cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers returning damaged or missing items and eBay siding with buyers

Had two buyers on two open cases return either damaged or incomplete items. For the damaged item, I contacted the buyer who flat out lied and said he returned the item in perfect condition. It was missing its original packaging box and a nozzle for the spray tube. The buyer complained about the high price. 

For the incomplete item, the buyer took the beauty supplies out of the gift set and returned the supplies themselves. When I escalated to eBay, I was told to message buyer. Messaged buyer with no response. Customer service closed out the case and automatically gave me a defect, even though I voluntarily fully refunded the buyer after they closed out the case.

In the email about the closed out case, CS says that sellers have the option to return 50% of the payment if item is returned damaged or modified. I wonder what's the point when sellers have to lawyer the buyers into admitting what they did wrong, and some buyers are reluctant to own up to their deeds. In my case, both items are useless and a complete loss. I am wondering if there was any way to win these cases in the first place. The buyers could have returned a rock and I would still be forced to refund them.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This has been happening for a decade - ever since eBay introduced the Money Back Guarantee. And for that decade sellers have been complaining about it and eBay has not come up with a solution. 

Personally, I don't think there is a solution - short of either introducing an expensive escrow and inspection service, or letting sellers decide cases (and having buyers abandon eBay and leave it a ghost town). 

Most of the successful sellers I have encountered on this board either don't have an issue with this, or they have built a reserve for losses into their business model. The rest are either losing money or have chosen to leave. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@bubbles1234567 wrote:
The buyers could have returned a rock and I would still be forced to refund them.

Ebay never see's the item you ship, and they never see the item the buyer returns.

In cases like this, they almost always take the buyers side.

They could have sent an empty box back and you would have to refund.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

This has been happening for a decade - ever since eBay introduced the Money Back Guarantee. And for that decade sellers have been complaining about it and eBay has not come up with a solution. 

Personally, I don't think there is a solution - short of either introducing an expensive escrow and inspection service, or letting sellers decide cases (and having buyers abandon eBay and leave it a ghost town). 

Most of the successful sellers I have encountered on this board either don't have an issue with this, or they have built a reserve for losses into their business model. The rest are either losing money or have chosen to leave. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

seller should report the buyer to EBay,too many complaints,Ebay will ban the buyer from buying as he becomes a hazard to Ebay seller community,but he can still sell if he is a seller himself.

not much else you can do in your case but to block him.

when youget Ebay invlolved,yoy get a defect which will hurt your standing 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply