cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers can just tell Ebay they returned an item with no tracking and i have to refund?

I just got this message from Ebay today, I'm confused by it. Can a buyer just tell ebay they returned an item without giving a tracking number? i didn't receive this item yet and have no idea if they returned it yet. The return still says the buyer hasn't shipped it yet. The return is from Requested: Feb 21, 2019

Here is the message...It looks like its requiring me to refund by a certain date even though i don't have the item or a tracking number

We've asked the buyer to send the item

Hi ******,

***buyer*** indicated that they posted their return. The item should now be delivered and once you've received it, please issue the buyer with a refund by Mar 19, 2019.

When the refund is complete, you'll automatically receive a credit for the final value fee and other applicable fees.

If the item hasn't arrived yet, the buyer may not be returning it. if you like, you can contact buyer. If you can't reach a resolution, you can ask us to step in and help.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Buyers can just tell Ebay they returned an item with no tracking and i have to refund?

@disneyshopper wrote:

"supposed returns" being delivered to an address other than the seller's address.

If the seller pays for the return shipping label, the address that is printed for the return is supplied by the seller.  If the seller has moved, that is the seller's fault for not keeping his/her addresses updated.

@disneyshopper wrote:

"supposed returns" being delivered to an address other than the seller's address.

If the seller pays for the return shipping label, the address that is printed for the return is supplied by the seller.  If the seller has moved, that is the seller's fault for not keeping his/her addresses updated.

I think the poster is referring to the threads where buyers have been paying their own shipping and show tracking to an address in the sellers zip code but it's turning out not that be the sellers address. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 31 of 37
latest reply

Re: Buyers can just tell Ebay they returned an item with no tracking and i have to refund?

Yep, there have been several sellers that actually hunted down the package and found it was simply an envelope or box of trash sent to a random business in their zip code. 

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

I've read that not even Ebay respects its own rules.

A return is initiated, seller creates return shipping label, the buyer doesn't upload the information leaving the seller wondering when, how, where? Then, item appears at their front door.

In this case, shipping label is issued, buyer wraps the item, puts it on the hands of the mail carrier or the post office-Fedex, etc. Then, uploads the tracking information and hopes for the best with the carrier. 

Then, buyer receives it within determined time. Return is issued, we get married, happy life. Smiley Very Happy

To me, same "sanctions" should be imposed on the buyer if they don't upload information on time and once, as stated, the return is not arriving at the seller's front door within that determined time, he or she loses. 

Not everything wrong has to be on the seller's side. 

latest reply

@threshold.sales.group wrote:

OP, I agree the message is very confusing.  The entire thrust of message other than a short qualifier at the very end is that a refund is due the buyer. There is even a refund by date included (and a threat about eBay being asked to step in) with no objective evidence at all to support it (3rd party tracking #). There is only a single seemingly out place sentence tagged on at the very end indicating that just maybe the buyer never shipped the item, but that's at odds with what's clearly implied in the main message (refund is due or else).  One wonders how many sellers have issued unnecessary full refunds with no return just based on the threats and misinformation in the message?  

I doubt that who ever came up with the verbiage did so by mistake. Just take a look at the page itself, it's too "perfectly deceptive." Not just one, but numerous areas that work together to mislead the seller. This wasn't all done by accident. It was ebay's plan all along to try and trick the seller.

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

eBay has gone to the dogs:

I was forced by eBay to issue AND pay for the return; despite their "policies".

Listing clearly stated that we won't accept shipping costs on returns.

Seems eBay changed policy on that behind our backs and made it automatic for the buyer to abuse policy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174039393027

This negative economic strategy will bite them in their butts as it is also their income of 10% from sellers, LOST!

What a dumb move!

I guess the Chinese Sellers are easier to bully-around.

F*** Y** eBay!

I still have NOT received the item as they never bothered to send the item back to its origin: EE001089565BZ

As the address is default to my freight forwarder, I am NOT there to issue a confirmation signature!

Even that, eBay goes against their own policy!

The buyer changed their mind and refused to accept the original shipment. God knows what they sent back!

"eBay Customer Support has made a final decision.
We've processed the refund for the buyer. The refund amount of $ 1,500.00 will be recovered from you by eBay.
We received tracking information from the buyer that shows successful delivery to your return address.
Final decision:
This case was decided in the buyer's favor."
Message 35 of 37
latest reply

It also screws up sellers reputation score; which, eBay attempts to block your viewing. But I managed a quick screenshot & it states some other reason!
Message 36 of 37
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 37 of 37
latest reply