cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelled order after buyer said they didn't want item. Do I get a defect?

Clicked on the button to cancel order with the reason, buyer requested to cancel. Now I get a message from Ebay saying, 

Hi atikovi,

We let the buyer know that you want to cancel this order

What do they mean I want to cancel. I clicked on the reason being, BUYER requested to cancel. Won't my request be recorded as a defect? Won't I get my sale fee refunded?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

As long as you choose the reason for the cancellation to be The buyer requested the cancellation or there was a problem with the buyer address, either of those reasons will NOT result in a defect on your selling account.

Yes, Ebay notifies the buyer that you started the process.  And yes it is worded properly.  YOU did request the cancellation of the transaction because your buyer asked you to do that and you agreed it would be fine.  As the seller you can tell the buyer no and refuse to do the cancellation.  I can't say I'd recommend that, but it is your right as the seller.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

As long as the buyer requested to cancel the order, you wont get a defect.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I have the same problem buyer ask me to cancel order because she don't have money yet, and I ask her to cancel so she can not put defect my seller reputation, but she ask me back, now I'm confuse what to do. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I'm not so sure. Buyer request cancle still gave me a defect twice in a few years and I got the defect and eBay wouldn't or couldn't remove them. So now when buyer requests me to cancle I won't. I explain to buyer that's it's a glitch and request/explain that they have to cancle for this reason. Never Cancle Anything, ( I can't afford defects ).......

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@natherichfull-99 wrote:

I have the same problem buyer ask me to cancel order because she don't have money yet, and I ask her to cancel so she can not put defect my seller reputation, but she ask me back, now I'm confuse what to do. 

As the seller if you accept your buyer's request for a cancellation.

You need to provide the reason as being buyer requested, your buyer cannot cancel the purchase, You can

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

You've been selling on eBay for 18 years, and you've been participating in the community discussion boards for 12 years. I'm surprised you haven't run across this situation in all that time--either in your own business or reading someone else's post.

You must feel very lucky to have this be your first buyer-requested cancellation in 18 years!

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@natherichfull-99 wrote:

As long as the buyer wants to cancel, you can cancel and use buyer requested.

Be sure to select buyer requested and it won't effect your account.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@joesoucie22012 wrote:

I'm not so sure. Buyer request cancle still gave me a defect twice in a few years and I got the defect and eBay wouldn't or couldn't remove them. So now when buyer requests me to cancle I won't. I explain to buyer that's it's a glitch and request/explain that they have to cancle for this reason. Never Cancle Anything, ( I can't afford defects ).......

If buyer requested to cancel and that was the reason you used to cancel, you shouldn't get a defect.

I think now when seller selects buyer requested, Ebay sends buyer a message asking if they wanted to cancel and they can choose yes or no.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@natherichfull-99 wrote:

Buyers can NOT cancel a transaction.  Only sellers can.  So you are the one that needs to process the cancellation for your buyer if you choose to honor their request.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

As long as you choose the reason for the cancellation to be The buyer requested the cancellation or there was a problem with the buyer address, either of those reasons will NOT result in a defect on your selling account.

Yes, Ebay notifies the buyer that you started the process.  And yes it is worded properly.  YOU did request the cancellation of the transaction because your buyer asked you to do that and you agreed it would be fine.  As the seller you can tell the buyer no and refuse to do the cancellation.  I can't say I'd recommend that, but it is your right as the seller.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@joesoucie22012 wrote:

@joesoucie22012 

Things on Ebay change all the time.  If you are going to depend on things that happened to you years ago on Ebay as what guides you today, you are certainly going to cause yourself issues that were avoidable.    If you start refusing to cancel transactions when a buyer requests it and you haven't shipped the item yet, you open yourself up to returns and harmful FB.  But your choice to make of course.  

A better understanding of the process and the dos and don'ts would serve you better and help you keep your selling account healthy.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

These were not years ago. One was in the last year. Every one I have cancled at buyers request has giving me a defect. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@joesoucie22012 wrote:

These were not years ago. One was in the last year. Every one I have cancled at buyers request has giving me a defect. 

What defect were you given?

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Great, that is all I needed to know. thanks

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

You've been selling on eBay for 18 years, and you've been participating in the community discussion boards for 12 years. I'm surprised you haven't run across this situation in all that time--either in your own business or reading someone else's post.

You must feel very lucky to have this be your first buyer-requested cancellation in 18 years!

Thanks for your cheery input. This may happen once or twice a year so I can't remember every aspect of each situation nor can I keep up on Ebay policy that seems to change every few months. I'll probably be back here asking a similar question in 6 months. Hope it doesn't disturb you.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply