cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Sellers Prevent USPS Redirecting of Their Packages by Buyers?

Most sellers believe they alone (the shipper) can redirect packages to different addresses.  However a few threads on this board have shown that buyers can do this too.  It doesn't always mean the buyer is attempting fraud by Item Not Recieved claims, but it does raise fears and concerns with the seller.

In order to prevent this possibility can the seller do anything to ensure their package isn't redirected during shipment?

I do believe there is one well know boardie here who says she never gives her buyers a DC number, and I believe she buys her postage in person at the USPS counter.

So, if the buyer isn't given the package's Delivery Confirmation number at all, doesn't that make it impossible for them to redirect?

Would this work?
Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

"It would work but you'd take hits on uploaded/validated if you were TRS "

--------------------

Hi, yes.

I'm not thinking of items worth sold for $10.00 to $50.00, that the seller sourced at a fraction of that price.  Items which may make up the vast majority of their sales here.

I mean the very occasional $300.00 to $600.00 sale the seller has here.

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

@18704dwrote:

Most sellers believe they alone (the shipper) can redirect packages to different addresses.  However a few threads on this board have shown that buyers can do this too.  It doesn't always mean the buyer is attempting fraud by Item Not Recieved claims, but it does raise fears and concerns with the seller.

In order to prevent this possibility can the seller do anything to ensure their package isn't redirected during shipment?

I do believe there is one well know boardie here who says she never gives her buyers a DC number, and I believe she buys her postage in person at the USPS counter.

So, if the buyer isn't given the package's Delivery Confirmation number at all, doesn't that make it impossible for them to redirect?

Would this work?
Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Lynn

I believe

You don’t need the delivery confirmation to redirect if you use USPS informed delivery. It shows all mail and packages being sent to you. Edit-slow typist! This has already been pointed out!  But basically withholding the tracking number will not prevent redirection.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 17 of 32
latest reply

"With Informed Delivery, I get tracking numbers whether or not the seller provided them.  It's all based on the address."

------------

Thank you for posting this.  I must confess I've never heard of this.

Over the past 6 months, I've purchased about 75 items which weren't sent with DC.

I've never been able to track when they are due at my house, which is information I'd like to know for a variety of reason.

Even now, I have 3 items in transit with no DC.

Would this work for me?  With the sellers that don't use DC?

I'd just give the USPS website my address, and I don't have to tell them each time my sellers send a shipment?

Thanks again,

Lynn

Lynn

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

You can track packages and see incoming letter mail on the day it's to be delivered.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

@couldabeenworsewrote:

If I ship a parcel to an address that is where I expect it to be delivered. Period.

You'll be putting a lotta miles on your car.   The carrier gets to make their own rules.

Really? I don't think you're getting the point.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 20 of 32
latest reply

can anyone do a redirect?

Let's say i know a buyer's address. Can I email the seller and ask for the tracking number and then have it shipped elsewhere?

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

can anyone do a redirect?

Let's say i know a buyer's address. Can I email the seller and ask for the tracking number and then have it shipped elsewhere?

I don't know about other services, but for USPS Package Intercept, you'd have to sign in with the recipient's USPS account.  I'm sure everybody has some protections in place to prevent theft.

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@18704dwrote:

Even now, I have 3 items in transit with no DC.

Would this work for me?  With the sellers that don't use DC?

I'd just give the USPS website my address, and I don't have to tell them each time my sellers send a shipment?

You create an account and verify some information (public records stuff like 'which of the following cars have you owned?').  You'll get pictures of your daily letter mail items (even junk mail) and a list of incoming packages that you can assign nicknames to (blue widget, red gizmo, etc.) and you can set up email alerts for various stages.  They say that pictures of packages will be added soon, but no date.  Right now, you probably won't get info on packages without tracking, unless they're letter sized.

It is NOT foolproof though.  I've had stuff show up addressed to my neighbors who used to live here and some packages don't show even when I already have a tracking number from here or another website.  You can add those manually though.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 23 of 32
latest reply

@couldabeenworsewrote:

If I ship a parcel to an address that is where I expect it to be delivered. Period.

You'll be putting a lotta miles on your car.   The carrier gets to make their own rules.

Then the shipping company will be giving me the seller a refund for not delivering where I paid for it to be delivered to.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

You can track packages and see incoming letter mail on the day it's to be delivered.

Not available for everyone.  I can not get informed delivery. No DPS here so the sorting process does not support "informed delivery" for me.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

@duchess-at-speakeasywrote:
Why? UPS and FedEx offer specific "redirect" policies to cut down on returned packages, and USPS has a forwarding process.

~~C~~

Well, tell that to the people who write the Buyer Protection & MBG policies at PayBay.  As long as normal package forwarding is going to be used to scam eBay sellers, eBay sellers are not going to want to play along.  If the buyer doesn't like that, they should complain to PayBay. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Would this work?
Am I missing something?

I insinuated as much in a past recent discussion here.  I believe so, but I don't deal with these re-direct problems myself. 

Obviously the problem is that if you print labels on eBay, eBay gives them the tracking number, so you'd have to stop printing labels on eBay or PayPal. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@ted_200wrote:

@duchess-at-speakeasywrote:
Why? UPS and FedEx offer specific "redirect" policies to cut down on returned packages, and USPS has a forwarding process.

~~C~~

Well, tell that to the people who write the Buyer Protection & MBG policies at PayBay.  As long as normal package forwarding is going to be used to scam eBay sellers, eBay sellers are not going to want to play along.  If the buyer doesn't like that, they should complain to PayBay. 

Why complain to Ebay when you can just tell the post office to redirect the mail piece?  I don't see buyers complaining about redirecting of mail.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

If seller protection states a seller must ship to the confirmed PayPal address, you ship the package, from your “home base” post office (like all your other packages) and someone redirects the package to another adress....my thought is you complied, as a seller, to be covered?   You have your scanned receipt showing destination at your point of contact (usual post office).   The only other person that has access to that tracking number is the buyer, and anyone who has access to their account.   

Am I missing something?

@buyselljack2016wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Not available for everyone.  I can not get informed delivery. No DPS here so the sorting process does not support "informed delivery" for me.

Keep checking. Informed Delivery wasn't available to me here in rural North Carolina when it first came out but I kept checking from time to time and it finally was available. It has saved me so many trips way down to the rural mailbox which I cannot see from my house so I never know if I have anything worth going down the long long private road.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply