cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a buyer request a cancelation and then leave negative feedback?

Bottom LIne: Buyer has requested to cancel the sale, if he approves the cancellation request, can he still leave negative feedback?  -  If the answer isn't simple, please read further: I listed an item as having six 90% silver coins.  The photos showed five 90% and one 40% silver coin. My error, and the buyer pointed this out. This was a few hours before the listing ended.   I realize I should have just ended the listing, but the buyer seemed sincere and was kind enough to point out the error. So I added to the description that I would send the coins shown in the photo if someone bid and won, and would send six 90% silvers if a buyer used Buy It Now. I  also sent that as a personal message to the buyer.  Same person bid on them and won at the opening price,  but wants the six 90% silver coins.  I had previously sold all of my other Kennedy 90% Silver half dollars.  So as I intended, I went the extra mile to obtain another 90% Kennedy half from a friend, told the buyer this, now he says he "doesn't want them under these circumstances" ????  He wants me to cancel the sale.  I feel like I really made the extra effort here, as I always do. I have 100% positive feedback, don't want unhappy customers. However, it seems Abe was right, "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the perople all of the time".  Buyer has requested to cancel the sale, if he approves the cancellation request, can he still leave negative feedback?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Can a buyer request a cancelation and then leave negative feedback?

yes he can still leave negative feedback. Cancelling does not block feedback from being left. If you agree to his request to cancel, I don't see why he would leave negative feedback. refusing to cancel would be far more dangerous.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I suspect some people just cant stop themselves from being negative. Since he has expressed his disappointment and frustration with ebay in general, than leads me to believe he would indeed give me my first negative.  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

eBay's written policy says:

If your buyer cancels a purchase, they can't leave you negative or neutral Feedback or low detailed seller ratings about the transaction. https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

Even though the written policy says "no", an eBay employee named Trinton who answers questions on the boards about eBay's policies say that yes, a buyer who requests cancellation is allowed to leave negative/neutral feedback because the buyer may have cancelled due to misconduct (not verbatim) by the seller.

@Anonymous said in the one post that was carried over here a day or so ago, that a seller could call if a negneut is left and have the rep read the messages so I guess there is hope of getting a neg removed in that case.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

If your buyer cancels a purchase, they can't leave you negative or neutral Feedback or low detailed seller ratings about the transaction. https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

Even though the written policy says "no", an eBay employee named Trinton who answers questions on the boards about eBay's policies say that yes, a buyer who requests cancellation is allowed to leave negative/neutral feedback because the buyer may have cancelled due to misconduct (not verbatim) by the seller.

@Anonymous said in the one post that was carried over here a day or so ago, that a seller could call if a negneut is left and have the rep read the messages so I guess there is hope of getting a neg removed in that case.

Well when a seller canceled something I purchased with buyer requested cancellation  (something's I did NOT ask for) I could not leave feedback.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

If that is the case that they can leave a negative, then that is another under anounced change contrary to what it says in ebay policy pages.

This will now force sellers to file unpaid after 2 days and cancel after 4.

And that opens up another problem of a buyer paying, then after receiving it, is angry so he files SNAD and leaves a negative anyway.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

Howdy everyone - happy to clarify, as this can be confusing:

@missjen831 gave accurate information, in that a seller-sent cancellation does not prevent a buyer from the act of leaving feedback. 

@*eponymous* gave great resources that are also accurate: if a buyer requests a cancellation within the first hour of purchase they shouldn't be able to leave feedback, as that process is an automated one.

If it is clear in eBay messages that the buyer requested to cancel the transaction through no action of the seller, as in this example, then feedback left should be appealable and we'd want you to contact CS to inquire about a removal. 

I hope that helps clear things up!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@*eponymous* wrote:

Well when a seller canceled something I purchased with buyer requested cancellation  (something's I did NOT ask for) I could not leave feedback.

This policy only ever applied to when the buyer sent an official request to cancel within an hour that the seller agreed to    It has never applied to if the seller sent a request to cancel although if the seller can show the buyer did request feedback is removable.  Beut yes I thought  Trinton had said it didnt even apply on official one hour requests a anymore

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 8 of 8
latest reply