cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my own shipping service? If so, how?

What if I don't want to use the eBay shipping or what if I ship from another service like buying something from target and then ship it to said person from target using target's shipping. Is this allowed/possible?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

"What if I don't want to use the eBay shipping"

This is allowed.

"what if I ship from another service like buying something from target and then ship it to said person from target using target's shipping."

This is not allowed.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

eBay shipping is not a shipping service, it is simply a way of printing labels so yes, you can use however you want.  However, ordering something from another retailer and having it sent to a buyer is not allowed.  That is considered retail arbitrage and is not allowed on ebay.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

You can ship through any service you deem acceptable.

What you are talking about with target is called retail dropshipping and isn't allowed.  Then again, I don't know of any cases where a seller has gotten in trouble for retail dropshipping.  Somebody correct me if I'm completely wrong.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

@jimmycs_cards_and_memorabilia wrote:

What if I don't want to use the eBay shipping or what if I ship from another service like buying something from target and then ship it to said person from target using target's shipping. Is this allowed/possible?

That's violating ebay's rules on drop-shipping - because it's not legitimate drop-shipping.

Also buyers hate that.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

@justafemster wrote:

You can ship through any service you deem acceptable.

What you are talking about with target is called retail dropshipping and isn't allowed.  Then again, I don't know of any cases where a seller has gotten in trouble for retail dropshipping.  Somebody correct me if I'm completely wrong.

There have been posts from sellers who had their selling privileges suspended because they were 'suspected' of doing this.  Drop shipping is allowed if the seller has an arrangement with the wholesaler but not the type of drop shipping that the op described.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

YES, not too long ago someone came to the boards complaining eBay flagged them for dropshipping. 

A couple of years ago a seller complained they were flagged for dropshipping and their Top Rated status was downgraded to Above Average. So it happens if a buyer complains.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@jimmycs_cards_and_memorabilia- I have seen sellers lose their accounts for ignoring this policy.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/drop-shipping?id=4176

Drop shipping, where you fulfill orders directly from a wholesale supplier, is allowed on eBay. Remember that if you use drop shipping, you’re still responsible for the safe delivery of the item within the time frame stated in your listing and for the buyer’s overall satisfaction with their purchase.

However, listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay. Activity that doesn’t follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including but not limited to: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, loss of buyer or seller protections, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

In my experience , you can use your shipping method ( Seller Shipping method ) but this item tracking number should trackable one because if unable to tracking on eBay it effect your seller level . I recommend Use Courier service ( Package Delivery Service ) it is helpful to you !!

Thank You !   

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@jimmycs_cards_and_memorabilia- I have seen sellers lose their accounts for ignoring this policy.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/drop-shipping?id=4176

Drop shipping, where you fulfill orders directly from a wholesale supplier, is allowed on eBay. Remember that if you use drop shipping, you’re still responsible for the safe delivery of the item within the time frame stated in your listing and for the buyer’s overall satisfaction with their purchase.

However, listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay. Activity that doesn’t follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including but not limited to: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, loss of buyer or seller protections, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.

Oddly enough, that prohibited policy closely describes the relationship between eBay and the seller who is essentially a drop shipper for eBay.  

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

However, listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay.

I am just curious. I, and I believe others here based on some comments made, have a customer who routinely buys from me but each time it is sent to a different address. That sounds like drop shipping to me. Once in a while might be a gift to a relative but repeatedly - well how many relatives do they have?

The questions are:

Since it is being bought and drop shipped from eBay is that permissible? After all it says ANOTHER retailer or (presumably another) marketplace.

And am I, as  an innocent third party, in any trouble or does it all fall on the buyer.

Understand I am not complaining  - a sale is a sale. But what are the guidelines.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

That is perfectly allowed since it is the buyer who is doing the dropshipping, not the seller.  Presumably they are selling on another site and not eBay-- why would they list something for sale on eBay that's already listed for sale on eBay for a lower price?

What isn't allowed is, for example, if I were to list something for sale that I didn't actually have in my possession, and then when someone bought it, I turned around and ordered that item from Walmart and had it shipped directly to the buyer.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@north40sales wrote:

@coffeebean832 wrote:

Oddly enough, that prohibited policy closely describes the relationship between eBay and the seller who is essentially a drop shipper for eBay.  

That doesn't come anywhere close to describing eBay's function.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

However, listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay.

This seems like it contradicts itself considering that that is the definition of dropshipping and they say dropshipping is allowed.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

In legitimate drop-shipping you would have a contract with the supplier to insure they have the product available to fulfill your orders. They would basically be holding your stock and shipping it for you when an order comes in.

In your scenario you are selling something you do not own or have any control over.

This is not hard to understand.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply