cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying on e-bay. Price differences.

I buy occasionally here and have noticed over the years when searching

for common items on BIN the prices vary quite a bit.

For example I am searching for a diecast car. There may be about 200 of the same

car up for offer. A few sellers have the price at $9.99 ($5.00 s/h) while another has it for $2.99.

($4.25 s/h). Both sellers have 100 percent feedback top seller status.

I noticed sponsored/promoted items are almost always at beginning of search while others

are buried.

The sponsored/promoted items are almost always much higher than the average going price. 

I understand the sellers pays a fee for this option.

Is this fair play for buyers? Or just another sneaky retail trick.

I know better to search for the best price.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Buying on e-bay. Price differences.

I happily ignore all of the sponsored listings.

I rarely buy anything with 200 listings. If I do I sort the results by lowest price first. Or I buy it on Amazon where one buys commodity products.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Fair?

eBay doesnt tell sellers how to price their items. eBay also doesnt make sellers promote.

I always go right past the promoted items. I have also found they are higher priced.

Low cost is not always the best item. That item may have condition issues. 

Buyers need to read the description and the sellers FB.

I always search by lowest price - 

Buyers have a back button so I guess picking which item and how much they pay is "fair"

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Many sellers using promoted listings build it into the price and yes, it negates the entire concept of paid exposure in a way yet those that do not might be quite successful at it.  I can understand why it was done given cellphones limited real-estate but IMHO what should be in place is a competitive price engine.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@silenthunter5by5 wrote:

...  I noticed sponsored/promoted items are almost always at beginning of search while others are buried.

The sponsored/promoted items are almost always much higher than the average going price. 

I understand the sellers pays a fee for this option.

Is this fair play for buyers? Or just another sneaky retail trick...

It's the same "retail trick" you see at the grocery stores:  The stuff in the middle shelves is there because the manufacturers paid a premium to have their products placed there, at more or less eye level for most adults.  The middle shelves are the easiest to see and the easiest to reach.  You will find the un-promoted, or less-promated, items, on the highest shelves and the lowest shelves, where things are harder to see and harder to reach.  You will also find they are usually cheaper. 

All  promotional costs must be built into the final pricing.  Think about the price differences between heavily-advertised brands and the generic versions of the same products.   That usually has less to do with differences in quality than differences in the cost to advertise, promote, and protect, the brand names.

So, if you are price-conscious you may wish to avoid items on eBay that are promoted, the goods on the middle shelves at the grocery store, and things that you see are heavily advertised.

We still have a more or less free market economy in the U.S., so I don't think the "fairness" of any of this is an issue.

-

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

On eBay, just like at B&M retailers, sellers can list for any price they choose.

To restrict this in any way would be seriously against the law.

Why is it NOT fair play for buyers? If you are searching for a particular item, and there are several listings, of course, they will not all have the same price.  If I shop at Target and at WalMart  for the same item, again, the price most likely won't be identical.  

Also, the promoted items cost the seller an extra fee to be promoted.

Guess I don't exactly understand your problem/issue.  And, yes, most smart shoppers shop using price comparison.  Other factors that might be considered are seller's FB, length of time it will take to arrive, etc.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

On eBay, just like at B&M retailers, sellers can list for any price they choose.

B&M Cannot do that.  They are afforded very little variance from distributorships for current product.  Product is consign.  If they could do that, Target as you're example would have ceased to exist ages back as Walmart can easily afford to put them under pricing everything low enough to do so.  Its deemed Anti-Competitive Business Practices.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@retro_entertainment_collectibles wrote:

@soh.maryl wrote:

B&M Cannot do that.  They are afforded very little variance from distributorships for current product.  Product is consign.  If they could do that, Target as you're example would have ceased to exist ages back as Walmart can easily afford to put them under pricing everything low enough to do so.  Its deemed Anti-Competitive Business Practices.

Although it appears that it might be "predatory pricing", it is done frequently, often underwritten by the manufacturer.

When I ran marketing for a division of a Fortune 200 corporation I had two lawyers on my staff whose sole function was making sure we could price as we wanted for any customer that our sales department wanted to without violating anti-trust laws. Some of those deals were novel and squirrelly. but legal.

Walmart was frequently accused of "predatory pricing". Whether they were guilty was not something I had an opinion on. By the time they expanded to New England, any competitor who was not brain dead, knew how to survive the arrival of Walmart. The only retailers who closed their doors were of retirement age and did not want to do what it took to compete. Frequently, their real estate was worth far more than their business and those I knew were well positioned financially for a comfortable retirement.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

@retro_entertainment_collectibles wrote:

@soh.maryl wrote:

Although it appears that it might be "predatory pricing", it is done frequently, often underwritten by the manufacturer.

When I ran marketing for a division of a Fortune 200 corporation I had two lawyers on my staff whose sole function was making sure we could price as we wanted for any customer that our sales department wanted to without violating anti-trust laws. Some of those deals were novel and squirrelly. but legal.

Walmart was frequently accused of "predatory pricing". Whether they were guilty was not something I had an opinion on. By the time they expanded to New England, any competitor who was not brain dead, knew how to survive the arrival of Walmart. The only retailers who closed their doors were of retirement age and did not want to do what it took to compete. Frequently, their real estate was worth far more than their business and those I knew were well positioned financially for a comfortable retirement.

Oh there's many creative ways to be sure and of course the bigger the players the more weight that can carry with distributorships.  We worked with Ingram allot and Navarre both of which were quite nasty about it.

Walmart of course is also not what they once were, "America's Retailer."  I remember a time when they actually purchased a significant share of varied merchandise versus consign.  Yea, I'm not a fan of Walmart their variable pricing models having folks in poorer communities who generally pay by EBT is so shoddy.  Like gas stations now doing zone based pricings too due to claimed costs of freighting etc to terminals.

Now I was just reading that many retailers are scaling or looking to scale retail space as "GEN A" comes of age and the article said they are the first fully mobile generation.  They tend to browse Brick and Mortar for many products but tend to buy more online than B&M.  So B&M are moving towards holding less stock in stores and more in online warehousing towards direct fulfillment.  Obviously Walmart perhaps even more so than Amazon has quite advantage there given their nation freighting capabilities.  Be interesting to watch albeit as I said, I loath the company, they do not hold the traditions ole' Sam built them as.

I also the other day read a danged scary article which is also prattled on my ex (politician) about.  This coming election year maybe just ghastly economically for sales.  One side of the equation pushing economic fear, border obviously and crime... Retail crime.  So I asked her is that likely spill into the online universe by "Cap'n Tramp."  So, its 110% certain things will spill over into consumer stress, anxiety and worry of their wallets, it already has or economics whilst always on a general election radar is very much already on it and has been.  She told me he'll do whatever is necessary and if that includes bringing the issues surrounding the Shop Safe Act into the national radar he'll do just that.  She did tell me should they hold Congress/Senate and gain the WH it's pretty a given.  They'll pass whatever comes across the desk in favor of manufacturers/retailers yet interestingly enough Shop Safe was penned by the other worms.

She's the lady that threw me the phrase I've used at least 25 times in the last week, "The most advanced, free and unique nation to ever exist ends up with two choices as leader neither the least of nations in the world would accept."  Thats just WILD when you consider it in a historical context and damned scary as a reality.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply