cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers can leave negative feedback to a seller even if the buyer backs out of transaction??

A buyer is the high bidder on an item at $260 and immediately writes to seller; ‘oops I made a mistake, I don’t have that much money but I can offer you $150 for the item.’
The seller tells them to contact ebay to resolve the ‘mistake’ and ebay asks the seller to cancel the order which he did and sells the item to the underbidder.
After a 4 month period of being off ebay, seller realizes the ‘mistake’ buyer has left negative feedback (a simple “Rude!”) which reduces sellers percentage from 100% power seller for 24 years to 97%.
Ebay says there’s nothing they can do about it because;
1. it's over 120 days old
2. buyers who back out of a transaction can leave sellers negative feedback on the ‘sellers performance.’
How in all fairness is that feedback policy fair, especially since sellers could NEVER leave negative for a buyer!!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Buyers can leave negative feedback to a seller even if the buyer backs out of transaction??

Are you saying this person actually won, but did not pay? 

And you did not cancel, citing "buyer did not pay" after the mandatory waiting period of 96 hours? 

Why would the buyer need to contact eBay to resolve the mistake? 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Two mistakes happening here....actually at least 3 mistakes

Mistake #1 - Buyer bids on something they can't afford

Mistake #2 - Seller tells buyer to contact eBay

The Seller should have simply cancelled the transaction as requested by the buyer.

Mistake #3 - Not noticing the neg on a timely basis

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@grana wrote: ...  writes to seller; ‘oops I made a mistake, I don’t have that much money but I can offer you $150 for the item.’

The seller tells them to contact ebay to resolve the ‘mistake’ and ebay asks the seller to cancel the order ...

Why did you advise the buyer to contact eBay? Your options actually were (1) cancel immediately based on 'Buyer requested" or (2) wait 96 hours and cancel based on "Buyer hasn't paid." Perhaps this is the source of the buyer's opinion that you were rude.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

The issue for me is the buyer said "oops i made a mistake but can offer you $100 less than the closing bid."

Is that a new feature of ebay? 'Make an offer after you win the item?' It's preposterous.

And when you refuse their 'offer' and cancel the auction they have the right to say I'm rude??

To me, it's just another example of ebays 'customer always right' policy and I've sold to enough buyers to know, they are not.

The long lapse of not looking at my feedback was due to a death in the family, I was deeply grieving and ebay was the farthest thing from my mind. And after many years as a top seller, in 5 months of inactivity, I go back to the highest level of selling fees.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I understand and agree with your point.

Buyers whose butts are kissed by eBay get away with anything. I feel your pain.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@grana wrote:

The issue for me is the buyer said "oops i made a mistake but can offer you $100 less than the closing bid."

Is that a new feature of ebay? 'Make an offer after you win the item?' It's preposterous.

And when you refuse their 'offer' and cancel the auction they have the right to say I'm rude??

To me, it's just another example of ebays 'customer always right' policy and I've sold to enough buyers to know, they are not.

The long lapse of not looking at my feedback was due to a death in the family, I was deeply grieving and ebay was the farthest thing from my mind. And after many years as a top seller, in 5 months of inactivity, I go back to the highest level of selling fees.

In your first post you said that you told the buyer to contact eBay, that was "rude", as I mentioned in my previous post YOU should have cancelled because only YOU can do that.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/buyers-can-cancel-order/buyers-can-cancel-order?id=4004

slippinjimmy_1-1692227037559.png

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@grana wrote: ...  writes to seller; ‘oops I made a mistake, I don’t have that much money but I can offer you $150 for the item.’

The seller tells them to contact ebay to resolve the ‘mistake’ and ebay asks the seller to cancel the order ...

Why did you advise the buyer to contact eBay? Your options actually were (1) cancel immediately based on 'Buyer requested" or (2) wait 96 hours and cancel based on "Buyer hasn't paid." Perhaps this is the source of the buyer's opinion that you were rude.

The buyer did NOT ask to cancel the purchase. The buyer just asked for  a discount.

The only thing the selelr should have done is ignore the message and cancel a buyer did not pay.  seller could have also reported the buyer for asking that question.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Instead of getting involved in semantics it's always best for a seller to just do the simple and obvious thing.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I'm sorry but your post heading is written incorrectly. The buyer did not back out of the transaction, you canceled the transaction- not what the buyer asked you to do. That negative was well earned and having a death in your family, while very sad to hear and I send you my condolences, is not an excuse for not following the policies correctly. If you choose to sell online, then it is your responsibility to learn and understand all of the rules for doing so. Best of luck to you....

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

You need to contact ebay again to remove it. You went through a hassle with that person who backed out of the contract (bidding is a contract). The user (not even a buyer) had no rights to leave the negative. Escalate your case, don`t give up.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

This should be able to be removed.  The buyer tried to re-negotiate the price after winning the auction.  That is not allowed on ebay, thats a violation and it should be a mark against the buyers account.  Keep contacting ebay until you get a supervisor in America that can understand what you are saying.

And I just love the initial replies.  Its always the sellers fault even when its the buyers fault.  The hypocrisy runs extremely biased and thick here, even on the forum.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply