cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers pays lower shipping than seller is charged.

When I entered an item I selected Calculated: Cost varies by buyer location; USPS First Class; Large Envelope; 9" x 6" x 1" and 7 ounces. The buyer is charged $2.20 regardless of the zip code that the buyer uses. The cheapest rate on the USPS website for this is $4.30. Even with eBay's discount, it will be more than $2.20. I had this happen before. Apparently the issue has not been resolved. I contact eBay by chat, but that is a waste of time.

I have seen similar threads. People ask "Did you put in accurate measurements?" First; yes. Second; it does not matter; if the information is not changed from posting the item to printing the label the amounts should be the same. Does eBay know the accurate dimensions? If so, why isn't the buyer charged the correct amount by eBay?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyers pays lower shipping than seller is charged.

@lions7751 wrote:

why would it charge the the buyer/seller the correct rate and the other party a different rate?

Because YOU told eBay you were mailing a flat, and eBay DOES NOT offer printing of postage for flats. They expect you to put stamps on it, or take it to the Post Office and buy postage. They still let you choose that option when you list, so you can charge the buyer the appropriate amount.

eBay ONLY facilitates the printing of postage labels that include tracking. Flats do not include tracking.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I'd say you have an incorrect shipping choice selected when you created the listing.  In looking at a few you do have a couple that I saw that had $2.20 as the stated shipping charge.  I'd recommend going back to your listing and seeing if you have the right shipping options set.  

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@lions7751 

Large Envelope = Flat (Lettermail)

In the Calculator you are using Lettermail, you need to use First Class Package.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

What would be incorrect? I selected Calculated: Cost varies by buyer location; USPS First Class; Large Envelope; 9" x 6" x 1" and 7 ounces. Say that it is "incorrect", why would it change the the buyer/seller there correct rate and the other party a different rate?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

USPS has 3 categories of First Class mail: letters, flats (AKA Large envelope), and packages. Each piece of mail is assigned to one category, based on factors like weight, dimensions (including thickness), and rigidity.

eBay only sells labels for packages.  If your piece actually is in the Large envelope category, then you need to mail it at the PO or just put stamps on it.

If you want the buyer to be charged for a package, then seller "Package' rather than "Large envelope" in the menu for package type when you set up the shipping calculator.

To qualify as a Large envelope, your piece must be flexible and not over 3/4 inch thick.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

why would it charge the the buyer/seller the correct rate and the other party a different rate?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@lions7751 wrote:

Because YOU told eBay you were mailing a flat, and eBay DOES NOT offer printing of postage for flats. They expect you to put stamps on it, or take it to the Post Office and buy postage. They still let you choose that option when you list, so you can charge the buyer the appropriate amount.

eBay ONLY facilitates the printing of postage labels that include tracking. Flats do not include tracking.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Is a bubble mailer envelope considered a "package"?

If a large envelope can not be over 3/4" thick, then a greater dimension should not be an option in one of the dimension fields.

I have stuffed things into a flat-rate envelope that was way over 3/4". At least for the flat rate envelopes, if it fits, it ships.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

A Flat Rate Envelope is a "package" not a "letter".

A bubble mailer can be a "large envelope" or "package" depending on the thickness, flexibility and weight.

USPS Physical Standards

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/201.htm

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 

Thanks! From now-on; everything is going to be a package. I am not going to dust off my micrometer and calipers to check for overage.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@lions7751 wrote:

@releasethekraken_1 

Thanks! From now-on; everything is going to be a package. I am not going to dust off my micrometer and calipers to check for overage.

If you're going to do "package" for everything, some sellers recommend just throwing in a couple of packing peanuts to make sure it meets the minimum thickness. No measuring required.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

This is a conversation that I can relate too!

Ebay and the USPS do not sink when you enter weight and dims bases on buyer location for shipping. I have listed items based on buyer location, weight, and size, and have been jacked by USPS. 

I recently experienced an shipment that was probably a 30 minute drive from me based on stop lights and highway. Buyer did not want to pick-up or meet.

Went to the post office to ship. Clerk said shipping was the same for standard and priority. Of course I select priority. Then the clerk enters the dims. Now it jumps  $15 plus. 

I told them to just ship ground. The clerk re-enters the information and then tells me that my package "is not large enough to qualify for ground shipping". REALLY? 

weight a little less that 14 lbs. Dims were 24 x 18 x 18 according to clerk measurements. I was charged a weight dim of 47 lbs. !!!!!!!!!

I hate to say that I think the new USPS employees are trained to get the most out of the shipper!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

This is a conversation that I can relate too!

Ebay and the USPS do not sink when you enter weight and dims bases on buyer location for shipping. I have listed items based on buyer location, weight, and size, and have been jacked by USPS. 

I recently experienced an shipment that was probably a 30 minute drive from me based on stop lights and highway. Buyer did not want to pick-up or meet.

Went to the post office to ship. Clerk said shipping was the same for standard and priority. Of course I select priority. Then the clerk enters the dims. Now it jumps  $15 plus. 

I told them to just ship ground. The clerk re-enters the information and then tells me that my package "is not large enough to qualify for ground shipping". REALLY? 

weight a little less that 14 lbs. Dims were 24 x 18 x 18 according to clerk measurements. I was charged a weight dim of 47 lbs. !!!!!!!!!

I hate to say that I think the new USPS employees are trained to get the most out of the shipper!

Dimensional weight is used for ground shipping also.

But I don't see what your issue has in common with the OP's issue.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

A package THAT size, should be shipped by UPS, not postal mail. Anything that goes much over cubic weight/dimensions, gets expensive. Think of it like this, anything that ships USPS outside their free shipping supplies, or really close to those sizes, will cost more than other shippers. 12x12x8 is the largest "box" USPS makes. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

To simplify my postage I use the first class rate to mail padded envelopes to Hawaii-Alaska, Maine and Florida for all my items under 16 ounces.   When I started selling here ten years ago flat rate was flat rate.   When the USPS started the cumbersome distance plus weight calculus for shipping I wasn't about to change my business model that covers the cost of shipping supplies so I still charge the flat rate to the furthest U.S. locations from San Francisco.  

Message 15 of 15
latest reply