cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Categories? POOF

What fresh hell is this mess.  the categories are gone, everything is broad, no more specifics.  i sell most in collectibles/holiday seasonal/christmas/vintage pre 1946/then a category.  this is all gone today and so will the buyers,  collectors will not sit there and search or read 20,000 listings.  everyone reads newly listed.  period.  WE ARE DOOMED

Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: Categories? POOF

Holy cow the new search results are borked! Not only did the categories get "simplified", it seems the search results are way too liberal with the results.

Just a few days ago, searching for "vintage christmas lights" returned only a few thousand results, and 99% were relevant. Now it's over 30K results, and most of it does not contain any of the search term in the title, I assume their is a similar word somewhere in the description? And way too much garbage from China showing up too.

Message 61 of 74
latest reply

@coffeebean832 - Sorry if I misunderstood your message.I will pass along the information to the correct team to get it corrected.  

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 62 of 74
latest reply

"eBay is working on fixing the problems"

Fixing the Hindenburg has a better chance of succeeding

Message 63 of 74
latest reply

"flexible item specifics" is an oxymoron.

Message 64 of 74
latest reply

Psychological War , you mean like sending eBay  dissidents cockroaches and hundreds of pizzas?

Feds: eBay staff sent spiders, roaches to harass couple - ABC News (go.com)

Message 65 of 74
latest reply

Any C7 or C9 Christmas light strings that have braided cords (as opposed to zipline cords, like modern C7 and C9 Christmas light strings have) – this means any C7 or C9 Christmas light string prior to 1970! – really should be in their own "String Lights" category – PERIOD – on eBay!!!

Message 66 of 74
latest reply

What is like I said in my previous comment here, the era categories are absolutely ESSENTIAL for me to find vintage Christmas lights from the correct era – I stay away from anything made after 1997 (or so), as they are virtually all made cheaply in China! I'm often looking for vintage Christmas light strings with braided cords on eBay, even though the era categories weren't the best – I personally would have the following era categories: "Antique: Before 1946" [this is the era of cloth braided cord Christmas light strings with bakelite light sockets and bakelite male and female electrical plugs], "Vintage: 1946 to 1969" [this is the era of plastic braided cord Christmas light strings with bakelite light sockets and (usually, but not always) bakelite male and female electrical plugs], "Retro/Modern Vintage: 1970 to 1997" (or "Retro/Modern Vintage: 1970 to 1999") [this is the early zipline plastic cord era of Christmas light strings with (usually, but not always) plastic light sockets and (always) plastic male and female electrical plugs, when they were mostly made in North America/Europe/Australia/New Zealand as opposed to East Asia/Southeast Asia – notably China], and "Modern/Contemporary: 1998 to Now" (or Modern/Contemporary: 2000 to Now") [this the later zipline plastic cord era of Christmas light strings with plastic light sockets and plastic male and female plugs, where virtually everything is made very cheaply in China or – what is far, far, FAR less frequently – The Philippines]. Now, don't you get me emotionally started on the era categories (or the lack thereof) of extension cords, electrical timers, electrical power bars/outlet strips, electrical wall taps/wall blocks, and surge protectors on eBay...

Message 67 of 74
latest reply

@stevenvillman 

We do really need better sub-set categories for Holiday Collectibles.  Soon.  Like now.

Throwing everything (all Holidays/All seasons) together is a mess. 

I have pretty much stopped shopping on e-Bay for vintage Christmas.  Even with truly defined and re-defined searches, it is impossible to wade thru everything that does not apply.  Never mind that our own listings, are evidently invisible as nothing is selling. 

The word "mess" is an understatement, for sure. 

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 68 of 74
latest reply

We don't have to do this, but it's helpful advice.

Message 69 of 74
latest reply

Exactly right
Thanks for answering.

Message 70 of 74
latest reply

I welcome your decision and wish you well. And I adore your tidy home... wish I had one. Good luck.

Message 71 of 74
latest reply

I really, really hope that this Holiday and Seasonal sub-category mess in the Collectibles category gets sorted out by October! Meanwhile, I'm taking a 3-month hiatus from buying vintage Christmas on eBay.

Message 72 of 74
latest reply

Sorry wrong, as some of the categories have been removed, it is lot more difficult to find art glass and to sell.

If selling or purchasing glass items most of the staircase have been removed..... 

Message 73 of 74
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 74 of 74
latest reply