cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers charged less postage on invoice than actual postage cost,

Whats going on with the postage cost Ebay is sending to my buyers??

I sold an item, Ebay sent an invoice to the buyer that showed postage cost for a 1st class package as $1.60.  That is what they paid.  Also on the listing page it shows postage cost as $1.60 for a First Class package. (NOTE - the USPS minimum charge for a 1st Class package is $3.90)

When I printed out the label. I was charged $2.84 for 1st class package, and Ebay stated that I saved $1.11 off a $3.95 1st class package. The $3.95 Is the actual correct cost the USPS would charge. I understand the Ebay discount we sellers are given, so the $2.84 Ebay charged me is correct.

I just don't understand why the buyer was sent an invoice with $1.60 postage as the amount they  are to paid.

This just happened to me on another item I sold also, they showed and sent the buyer an invoice postage cost of $2.40, where the actual postage cost is $4.80. With seller discount I paid $3.39 for the postage.

Ebay is showing my buyers a lower than actual shipping cost on the listing page and invoice, then charging me the normal amount I would pay.

On the listing page:

ebay shippb1.jpg

When I print postage :

ebay shipp A2b.jpg

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@katz.paw wrote: ...When I create my listings and calculate postage, there has never been an option for me to choose letter, or large envelope(Flat), only packages or Flat Rate Priority envelopes.....

Your screen shots are not from the listing form, which is where the error originates.  It will not show up in the listing itself (except as evidenced by the low postage rate), nor on the page where you purchase postage.

You are referring to the menu for Service. The error is in a different menu, which is called Package type.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 7.22.30 PM.png

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

the shipping calculator that you are using needs to be set up correctly,if you select 1st class you also need to select package and not flat,this is a common problem.I think if you click around you will see more options to get to the correct choice

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Sounds like when you created your listing, it got input as letter rather than package.  So that is what ebay charged the buyer.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

This error occurs when the menu for "Package type" is set to letter or Large envelope. Then the buyer will be charged at the postage rate for a letter or flat (AKA Large envelope) even when the "Service" is set to First Class package.  

eBay is aware of this quirk and has chosen not to adjust the programming so that the listing won't show "First Class package" when the package type has been set to letter or flat.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Also you'll know if you accidentally created a "flat" postage since to my understanding all flat postages cannot include any tracking number. So if your postage is lacking a tracking, chances are you made a flat postage and not a "package" postage with tracking.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

On your actual listing(s), scroll down to the package size (letter, small package, etc), I suspect it checked off letter when the listing was made.

Once you go to run a label, it will run it using tracking and automatically show you the correct price it would be with tracking.

I've done this before myself, I know the pain 🙂
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

Also you'll know if you accidentally created a "flat" postage since to my understanding all flat postages cannot include any tracking number. So if your postage is lacking a tracking, chances are you made a flat postage and not a "package" postage with tracking.

True, USPS does not include tracking with postage for letters or flats, only for packages.  This is probably why eBay only sells postage for packages. It's not possible to purchase a postage label for a letter or flat through eBay. That's why the OP had to pay so much more for his label, than what the buyer had paid to him.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

No, I entered it correctly - see the pictures. I had no options from ebay when listing for a flat or a letter, only packages.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

No, see my pictures. Ebay shows first class PACKAGE rate for the buyer as $1.60, which is an impossible USPS rate.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I have never see an option when I create a listing to choose a letter rate. I don't have an Ebay hub, if that's where you are seeing that.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I appreciate all the Reply.

I had correctly listed it as a package. It looks like Ebay is showing the buyer a price for a 4oz large envelope(flat).

As you see from the pictures I posted, in the first one the listing shows to a buyer that First Class Package cost is $1.60. (But actually USPS has no package rate that low.)

In the second picture, you see the buyer selected First Class package. Ebay showed postage for buyer as $1.60, but charges me $2.84 for a 4 oz 4" x 3" x 3" package, after the $1.11 discount off correct $3.95 postage.

When I create my listings and calculate postage, there has never been an option for me to choose letter, or large envelope(Flat), only packages or Flat Rate Priority envelopes. In my listing I provided the buyer 2 postage options - First Class package or Priority Mail package.

Still don't know why Ebay has twice in the past day charged a lower price to the buyers than is charged to me.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@katz.paw wrote:

I have never see an option when I create a listing to choose a letter rate. I don't have an Ebay hub, if that's where you are seeing that.

Look on your listing form right below International shipping is the place to enter Package Weight and Dimensions.  The first drop down box is Package Type.  Do sell similar on your listing with the incorrect postage and see what is entered in that box.  Letter and large envelope are options and would result in the postage you are talking about.  That box needs to be Package (or thick envelope).  I'm using the advanced listing form.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@katz.paw wrote:

I appreciate all the Reply.

I had correctly listed it as a package. It looks like Ebay is showing the buyer a price for a 4oz large envelope(flat).

As you see from the pictures I posted, in the first one the listing shows to a buyer that First Class Package cost is $1.60. (But actually USPS has no package rate that low.)

In the second picture, you see the buyer selected First Class package. Ebay showed postage for buyer as $1.60, but charges me $2.84 for a 4 oz 4" x 3" x 3" package, after the $1.11 discount off correct $3.95 postage.

eBay shows that as "buyer selected" as a default display that eBay choose as the closest available option.   If you hover it will display a message.

DSCF8959.JPG

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@katz.paw 

Your eye ball, and Mad About You listings will have the same affliction if not revised.

For what ever reason they appear to have the same "not a package" setting.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@katz.paw wrote: ...When I create my listings and calculate postage, there has never been an option for me to choose letter, or large envelope(Flat), only packages or Flat Rate Priority envelopes.....

Your screen shots are not from the listing form, which is where the error originates.  It will not show up in the listing itself (except as evidenced by the low postage rate), nor on the page where you purchase postage.

You are referring to the menu for Service. The error is in a different menu, which is called Package type.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 7.22.30 PM.png

Message 15 of 21
latest reply