cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Refund a Buyer form?

The changes to the "Refund a buyer" form/page do not make any sense. I can no longer issue a simple refund for shipping costs (I do a lot of combined shipping). Now there is no clear way to see what the purchase amount is and what is shipping within the form. I also have no idea what the buyer sees on their end now.
The calculations appear to be split up between the number of items in the order (maybe?), which are also inaccurate. Shipping is based on weight, not the number of items sent.
This also appears to confuse CS and the people who review claim submissions because they cannot tell what is purchase price and what is shipping.

This is really very frustrating. I don't know if this is another money grab to skew money calculations in their favor, but the new form just doesn't make any sense. It was simple and intuitive before and now it seems to be inefficient. I checked to see if there was a "Submit Feedback" link on the form and there isn't. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I'm with you.  IDK why they made the changes they did, but we do have to deal with it.  IMHO the old form was fantastic.

You can put whatever amount you want to refund in the available box or boxes [if multiple items] for whatever amount you want to refund your buyer for whatever reason.  Then enter that, the next page will ask you if it is a shipping discount or what the reason the refund is for.

Not everything is a "money grab" and I'm not sure how that accusation even plays for this subject.  Just put in the amount you want to refund, in whatever box you want to or split it up between boxes if there are multiple items.  Then go to the next page and designate what the refund is for.  The process it.

It is a different form but it is not a form that is trying to trick you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

It's SO bad....  I do refunds for people who don't know how to use the shopping cart for multiple items. (C'mon people it's 2024 fercryinoutloud...)

Even if you choose 'Shipping Discount' as your Refund Reason, it splits the refund across all items, and even for some reason lists shipping multiple times too.  I mean, the refund and all that come out as a wash, but since the customer also sees this illogical mess when they receive the refund... WHY WHY WHY eBay?!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

While it may not be your preferred way or mine, it still works.  It doesn't matter really that it splits across items, the end result is the same.

And I do like you and issue refunds on shipping over payments all the time.

This way is different, but the end result is the same.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

It was easy before but now even me with selling stamps... buyers are upset why they can't send a total to me so I can reduce shipping total. Wonder how many International Buyers I have lost.

And it's even worse where I can't send just a refund of shipping using my iPhone. I have to do refunds only on my computer.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I get that it works, but it's just SO illogically designed.    Think of the other end too:  Sure WE 'get it', but not all customers are as savvy as we are, so I've had multiple complaints 'why did you send me 18 partial refunds for 10 cents instead of ONE refund of $1.80?'

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

It was easy before but now even me with selling stamps... buyers are upset why they can't send a total to me so I can reduce shipping total. Wonder how many International Buyers I have lost.

And it's even worse where I can't send just a refund of shipping using my iPhone. I have to do refunds only on my computer.

Requesting an invoice is a completely different function than sending a refund.  So your first issue is a completely separate issue.

As to the refunds.  If you have a transaction with someone, you can send a partial refund for shipping, it just doesn't present on your screen the way it use to.   You can put whatever amount you want to refund in the available box or boxes [if multiple items] for whatever amount you want to refund your buyer for whatever reason.  Then enter that, the next page will ask you if it is a shipping discount or what the reason the refund is for.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I don't disagree.  But we have no choice here right now, it is what we have to use to accomplish the goal.  What is left to do is complain to Ebay that we don't like the changes.

With that said, I don't think how you are portraying partial refunds is actually how they work.  You'd need to show me where you are seeing that your buyer got 18 refunds for 10 cents each.  I've done partial refunds across a few transactions and I don't remember that being an issue at all.  The buyer got the one refund for the total amount.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

It's junk and very time consuming.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply