 of 70
latest reply

One thing I can say, although I am smoke sensitive, in twenty years on Ebay, and a lot of purchases, I  have rarely had a problem with this.  

Message 70 of 70
latest reply