cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't enter ISBN when creating new listing

I was out of town and wasn't able to create any new listings for about a month. Have dozens of new books to list yet item specifics will not let me enter an ISBN. I've tried w/ my templates, create new listing, sell, and sell similar (ISBN is on other seller's listing but won't import).

I have ebay concierge so I chatted w/ebay yesterday. Rep said there were no reports of this glitch but she had same problem when she tried creating a listing! She took my latest item # and ebay fixed that one listing but it's still not working on any new listing. I am putting ISBN in title for now, but I want this fixed; it's particularly helpful with new books as you enter the ISBN and you are done.

Before I call ebay again, is anyone else having this problem? The word "ISBN" appears under "Additional" item specifics (not under "Required" where it used to be), but the word is just hanging there, 1-5 times, with no options to fill or click on it. Thanks in advance for any input. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The listings you're having trouble with are in the "Antiquarian and Collectible" books subcategory. In this category ISBN is not required.

I'm not having any trouble adding ISBN in that category.

Are you using the new listing tool @tefka or the old tool or the app?

What happens if you revise a listing that's already published - can you add ISBN and save the changes?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for your reply @wastingtime101  I'm pretty sure I'm using the new listing tool, I don't even know how to access the old one. See photo attached. It is affecting Books & Magazines as well as Antiquarian. See photo attached. Note the list of ISBN with no option to add. I have also tried listing and then revising, no change, can't add ISBN. Image 6-5-22 at 1.18 PM.jpg

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for sharing the screenshot @tefka and yes, that is a problem with the new listsing form.

I was able to find another report of this issue, posted here by @shipscript. That would be a good discussion thread for you to jump on with any issues tied to the new listing form.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thanks @wastingtime101  ; I searched for a similar complaint but didn't find it, so thank you. Will call ebay now and report the ongoing problem and post an update here and to @shipscript . 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@wastingtime101  @shipscript . Just spoke to ebay rep. They recommend that anyone having this problem call in and report the issue to ebay. They are not aware of any "sitewide" issues with entering ISBN numbers, and they need more sellers to report the issue before they address what is obviously a glitch affecting multiple sellers.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

You'll find at least 2 reports of this on the ecommerce site.  I can't list for at least 3 days. I even tried the "sell one like this" and that doesn't work. I don't want to discuss this, I need to get my items listed.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I recently listed a group of Frank Herbert's books but I used the old format.  I tried the new and hated it and went back to the old.  One thing that I find interesting is the  five different ISBN spots that are showing.  I always ship in lot of books and inputting  only one ISBN# does a number to the value of the items in the listing.   I'm wondering if they were trying to address this problem, but are failing and not testing it correctly.

Thanks for the screen shot and the question.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@tefka 

Thank you for the screenshots of the new Unified Listing form and the bogus ISBN fields.

As you will notice, clicking the form will increase or decrease the number of times that  "ISBN" is repeated on the page, but, as we can all see, there is no slot to enter a number.

For others who encounter this problem, I also recommend that you click the triple-dot icon at the top of the new Unified listing form to send your feedback comments. When new pages are released, the managers of those pages pay attention to the comments that are sent, particularly if they point to bugs.

I want to point out how this ISBN field is used, and why I find it strange that it appears within the item specifics (and why it probably does not function there).

On the older Business lister, the ISBN/UPC slot is at the top of the page, because it links to eBay's catalog. Entering a number there will pull in a product from the catalog. If you don't provide a number in that slot, the catalog's prefilled data will be bypassed and you must enter your own product details.

That will bring you down to the Item Specifics. You could create your own custom item specific called ISBN, and fill in the number, but you won't get prefilled data. You will need to enter the appropriate data using the item specifics.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Hey everyone! Thanks everyone for reporting the issue.  The product & technology team has fixed the ISBN issue on the new listing tool - please try to list your item again. 

Devon,
eBay
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I'm having this issue, repeatedly.  I enter the ISBN straight from the title page, and Ebay insists I haven't entered it at all. I try with and without dashes. VERY annoying. help!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply