cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Case of Emergency

I started writing an "action plan" of things to do with my eBay account in case something happens, but I gave up by the time I got to the second line.

I have Seller Hub as my homepage on my computer and it took me 10 minutes to explain to my poor mother what a homepage even is. I'm (really) tempted to send her straight to the forum and instruct her to just write a post asking what to do, but I'm pretty sure that's not the way to go either.

Then I started thinking about the thousands of items in my inventory and I really have no idea what someone would do with all this stuff (other than sell it on eBay). Thoughts? Ideas?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

In Case of Emergency

First, here's to hoping no need for Emergency protocol.

All I have written down are instructions to access, passwords (ours are duo, so you need my device) and how to place on Time Away.

Will either deal with it or will not. 

It is hard to explain how this works to anyone who does not do this, etc.

If I am not here any longer, my family will need to sort out how to get it all donated and gone.  Lol

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

In Case of Emergency

@popblox 

Oh hun, chances are pretty good that something will happened to mom before you but I understand. Do you have a good friend that you could convey your plan of action to?

I would say that contacting the forum like you stated would be one way. As far as your items go, donating to a shelter or thrift shop all items. Type up your instructions and sign/date and put in a safe place, include your user ID, password for ebay.

I hope this all won't take place soon because I would be sad and Silver doesn't like sad!

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

In Case of Emergency

At the very least, show them how to put the account on hold.

You bring a good point regarding a "plan b" in case you are ill, and unable to attend to your store. But yes, this is something everyone should consider. I do not have your volume/inventory, perhaps my situation might be easier. I showed my DW how to handle the eBay account. List items, package and ship. She has sold some of her things and is fine with that. Packaging, printing labels and that is fine too. Her only weakness is what to do in case of problems, then again, I guess we all share this as well.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

In Case of Emergency

@popblox wrote:

I have Seller Hub as my homepage on my computer and it took me 10 minutes to explain to my poor mother what a homepage even is. I'm (really) tempted to send her straight to the forum and instruct her to just write a post asking what to do, but I'm pretty sure that's not the way to go either.

Sorry, but from what you yourself have told us here, your mother is simply not a candidate for the work that will need to be done when you're gone. I would not continue down that road.

Start by writing down the basic info that will be needed by someone who is familiar with what will need to be done. Assume that your reader knows what you're talking about, and don't try to write a training course. Separately, you may want to ask around to find someone who will be qualified to take care of this: someone at your church, or your attorney's office in conjunction with your will, that kind of thing. This is not something you want to dump on your mother.

I think (although I have not had to do this myself) that you can get eBay to help, once you can provide them with whatever documentation is needed for them to recognize that the user is deceased.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

In Case of Emergency

I would probably also make sure that whoever may have to take on the task, familiarize them with how to contact ebay via facebook, or twitter, in the event something pops up that they aren't sure how to proceed. 

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't see CS via phone ever getting back to what could be remotely called helpful.

With those 2 sources and this forum, pretty much everything in time should be able to be handled while trying to figure out how to proceed with your items.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

In Case of Emergency

I have an eBay seller (long time business friends) who will be able to go into my account and do all that is needed to be done.

All my kid's have to do is contact her and give her my current password to get in. She has me as her backup in the same way.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

In Case of Emergency

...I'm a very bad planner and very independent...if anything happened to me, too bad I won't be here anymore to hear, see, or deal with criticism...buyers will be mad but they will get back their money...eBay can strike down my account but why should I care when I can't make a sale from another world...and my property will be on the hand of the estate executor by my will...I am moving out of this temporary world, don't see the needs of placing my burden on someone's shoulders...

...again, it's me, my personal choice and I know it will drive somebody else nuts...sorry for the true words...

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

In Case of Emergency

We've got 3 people who can do the eBay work (everything from listing to packing) or, if needed, to put our store on vacation.

We have 3 working computers and 2 printers.

We have a county library card so we can borrow their computers/printers if needed.

We have a map of all the local coffee shops that offer free Wifi so we can communicate on eBay if needed.

We have the # of eBay support written down if needed.

Our biggest problem would be finding items that sold. We try hard to make it simple but we keep a lot of older stock that have wound up in unexpected places.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

In Case of Emergency

@bbravo65 

And I would be very sad to see you go as your one of my favorite posters!

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

In Case of Emergency

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

...I will ask God to become your guardian angel and I can assure you that I am a very good protector and helper...

(you made my day with your touching words...God blessing you my dear...)

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

In Case of Emergency

@a_c_green wrote:

@popblox wrote:

Sorry, but from what you yourself have told us here, your mother is simply not a candidate for the work that will need to be done when you're gone. I would not continue down that road.

Start by writing down the basic info that will be needed by someone who is familiar with what will need to be done. Assume that your reader knows what you're talking about, and don't try to write a training course. Separately, you may want to ask around to find someone who will be qualified to take care of this: someone at your church, or your attorney's office in conjunction with your will, that kind of thing. This is not something you want to dump on your mother.

I think (although I have not had to do this myself) that you can get eBay to help, once you can provide them with whatever documentation is needed for them to recognize that the user is deceased.

Yes, I think that's kind of the problem, I know my mom could never handle figuring it out (she informed me she just wouldn't even try, actually).

I don't really have an "ask around" kind of lifestyle - as a rule, people in general kind of get on my nerves. No church, and my friends are mostly hairstylists that I used to work with and they want no part of it either. 

But, you bring up a good point, I hadn't thought of attorney/executor type of person - I'm sure they could at least figure out how to login and make a phone call for a reasonable fee. Thank you!

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

In Case of Emergency

@iart wrote:

Our biggest problem would be finding items that sold. We try hard to make it simple but we keep a lot of older stock that have wound up in unexpected places.

Yep, this is my biggest issue, too. *I* know where everything is, but I sell so many small things that there can be a few dozen items in a single box, and I don't have them labeled because I just have my own mental storage system to keep track of where things are. Plus they're all in my storage unit and I wouldn't want my parents trying to climb around in there and get up on ladders to get at the boxes on top of the shelves...

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

In Case of Emergency

@randysauto01 wrote:

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't see CS via phone ever getting back to what could be remotely called helpful.

Oh, I totally agree, but I don't think death notifications are handled by the usual clueless phone reps. I have a vague recollection from past discussions that these issues are routed elsewhere, sort of like the Law Enforcement portal.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

In Case of Emergency

Write all important passwords down on paper, put under laptop or somewhere that 'MOM' knows where they are hidden. 

Find 1 person that knows ebay. 

If something happens, Mom is told to get ahold of That Person, give them password and have them put everything on 'Time Away', then cancel/refund orders (If it looks like won't be anytime soon to be shipped)

Message 15 of 26
latest reply