cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see watchers?

Anonymous
Not applicable

For Some reason  I can no longer see watchers on items on ebay Not even mine unless I am on my ebay page. So Buyers can no longer see how many People are watching my buy nows? Why is that? I tried 3 different browsers  None show them,this started today! But you can sure see the Delivery in 3 days In my zip, Which is a lie I cant even get packages from my house to the town over In 3 days any more. Priorty mail or First class. This should have been removed..

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Can't see watchers?

This must be a new glitch as there is another thread (or two) that showed up on this Board today.  As someone once put it, Glitch du Jour.

You can post this on the Tech Issues Board as I understand there are Ebay employees that monitor that Board.

Message 2 of 68
latest reply

Same problem here. I cannot see watchers on my own listings or other's listings. 

Message 3 of 68
latest reply

Not seeing how this is even an issue as it has already been discussed on here numerous times that it really does not mean anything.

Also to add:  I had some watchers on the other E.  Did not realize that those sellers can see who is watching their auctions because one contacted me over and over again.

I pulled all of them after that.

Message 4 of 68
latest reply

Happening to me and I don't like it either.  It is just inconvenient in that there are times I am looking at one of my listings and I like to know the # of watchers without having to go into my 'active listing' summary. 

Message 5 of 68
latest reply

i have been informed on an earlier thread that ebay is no longer displaying watchers on listings. sad,... i personally think that it helps with sales by creating a feeling of competition. best of luck everyone!

Message 6 of 68
latest reply

Yes, per Trinton or Brian this is a deliberate (imho stupid) change.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 7 of 68
latest reply

Hello, here is all I know about this so far
(copied from a post I made on another comment thread today)

This started being implemented on Tuesday 23rd of January 2018

I have recently been informed by an ebay rep that the removal of watchers is in fact a trial (or had been relabeled "a trial" due to the overwhelming negitive responce) (this explains why unlike other changes, this change has not yet had 100% confirmation of being permanent)

it is being left this way for research purposes in order to gauge the reaction from sellers, buyers, and its effect on sales.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but I expect they will review the effect this had before deciding whether or not to show the watchers again.

There is no known deadline to this trial, I wish I could find out more, If they have already decided never to show watchers again they should make a formal announcement so that I can make plans to sell elsewhere. Because I am now making around $10 in a 10 day time frame instead of the $1700 I made in the 10 days before the watchers were removed.

I hope they do bring the watchers back because it is essential for the many items that are priced depending upon their percieved popularity at any given time, which is something buyers of antiques and used luxury goods like to have data for , the watchers provide that data. it is similar for rare and high value collectables as well as used designer brands. (I have given all my most powerful arguments such as this to ebay which have all been written down and been passed on for review) so I will have wait in hope.

The best advice I can give to other sellers who are suffering from this is to call ebay with details of how it is affecting them and ask for their complaint to be passed on to the relevant department.

( don't be put off because others have already said the same thing, its about numbers rather than the originality of your statement)

I am pleased to report that buyers are also complaining about this, which is really good of them considering they have a lot less to lose financially from this problem ("trial")

The results are in for me: the money made though my ebay accounts is less than 5% of what it was with watchers over the same time frame (barely enough to cover listing fees), if they don't put watchers back on the item view page my ebay accounts are basically finished!

for anyone reading also google the following " ecommercebytes 1517174414 " and read the article "ebay makes unnanounced changes to item page" useful information there and some good readers comments from other concerned sellers.

(flame icon) 3 watched in last 24 hours: Ebay are still showing this allert on the view item page (Directly below the title in BOLD, RED, and with a HOT FLAME!) 
MAJOR CONTRADICTION! they either want buyers to know about watchers or they don't?!

Plus lots of my items have 10 percent of the sale price donated to charity. These charities are now suffering an unnecessary loss in donations since this problem is killing my sales! (and likely 1000's of other charity sales who rely on the watch number displayed to boost sales, resulting in potentially hundreds of thousands of pounds not going to good causes)

It is a major issue because displaying the number of watchers should increase the frequency of sales as well as the average price because it shows when an item is popular, (popularity, competition, and a sense of urgency should trigger a person to buy an item more quickly)

Buyers so used to seeing the number of watchers on items will assume an item with no watchers is priced too high or is simply no good. This will be the case for all sorts of items until ebay start having the number of watchers displayed in the listings again!

I can't sell anything especially my higher price items which rely on the "social proof" confidence formally provided by the watch number being displayed,

I have been slowly bulding my experience on ebay for 10 years, I had just recently got to the stage where I was selling about $2500 a month and was excited about the future. Since the watchers are no longer being displayed I have made just $10 after fees!

I hope ebay can make a clearly worded formal statement as to whether or not they have made the final decision on this

Thanks to everyone here who has called in to ebay about this

Message 8 of 68
latest reply

It's important in that it helps me monitor what people are looking at and what they're not interested in a multi-sku listing.  I have different sizes / colors  available on single listings - I used to be able to look, see what was popular within that listing and use that information to buy more inventory.  Conversely, it helped me see what I needed to avoid (sizes, colors, etc). 

Obviously you can gather some of this information from what you sell, but seeing the watchers specific to each item available was a pretty valuable sorce of information and a good indicator of what will be the most popular.

Message 9 of 68
latest reply

I can recall when they first started showing watchers on the listings and then sellers were yelling they hated it.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 10 of 68
latest reply

i have been informed on an earlier thread that ebay is no longer displaying watchers on listings. sad,... i personally think that it helps with sales by creating a feeling of competition. best of luck everyone! jbbowers12012 --------- unquote ------------------------

I certainly hope that isn't true,, but if it is I hope they change it back .  Showing how many potential  buyers are interested  in an item is like free advertising . It sends out a message that other people like it too and if they buy it they may be complimented . That's how I see it anyway . Tulips 

Message 11 of 68
latest reply

i have been informed on an earlier thread that ebay is no longer displaying watchers on listings. sad,... i personally think that it helps with sales by creating a feeling of competition. best of luck everyone! lux10k - unquote ----------------------------------

That's very helpful information , thank you . I don't care for this new idea of hiding the watchers either  . So I will be notifying e bay  of my opinion on it  . Just a reminder too ,  there's a place at the top of the summary page that says '' Tell us what you think '' ? e bay asking for user tips . That might be a good place to start  . Tulips 

Message 12 of 68
latest reply

I would just love to sit in on the meeting of this brain trust that came up with this idea. Clearly no one who works there has any concept of basic marketing orpsychology psychology! 

Watchers = interest

Interest = sales

Not fricken rocket science! Woman Wink

……………………………………………………………
Message 13 of 68
latest reply

When I am shopping, I look up the item on ebay to check it's popularity.  Pretty difficult to do that when I can't see how many people are watching the item.  Just checking peoples' pricing means nothing if I can't guage the interest in that product at a certain price range.

Message 14 of 68
latest reply

I think it's a really - really - bad idea to remove the number of watchers.

Can't get the logic.

Thanks everyone for sharing & helping 🙂
Message 15 of 68
latest reply