cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chargeback filed before Item even Delivered

Here’s a real Lu Lu of a chargeback. Buyer purchases item. We ship fast 1 day handling time. Item is right about to be delivered to recipient and we get a chargeback with buyer stating reason is they want to cancel the order. So we talk to the concierge and they say they had able time to cancel order so what’s up with this? I contact said buyer and ask also, what’s up with this? Zero feedback buyer. Absolutely disputed by me, and now funds on hold for probably several weeks. Cannot recall this item, It’s about to be delivered Priority Mail fast. Yeah I got seller protection. Just miffed over this stuff. They come out of the woodwork during the Holiday. Every season I get a least one Lu Lu.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Retro. Mercari does something like this. They ask the buyer to confirm and accept the product. It is a potentially very good deterrent to be used in a credit card chargeback case . There is documentation that the card holder confirmed receipt of item and acceptance of item.

Message 31 of 50
latest reply

The issue with the Mercari way of having buyer confirm receipt and satisfaction with item does slow the payouts to the seller but it would be much better for protection.

Message 32 of 50
latest reply

Update: Item is in package intercept with USPS. This being a rather high value item worth it to intercept and prevent these scamming customers from getting rewarded for their bad behavior an attempted theft using a credit card. Of course the payment institution wont rule on this for weeks and weeks so until this gets back to us the scammer can wait for eternity for their refund. This person was using multiple accounts to scam ebay  sellers  on here. A practice that these people use to steal merchandise. Happens all over online not just here.

Message 33 of 50
latest reply

I just had a charge back. Customer received the item, Left nice feedback and Several weeks later filed a charge back for item not as described with absolutely no communication and will not respond to messages. Disputed the charge back, the weeks rolled by and bam, funds taken from me as the Credit Card ruled in the buyers favor. Buyer gets his money back and gets to keep a top 3rd party certified coin. This is theft BTW.

In my opinion eBay's seller protection is false advertising. No where does it say you are not covered if you follow the guidelines and the banks rule against eBay. Could some one point me to where it states this?

Message 34 of 50
latest reply

It’s just a shame that people can jump to a credit card rather than first contact the merchant for resolution of any issue. Actually that IS the proper way to do it and most people go that route because they are NOT  criminals. Criminals, on the other hand use the chargeback and not contacting the merchant to OUTRIGHT STEAL.  It’s the state of the way credit card laws work allowing every customer as well as seasoned crooks to use them as they wish.

Message 35 of 50
latest reply

In my situation, this was a crook that was discovered by ebay with a warning posted to me that this crook’s account was cancelled here on ebay.  This person also contacted me on another account they had after they filed the chargeback to further “assure” me, yeah right, that they would pay for this item after it was delivered to them by cancelling the chargeback which was EXTREMELY dumb of them. I recalled the package promptly after this. This was a chargeback that happened even before the item was delivered to them. That’s why I called it a real LU LU.

Message 36 of 50
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Update: Item is in package intercept with USPS. 

That may cost you seller protections with eBay.

Message 37 of 50
latest reply

There needs to be a huge lobby created by merchants appealing to congress. Why this has not happened yet is beyond me when you think of all the merchants loosing millions of dollars because  of this every year. At the VERY LEAST, the laws should state that NO chargeback can be initiated without trying to resolve the issue first with the merchant. Then, however you still will get the crooks who send back the wrong item or nothing in a return. But with that here you can deduct 50 percent off the return money.  Then let em fight that.

Message 38 of 50
latest reply

No kidding. I know that. I do not want this customer to win a free item. I am beyond disgusted with this when people do this stuff and they are not going to get a free item from me regardless of what ebay does for me. And if they do not reimburse me I might even call and get that settled as this transaction should have never happened with this scamming customer.

Message 39 of 50
latest reply

Refuse the cancelled transaction. I don’t do returns for a reason. I’m not a conglomerate that can afford free returns or any returns period. Don’t let them control your business. I get good business with no returns accepted. 

Message 40 of 50
latest reply

Sorry to tell you this but with a no return policy you are at a greater risk for a chargeback. You are basically telling the customer that you will not under any circumstance consider a return of merchandise which is the number one reason why people even the honest people initiate a chargeback. My suggestion. Do not even think about doing that here or anywhere else online.

Message 41 of 50
latest reply

I have to add that recalling the package might help even more since I have a legitimate thief here and if they receive it they are going to start a return with whatever reason they select to send me back nothing.

Message 42 of 50
latest reply

But maybe they cannot because the account this item was purchased on it closed by Ebay.

Message 43 of 50
latest reply

This is exactly what seller protection is supposed to cover according to eBay's terms and conditions. I called eBay 2 hours after I received the Charge Back notice. I was told it was cut and dry eBay seller Protection would cover it because the buyer did not go through eBay!

Message 44 of 50
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I have to add that recalling the package might help even more since I have a legitimate thief here and if they receive it they are going to start a return with whatever reason they select to send me back nothing.

It's not possible for them to file a return request. Once a chargeback is filed the buyer has lost all ability to resolve through eBay.

Message 45 of 50
latest reply