cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers purchase does not fit, escalades to multiple complaints of item. Now what?!

I sold a used dress described as excellent condition, off white in color, no holes, stains, tears..etc. 

I did not put measurements of the dress in the ad (my first mistake). I displayed this dress on a mannequin for the pictures. I originally purchased this dress, and never wore it. So yes its brand new without the tags but ive had it in my closet for awhile so in my opinion i would consider it used. I did not wash the item prior to mailing as it did not have any stains or ill odors on it. I have my returns policy as "no returns" understanding NOW that i would not recieve this dress back in the wake of an unhappy buyer. I PAID FOR SHIPPING. 

I recieved a returns request from buyer as "item not as described".  First buyer stated the item had such a chemical odor of fabric softener that she instantly began sneezing after opening the package. Then, stated this dress does not fit her whatsoever claiming it is too short of a dress for her. I replied sincerely apologizing, reminding buyer never inquired on the measurements of the size small dress prior to bidding and do not accept returns. She then continued to reply with statements of the dress being heavily washed and "dingy" and her example was "white clothing turning a greyish hue from overwashing". In my title of the dress i described the color as an "off white" because naturally that is the color. She claimed the dress must actually be a petite size not regular size as i had described in my ad although the brand of the dress does not make petite sizes. She then claimed i had to of attached the tag to the dress myself. She acknowledged the dress fit the mannequin well with the waist of the dress sitting at the waist line but in reality the dress "is an empire waist on her". After the accusations, i offered a partial refund to her upon recieving the dress back with her responsibility of return shipping. She declined my offer and demanded a full refund with my responsibility of shipping and from there the buyer began sending harassing messages. Buyer began claiming she has been a buyer much longer than i have been a seller and "how dare I begin to educate her on Ebay policies".

I called Ebay and talked to a customer service rep named Louie. After asking her a simple question of how this will pan out, she explained it will be in favor of the buyer. I then told Louie my experience with this buyer and in return, she asked to put me on hold to review the messages between myself and the buyer. After taking me off hold, Louie explained after reading the long messages it is clear the main reason the buyer wants to return the item is because it does not fit. She insisted i wait 3 more days for ebay to step in and she would personally call me back on Monday with the resolution of the case. I then asked her "if the case wins in favor of the buyer can i still get the dress back?" Louie replied stating after reading the messages the buyer will keep the dress and the case will more than likely be in my favor. Sounds great right!? Well after reading all the other situations here that are extremely similar to my case, I'm not feeling so confident in Louie.

Has any seller ever been IN FAVOR and PROTECTED BY EBAY in a similiar situation? 

I drove 20 minutes to the store to purchase packaging materials, then stood in line for 20 minutes at the post office to ship the package out. Does that just get ignored? That is my reasoning for offering a partial refund. I'm a full-time college student and was trying to make a few extra dollars for groceries. I am not an avid seller on ebay. I spend majority of my time on here being a buyer. Why is a full refund even possible if the item did not fit? How is it the sellers responsibility to make sure the item will fit the buyer prior to them bidding and how is that even possible? Even when sellers list the measurements, buyers claim items dont fit and demand a full refund. 

I appreciate all sellers on this site because i know the money and time lost when deciding to sell items at such low bids. I GET IT!!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Buyers purchase does not fit, escalades to multiple complaints of item. Now what?!

First off, I went to check the OPs listings and the link takes me to a completely different id, not the usual empty selling page that you usually get on a posting id.  Serious glitch going on here.

Next - OP, you should have just said return for refund.  ebay allows sellers to say no returns because the newbies make mistakes and scammy buyers get freebies.  No returns does NOT mean no refunds. 

Never defend/explain your listing, item, terms of sale, shipping or price when a buyer complains.  Just say return for refund - if they filed a not described dispute, send a ship label through ebay.  Do it immediately or ebay will just refund the buyer and let them keep the item.

If you got a ebay call in CS that has an accent - ask if they are in the US in dispute resolution and if not, they are saying anything they think you want to hear to get you off the phone.  ebay CS are notorious around here for giving out advice that can and will destroy a selling account and cost the seller lots of money.

You could defend the no returns, because fit is not a snad, but to be honest, you are dwelling on way too many things that are unimportant to be able to pull it off .

(*Bleep*)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

" After asking her a simple question of how this will pan out, she explained it will be in favor of the buyer. I then told Louie my experience with this buyer and in return, she asked to put me on hold to review the messages between myself and the buyer. After taking me off hold, Louie explained after reading the long messages it is clear the main reason the buyer wants to return the item is because it does not fit. She insisted i wait 3 more days for ebay to step in and she would personally call me back on Monday with the resolution of the case. I then asked her "if the case wins in favor of the buyer can i still get the dress back?" Louie replied stating after reading the messages the buyer will keep the dress and the case will more than likely be in my favor."

----------

The case will be found in favor of your buyer.

You will get a deadly defect for case closed without seller resolution.

You should accept the return,

and have your buyer return the item at your expense.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

@misscali27 wrote:

I sold a used dress described as excellent condition, off white in color, no holes, stains, tears..etc. 

I did not put measurements of the dress in the ad (my first mistake). I displayed this dress on a mannequin for the pictures. I originally purchased this dress, and never wore it. So yes its brand new without the tags but ive had it in my closet for awhile so in my opinion i would consider it used. I did not wash the item prior to mailing as it did not have any stains or ill odors on it. I have my returns policy as "no returns" understanding NOW that i would not recieve this dress back in the wake of an unhappy buyer. I PAID FOR SHIPPING. 

I recieved a returns request from buyer as "item not as described".  First buyer stated the item had such a chemical odor of fabric softener that she instantly began sneezing after opening the package. Then, stated this dress does not fit her whatsoever claiming it is too short of a dress for her. I replied sincerely apologizing, reminding buyer never inquired on the measurements of the size small dress prior to bidding and do not accept returns. She then continued to reply with statements of the dress being heavily washed and "dingy" and her example was "white clothing turning a greyish hue from overwashing". In my title of the dress i described the color as an "off white" because naturally that is the color. She claimed the dress must actually be a petite size not regular size as i had described in my ad although the brand of the dress does not make petite sizes. She then claimed i had to of attached the tag to the dress myself. She acknowledged the dress fit the mannequin well with the waist of the dress sitting at the waist line but in reality the dress "is an empire waist on her". After the accusations, i offered a partial refund to her upon recieving the dress back with her responsibility of return shipping. She declined my offer and demanded a full refund with my responsibility of shipping and from there the buyer began sending harassing messages. Buyer began claiming she has been a buyer much longer than i have been a seller and "how dare I begin to educate her on Ebay policies".

I called Ebay and talked to a customer service rep named Louie. After asking her a simple question of how this will pan out, she explained it will be in favor of the buyer. I then told Louie my experience with this buyer and in return, she asked to put me on hold to review the messages between myself and the buyer. After taking me off hold, Louie explained after reading the long messages it is clear the main reason the buyer wants to return the item is because it does not fit. She insisted i wait 3 more days for ebay to step in and she would personally call me back on Monday with the resolution of the case. I then asked her "if the case wins in favor of the buyer can i still get the dress back?" Louie replied stating after reading the messages the buyer will keep the dress and the case will more than likely be in my favor. Sounds great right!? Well after reading all the other situations here that are extremely similar to my case, I'm not feeling so confident in Louie.

Has any seller ever been IN FAVOR and PROTECTED BY EBAY in a similiar situation? 

I drove 20 minutes to the store to purchase packaging materials, then stood in line for 20 minutes at the post office to ship the package out. Does that just get ignored? That is my reasoning for offering a partial refund. I'm a full-time college student and was trying to make a few extra dollars for groceries. I am not an avid seller on ebay. I spend majority of my time on here being a buyer. Why is a full refund even possible if the item did not fit? How is it the sellers responsibility to make sure the item will fit the buyer prior to them bidding and how is that even possible? Even when sellers list the measurements, buyers claim items dont fit and demand a full refund. 

I appreciate all sellers on this site because i know the money and time lost when deciding to sell items at such low bids. I GET IT!!

I'm afraid the previous poster is correct. There really isn't anything such as No Returns. When I buyer files a Not as Described, I cannot remember a time when it's been found in my favor, even though I've had all the boxes checked and as much proof as possible.

It is easier just to accept and not have any black marks on your account. They stay around for a long time. 

Ann

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@misscali27 wrote:

@shellyrn4u I recognize you are a new part-time seller but how would you feel if you bought a dress without measurements and it didn't fit you and the seller told you to send it back and pay for shipping and then you will get only a partial refund.  How does that make sense?  The seller will then have the dress to resell (including measurements the next time they list) and you will be out money and absolutely nothing to show for it.

Your suggestion to the buyer is absolutely ridiculous.  You should have just accepted her 'not as described' return case and then refund her in FULL once you are in receipt of the dress.

Better luck next time.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Please the buyer bought from a seller with a no return policy and didn't ask for measurements.  Anytime I buy online I know there is a risk that things won't fit and not all places offer me totally free returns.  I bought my child some shoes in may that don't fit.  They were a good deal $10  directly from the retailer   The retailer does offer returns but I'd be responsible for return shipping and they'd refund minus my initial shipping.  I'd end up with nothing after returning ha  not worth returning and wouldn't dream of some false claim to make the retailer cover those costs.  It's the risk of online shopping!  

That Said op I doubt you win this case since the buyer gave so many reasons if it was just fit mentioned I'd say fight it but I I wouldn't fight this one.  Just accept the return and provide the label 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

I think any seller who lists without measurements should be prepared to take items back.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

First off, I went to check the OPs listings and the link takes me to a completely different id, not the usual empty selling page that you usually get on a posting id.  Serious glitch going on here.

Next - OP, you should have just said return for refund.  ebay allows sellers to say no returns because the newbies make mistakes and scammy buyers get freebies.  No returns does NOT mean no refunds. 

Never defend/explain your listing, item, terms of sale, shipping or price when a buyer complains.  Just say return for refund - if they filed a not described dispute, send a ship label through ebay.  Do it immediately or ebay will just refund the buyer and let them keep the item.

If you got a ebay call in CS that has an accent - ask if they are in the US in dispute resolution and if not, they are saying anything they think you want to hear to get you off the phone.  ebay CS are notorious around here for giving out advice that can and will destroy a selling account and cost the seller lots of money.

You could defend the no returns, because fit is not a snad, but to be honest, you are dwelling on way too many things that are unimportant to be able to pull it off .

(*Bleep*)
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

So is eBay outing posting IDs now?

@Anonymous   This needs to get fixed... STAT! Smiley Sad

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Looks like the OP changed her name today, 6/28/17.

User ID           Effective Date   End Date    

shellyrn4u   Jun-28-17              Present    

misscali27   Jul-20-08             Jun-28-17

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

TL DR

You sold a thing.

The buyer doesn't want the thing.

Tell the buyer to return the thing.

When you get the thing back, refund.

Relist the thing.

If the buyer goes to eBay.

Send the buyer a Return Shipping Label.

When you get the thing back, refund.

Relist the thing.

Well, maybe I'm not a fancy gentleman like you, with your... very fine hat. But I do business. We're here for business.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

I think any seller who lists without measurements should be prepared to take items back.

a buyer purchases an item with no measurements, doesn't ask measurements, and the seller states no returns takes that risk. They had the option to not do so but just took it their choice.  

I mostly buy my kids clothes because fit issues aren't as bad with them as it is myself.  Plus I'm sensitive to certain materials. However if I buy from a no return seller I assume all risk assoaciated fit or material whether the seller listed it or not.  But especially if I don't even ask.  I've bought things and had to instantly resell or even just donate it 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

yes i changed my username today! 🙂 I created this account in 2008 and havent done any updating to my information in a long time so i decided to update it all, including my username. lol. I am no longer 16 years old and "misscali". i was way too into the Hollister brand back then 😉 I also needed to update my return shipping address incase she agreed to ship it back.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

i appreciate your response, you think like me! As a buyer, ive gotten many items that didnt fit and i was at fault for not asking for measurements. I kept the purchase and moved on, i didnt dispute it.
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

She failed to inquire on the measurements prior to bidding. She ASSUMED it would fit her. Yet I have to take that fall?
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

This.

I saw that...

~KARMA
Message 15 of 26
latest reply