cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT EBAY GIFT CARDS CANNOT BE USED FOR SOME CATEGORIES???

I give out a lot of Ebay gift cards as gifts, and I recently received one from my nephew.  He usually sends me one every year for my birthday.  I usually buy coins when I get Ebay gift cards.  I've done so for the last ten years.  I was shocked to see that Ebay has now put restrictions on Ebay Gift Cards.  I went to make a purchase of a coin, and when I attempted to apply the gift card, it would not allow me to use it.  The system indicated that it was not allowed to be used for this category (coins).  I could not believe it, especially since I used similar gift cards in the past for purchasing coins.  My nephew knows that's what I buy, and I'm sure he had no knowledge that the card now has new unpublished restrictions.   I really don't understand this because he paid full price for the card at a Walgreens, plus a service fee.  There should not be restrictions on a gift card where you are limited on what merchandise you purchase.  Bad move by Ebay.  I had to use the gift card for something else, reluctantly.  I will no longer buy gift cards for clients and friends, and I have asked my nephew to choose another card next year.  Ebay has a duty to inform the purchasing public that EBAY GIFT CARD CANNOT BE USED FOR ALL ITEMS.   Shame on you Ebay!!!  Another self-serving move that will hurt gift card sales, and sales in general ultimately.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@estatecompany- They added those restrictions in 2016, I think. Here's the FAQ page with all the use restrictions listed.

https://pages.ebay.com/giftcard/faqs.html

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Yes, I can believe gift cards are not able to be used on some purchases, coins being one of them.  It says it in the eBay gift card terms and conditions which items you can't purchase with a gift card.  

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I can believe it, because it's stated in the gift card Terms and Conditions.

Restrictions

9. The Gift Card may not be used to pay eBay or PayPal service fees. The Gift Card also may not be used to buy eBay Gift Cards, third party gift cards, gift certificates, coupons, coins, paper money, virtual currency, or items generally considered to be "bullion" (for example, gold, silver, and other precious metals in the form of coins, bars, or ingots).

In case you want to read up on the other Terms and Conditions for gift cards, here's the link:

https://pages.ebay.com/giftcard/terms_conditions.html

EDITED TO ADD: Cross-posted with the two previous members' posts.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I used them for coin purchases for 8 years prior to 2016.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I could be wrong but I believe there are no gift cards that allows a person to buy currency. If they allowed it most would just exchange the gift card for cash.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply