cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers cancelling again and again!! Ebay does nothing!!

I have had three cancellations or no paymnet intended after these auctions have closed in the last week.  I am depending on the amounts that I have sold these for which are $3000, $400, and $300.  It is way too easy for these buyers to say sorry i am not paying and have zero ramifications, while I have to relist and wait another 10 days for some money.  I am paying a ridiculous 13.5% fee to ebay for what?  Absolute joke.  I then called ebay and the lady hung up on me for asking this same question.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Simple fix, don't do auctions. It goes on their account and if they cancel to many times then they may not be able to purchase anymore.

Their is nothing to get mad about here. Is it annoying? Absolutely but people cancel orders all of the time whether it's on eBay, amazon, home depot etc... Deal with it and move forward, it's 100% completely out of your control.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

I actually agree with most of what you are saying but when asked why are you not paying or why have you cancelled they say I do not feel like it now or the price went too high.  Why is ebay hanging up on me for trying to contact them for answers?  I was very calm and was just curious as to the procedures.  Once again im paying 13.5% fees and this is what I get?

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Would you rather they paid, took delivery, then claimed INAD?  Then you're stuck paying postge both ways.

While unfortunate, a cancelation is relatively painless compared to other options for buyers who change their minds.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Come on are you serious?  You want to make a excuse for every situation?  I'm assuming you work for ebay because the real world does not work this way.  Once again I understand some of this, but when it is so repetitive it is not good business.  I own a business and would never treat or have never treated customers this way.  

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

@traiden-megan 

Sorry for you frustration.  You might consider refraining from using auctions style listings, DO NOT post best offers either, because that's also a scam magnet and list all your items at a fixed BUY IT NOW price with immediate payment required checked off.  It's the only way to avoid these types & you'll get more serious buyers that will actually pay you. I stopped using auction style listings for the same reason you are mentioning here on this forum.  Now when I have a sale, I always get paid.  Remember as a seller you are here to make money, not chase it.   Hope this is helpful.

Happy Selling

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

If having to relist and wait again until the auction is over to see if your going to get paid, why not ditch the auctions and best offers.

List as a fixed price with immediate payment required.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 7 of 30
latest reply

I have been doing less and less auctions as well.  Had some of the same things happening on some items.  But not everything.

Usually its electronic stuff, like laptops or phones that buyers get weird about.

That said, I might run an auction on an item once or twice.  Then switch to BIN.  I do offers, but the offers are all automatic.  In that if the buyer makes an offer, there is a set price point were they are auto accepted or auto rejected.  Example, the item is listed for 80, but I have a 40 dollar limit set for both auto reject and auto accept.  They can bid against the computer.  I don't have to do anything.  But I have stopped sending offers, especially on multi quantity stuff.

Been selling a lot of HDDs lately though.  Shipping a couple nearly every day now.  Just sent two to a DE forwarder for Nigeria! *facepalm

(the facepalm is because I don't sell to international buyers, but they don't read/can't read or ignore my listing)

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

The problem is that most sellers have accepted the default ebay settings which basically allows anyone to bid. While you can't rule everyone out, you can most certainly rule out bidders who have had more than two unpaid item strikes in the past 6 months (I think that is the most aggressive setting) but you also have to go through the process of reporting these buyers for not paying so that they can receive their well deserved strike and so that when ebay cancels the auction you are refunded your final value fees.

Not getting into more details because I'd have to look it all up so that's on you but ebay provides the tools to avoid most of these sport bidders however you as a seller MUST avail yourself of them because ebay doesn't automatically do it for you.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Frustrating, but just to note:   no 13 point whatever % is charged when there is no payment.

as for eBay does nothing......................    if the buyer does not pay, and you follow the process of cancelling after 4 days.................   the buyer will get a non-payment strike on the account.

Many seller s set buyer requirements to block IDs with nonpayment strikes.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

There's a thread in the 'Buying' section where a buyer is complaining that they cannot bid because of non paid items. So canceling for non payment does help sometimes to prevent future occurrences, though it doesn't help in the immediate. 

Also, as others have mentioned, auctions are really only worthwhile for certain types of items. Lots of people even filter out auctions when searching because they don't want to wait for it to end, or they want to pay less. And then there's the sport bidders who get caught up in the last minute and bid more than they wanted to, then do not pay. 

You are absolutely right that it is wrong, and eBay should do more. But they won't, so the suggestions others have made are your best recourse. 

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

No to worry.

ebay is in the process of "fixing" this for you, the same way they "fixed" it for sellers who were getting unpaid accepted offers.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@traiden-megan   eBay has 'Managing who can buy from you' in 'selling preferences'

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

1.) there is NO FEE when a buyer doesn't pay, so you are NOT paying 13.25% for anything

2.) This has been ongoing for years- do Buy It Now- Immediate Payment required and be done

3.) eBay DOES 'do something' to these buyers- they will eventually wind up on the 'pre payment' list BEFORE They even bid- as well as you can 'cancel for non payment' after 4 days and the buyer gets a 'ding'- gets enough of these and they cannot bid anymore and or 'most sellers' use their 'preferences' to click on the 'do not allow bidders with 2 or more in 12 months (of non payment). 

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@broto_64 wrote:

The problem is that most sellers have accepted the default ebay settings which basically allows anyone to bid. While you can't rule everyone out, you can most certainly rule out bidders who have had more than two unpaid item strikes in the past 6 months (I think that is the most aggressive setting) but you also have to go through the process of reporting these buyers for not paying so that they can receive their well deserved strike and so that when ebay cancels the auction you are refunded your final value fees.

Not getting into more details because I'd have to look it all up so that's on you but ebay provides the tools to avoid most of these sport bidders however you as a seller MUST avail yourself of them because ebay doesn't automatically do it for you.

Its not hard to look up and post a few details or a link.  😛

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

gator08041971_1-1709140134337.png

That is where you can find these tools.  You can also manually block a buyer or add them to an exemption list to help them out.

Personally, I wish they would address this option:

gator08041971_2-1709140260676.png

And change it so that you can block a person if their account shows from a different country.  Not their mailing address.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 15 of 30
latest reply