cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chargeback filed before Item even Delivered

Here’s a real Lu Lu of a chargeback. Buyer purchases item. We ship fast 1 day handling time. Item is right about to be delivered to recipient and we get a chargeback with buyer stating reason is they want to cancel the order. So we talk to the concierge and they say they had able time to cancel order so what’s up with this? I contact said buyer and ask also, what’s up with this? Zero feedback buyer. Absolutely disputed by me, and now funds on hold for probably several weeks. Cannot recall this item, It’s about to be delivered Priority Mail fast. Yeah I got seller protection. Just miffed over this stuff. They come out of the woodwork during the Holiday. Every season I get a least one Lu Lu.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Just a note: "its called a " dispute " online with a banking resource...of a credit card or debit card.

I think we sellers call it a chargeback which I do not believe you will see that word in your banking online.

Message 16 of 50
latest reply

Which is the way it SHOULD be handled. 

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 17 of 50
latest reply

We know. It's called a chargeback here to denote a "not ebay" dispute.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 18 of 50
latest reply

I really wish to God Ebay could somehow halt these types of chargebacks with their system showing this item is in transit etc. It’s just aggravating that people just jump to these credit cards like a loaded gun thinking they can steal with them.  If this is what this buyer is trying to do. The other reason I suspected was that after they ordered it they decided they did not want it and then just jumped to the card instead of contacting us. Yeah blame the card companies. They stink.

Blame the Federal Government and the current laws that are on the books. The CC companies are just doing what they have to do based on the existing laws which are almost 50 years old and should have been revised long ago in the wake of the ecommerce explosion. 

Message 19 of 50
latest reply

Just a note: "its called a " dispute " online with a banking resource...of a credit card or debit card.

I think we sellers call it a chargeback which I do not believe you will see that word in your banking online.

It's a combination. It's a dispute of the charge the chargeback is the process by which it is handled and the charges are processed and decided. 

https://www.mastercard.us/content/dam/mccom/en-us/documents/rules/chargeback-guide.pdf 

Message 20 of 50
latest reply

I do not know anywhere online you can auto do an immediate chargeback after the item has been shipped and not been delivered yet, and after the time window to cancel the order. I purchase on Amazon etc anywhere and there is a HALT ON THIS KIND OF STUFF if item is in transit. If this does not get resolved properly we may post this on EBay’s facebook page for resolution. 

Message 21 of 50
latest reply

Can you imagine the magnitude of this type of situation for online sellers if numerous customers buy items then do a chargeback after the cancel transaction window and then hold up the merchants funds for the product they shipped if this is a rampant practice? 

Message 22 of 50
latest reply

SO HERE’S and update on this situation. The buyer messages me back and says. We thought we bought this from a fraudulent website and that is why they did the chargeback. Then say when it arrives and its ok then they are ok with it. So what’s happened here at least I think is that they bought it, thought to themselves that they were going to get ripped off. Mind you, I have a store full of this stuff with almost 4 thousand positive feedbacks, and a 15 plus year history of selling this stuff. So we go from there with this. 

Message 23 of 50
latest reply

Goes to show you how some people do not trust buying on ebay and me inparticular. LOL!

Message 24 of 50
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

I really wish to God Ebay could somehow halt these types of chargebacks with their system showing this item is in transit etc. It’s just aggravating that people just jump to these credit cards like a loaded gun thinking they can steal with them.  If this is what this buyer is trying to do. The other reason I suspected was that after they ordered it they decided they did not want it and then just jumped to the card instead of contacting us. Yeah blame the card companies. They stink.

Blame the Federal Government and the current laws that are on the books. The CC companies are just doing what they have to do based on the existing laws which are almost 50 years old and should have been revised long ago in the wake of the ecommerce explosion. 

This is spot on.  The fact is banks make money coming and going and the consumer is the "driver" of it with bank cards.

So, when CVC codes came to be, those three numbers on back of bankcards that was towards protection.  Made little sense to us and our merchant processor was Wells Fargo.  My Ex being politician and ever so dynamic and smart a person managed get a Rep and yackin' it up got told, "Ever have issues call me."  Cool beans.  She could charm the skin off a snake and then force em' to eat it if need be LOL. Anyways, we sorta over time got that ability up Wells Fargo's ladder somewhat.

So this CVC code stuff do nuthin' protect anyone if someone has stolen card in hand right?

So she comes up w/ a mechanism and has me program (code up!) a simulator to present to Wells, Visa/MC.  Basically speaking just an "Authorized handshake."  So, if Joe/sephine Q. Public order online that can go to their bank, ATM, online bank login and consumate the transaction.  This afford banks and businesses a MUCH greater level of protection against stolen card fraud, misplaced cards, Junior or Juniorette' using Dad's card when not supposed to on and on.  Additionally we put in several fields so the actual buyer and BANK know exactly what was to ship and TERMS.

So you login to your bank, go there, ATM whatall to authorize the charge and you agree to what product says it is, photos and TERMS click Agree and away we go.  Now there stands a REAL Record between sellers and consumers.  No, not a "Perfect" mechanism albeit could be expanded in some ways but far far far better than what existed and still does!

Well we present it and you'd think sellin' snow to Eskimo's.  Reason, well, likely again they make money coming and going no matter the circumstances.  Such a mechanism quite bold and preventative and that means, not make as much money and going.

I mean now that we really think about it, this might be something Adyen and eBay perhaps could do.  Buyer and seller agree to some terms of sale that require that "Legal handshake" per se.  Contract.  Again not perfect by any means but can be further refined.

For example, when I was partner in a game store that went under with pre-owned game systems purchased we'd a warranty of 30 days.  Every system had these "Sticky seals" on them, cant tamper with em without causing a noticeable disaster.  Buyers signed off on the systems piece of paper, put a unique printed serial number inside em' etc.  Whilst didn't happen often, perhaps three or four times that was used to defend against chargeback successfully.

This TOO could be deployed by eBay in a way.  For example, sellers who care want more protection against iNAD would purchase "Stickers" that affix to product identifying it.  Along with the above mechanism of agreeable terms the two prevent a whole lot of iNAD in a refined system.  Refining it surely need be discussed as devils in the details.

Once again I would also point towards a more refined ratings/transactional history system for both sellers and buyers.  

Message 25 of 50
latest reply

Update number 2: Today buyers original account closed by ebay. Fraudulent buyer. This fraudulent buyer messaged me back on another account because the first one got closed. Scammer trying to get free merch. Seller protection should kick in on this one if card makes wrong decision.

Message 26 of 50
latest reply

See update on this post. Just a scammer trying to get free merchandise with a credit card. Hard to stop them from doing this with current credit card laws.

Message 27 of 50
latest reply

The Credit Card Networks rules about payment disputes are longer and more complex than most people know because few read the documentation for merchants and banks.

There is wide variation in how banks decide disputes, in part because there is little enforcement of the rules.

Some banks will always rule for the card holder, their customer. Others will attempt to be fair, and even force the cardholder to return merchandise before winning the dispute.

Some banks will rule for the merchant but not return the payment to him for months.

Few businesses which have enough chargebacks to see the variations stay in business.

I have had enough conversations with the processors who handle merchant accounts to hear some far greater lu lus.

This story has a finite but real chance of being an overly protective buyer who did not recognize a sale. Not probable but possible.

Many banks will open a chargeback dispute, when a cardholder requests more information on a transaction, others simple make a retrieval request.

Merchants are the low man on the totem pole. Forced to underwrite fraud, unpaid tax collectors and general peons.

Message 28 of 50
latest reply

Exactly!

Not sure the O.P. is being open & honest. 

Right now, they have no active listings and feedback is not even visible from my end. Let alone, they answer their own post as 'best answer'.

It would seem the buyer would have to open a case and the seller can easily respond with sale date, ship date, tracking number, and provide tracking details / time line. 

A buyer with zero feedback! I would easily review profile, Google map, and entertain shipping with signature required. 

Message 29 of 50
latest reply

I do not post on here with y selling ID to avoid unwanted people on my selling account and buying merch. Yes I am legit and yes this is happening. I just recalled our package using USPS website and hopefully they can intercept and get this EXPENSIVE item back to us.

Message 30 of 50
latest reply