cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I cancel this listing without being charged a fee?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ingersoll-Rand-IQv20-Cordless-20V-Impact-Wrench-Gun-Kit-Drive-1-100-Ft-Lbs/...

I've relisted this tool here a few times now without selling but sold it yesterday on Craigslist. Will I be charged a cancellation fee to cancel with a bid and 5 days left in the listing? I haven't cancelled anything in years.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Can I cancel this listing without being charged a fee?

I wish I knew the answer to that.  I had to cancel an auction item the other day because it was missing and I didn't want the auction to end and then cancel the sale which would result in a defect for being out of stock.   Also, I keep finding these duplicate listings and I don't  know how they keep popping up.   What you need to find out if there is a penalty and whether it's going to be the final value fee of the listing if it had proceeded.   ebay hates losing sales even if it's on another venue.   When I cancel listings I always say it's damaged or lost which is actually true.   Can you find a reason to cancel the bid and then cancel the listing?

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

When go to the End Listing page I get,

By clicking the End My Listing button, you agree to pay an End auction-style listing early fee for canceling bids and ending this listing, if applicable.

But it doesn't say what that fee is.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

@atikovi

@lightlily_arts

There is no fee for ending a fixed price listing, or an auction-format listing that has received no bids.

If you end an auction early after it has received bids, you are charged the same final value fee as if you had sold to the high bidder.  The first such cancellation per year is free. This type of cancellation can be done only if the auction has more than 12 hours left.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

OK, it WOULD be my first cancellation. Thanks.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Thank you.  It was my first ever and I definitely had more than 12 hours left.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Here's a good page for all eBay sellers to read about cancelling auctions. It's really a good idea for sellers to read all the eBay help pages to establish a firm understanding of how the site works and how to handle situations like this that come up from time to time. Consider the help pages to be the equivalent of a procedure manual you're handed at a new job. You'd read that, if you wanted to be successful, right?

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/cancelling-listing?id=4146
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

I did read that but there is not a single mention of what the cancellation fee is or that you are allowed one cancellation a year without a fee. Finding anything about written Ebay policy is difficult. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Somehow the Help pages lost a lot of basic information when the format was changed.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

I did read that but there is not a single mention of what the cancellation fee is or that you are allowed one cancellation a year without a fee. Finding anything about written Ebay policy is difficult. 

Okay, but the question you posed in your original post was, "Will I be charged a cancellation fee to cancel with a bid and 5 days left in the listing?" That's the question I addressed in my reply.

On the page for which I provided a link, it says:

You can end your auction listing early, if:

• There are no bids yet on your item
  • There are bids on your item, and you are willing to sell your item to the current highest bidder
  • There are bids on your item and you don't want to sell it to the highest bidder, but there are 12 or more hours left in the listing. In this situation, you'll need to cancel all active bids before you can end your listing. We charge a fee for ending a listing in this way

Since you had no bids on your auction, the inference is there is no fee.

Now you're asking, " . . . what the cancellation fee is or that you are allowed one cancellation a year without a fee."

The page I provided a link to did indeed answer the questions about the cancellation fee--there is none. Because there is no fee associated with the cancellation of your auction (since it had no bids), the question regarding whether members "are allowed one cancellation a year without a fee" is moot.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

But it DID have a bid when I posted this question. I have since cancelled it, thus it shows as not having any bids now.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Sorry, it's good you sold, but list here or list there but don't list simultaneously on both. 

It destroys goodwill to cancel a bidder and it unnecessarily complicates things for you and everyone.  If it had no bidder it would be a different story.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

But it DID have a bid when I posted this question. I have since cancelled it, thus it shows as not having any bids now.

So you cancelled the bid and then ended it? You may be charged the FVF of what the bid was. This is the whole reason the cancellation fee (which is always the FVF of the price of the highest bidder) was put in for. Sellers were cancelling bids and ending the items because they weren't getting the prices they wanted. So, don't be surprised if you get a fee for whatever the FVF would have been had it sold for the highest bid price.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Auction had 5 days to go.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

I think you get 1 free pass....you can cancel when there are bids once a year & not be charged a FVF unless that policy changed

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 15 of 22
latest reply