cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers Photoshoping labels to an alternative return address

I have, had this happen 3 times. A buyer will buy an item from us then return it. Instead of leaving the original address on the USPS label they photoshop it and put in another address so the package will appear returned but in fact it goes to a different address.  We learned this was happening because the buyer left our name on the label and the person who's address it went to called us and sure enough the label had been modified and they returned an empty box. Furthermore we had set in our setting to not accept a sale from people with a feedback score less than 5, this last person that did this to use had a feedback score of 3. When I called ebay about the feedback piece they said that that particular setting is only the exact feedback score of 5, so if someone with a feedback score of 5 can not order but someone with another feedback score lower than 5 or above 5 can. Each time it has been from a DE address. Ebay was no help in me getting my money back or blocking the account from which this happened all we can do is not ship to DE or cancel orders with low feedback score which hurts our metrics. We filed a police report since the items have been more than 500 dollars. Why does Ebay not allow buyers to be down ranked or banned, why do they not keep track of ip address and see when the same buyers who are running scams use the same address, put in fake phone numbers and make new accounts? Is ebay really making that much more money by letting the scammers continue. So I want to buy a bunch of stuff and just change the address on the label and get it all free, if that is all you have to do, wow I never have to work again!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Buyers Photoshoping labels to an alternative return address

Don't give up on appealing with eBay. Show them proof of what happened and let them eat it. It's their return policy causing the issue. Reach out on Facebook(eBay for business) and be patient.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

There is no setting that allows you to block a buyer with ANY number of FB.

The only place that setting appears is under Buyer Requirements where the buyer is not allowed to buy more a set # of items in a certain time period and you can apply that to buyers with certain FB.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@kssurplus

It’s not possible to block members with a Feedback Score of 3 or 5 … or 0, 1, 2, or 4 as well.

It once was possible to block buyers with a minus score … which buyers no longer can obtain (since they cannot get negs any more).

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

a little confusing post, but I understand the issue.

1. Was the return label provided by you?

2. Was there an open case and eBay instructed the buyer to return? Meaning eBay would not make a decision on case but instructed the buyer to return. 

3. How was the person who received your empty box able to call you?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@kssurplus 

What you are describing is just ONE of the tactics used by criminals here.  It is very common with international buyers that use those freight forwarders in Delaware as well.  

The buyer wants your item for free.  It is basically pretty easy, and buyers out of the US need not worry about Postal Inspectors, the FBI or any of the usual law enforcement agencies where they might be reported. 

When buyers use a freight forwarder, they lose many of the protections offered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.  Unfortunately,  eBay's bot system is not programmed to recognize a Forwarder address, so unless the seller knows, it is business as usual. 

Had you known about this in advance, you could have contacted eBay through one their social media channels and dispensed with the claim right away.  

The seller sends a return label to the forwarder address.  The buyer can't use it since the product is already in some foreign country.  Since they have to have delivery confirmation to prove a return was made, what was done to you is one of the ways this is accomplished.    Others involve buying some cheap trinket from Amazon or Etsy and have it sent to you or another address in your Zipcode (aka cheap trinket return scam, sister to the fake tracking scam).  Since doctoring the label retains the same tracking number as the one issued to them for the return label, it is even more of a problem for YOU.  

Granted, the claim should never have been allowed in the first place, but I don't know how eBay is going to play the game 'after the fact'.   Regular customer service from the foreign call centers that you get on chat or call back are not going to be useful.  

If you can get any documentation from USPS i.e. photo of the parcel with the altered label, or a written letter from your Post Master, eBay may give you some sort of courtesy refund(s).  But, as you know the eBay policies are first and foremost to protect eBay. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

"eBay's bot system is not programmed to recognize a Forwarder address"

You have to understand that is not an accident.  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

If they change label go to postal inspector it is mail fraud and evidence is all there to file for fraud which is a felony

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hello,

I am very sorry this has happened to you. I would recommend giving this information to the USPS as this is a felony and the person should be punished.  Search the internet (I used "ebay scammers sentenced to prison")  and you will see people that used Ebay and the USPS to commit a crime and have been prosecuted and are now in prison, are convicted felons and have to pay resitution. Most thieves eventually get caught and pay the price.  One person had 498 Ebay accounts and how Ebay never caught that is beyond me. Karma always wins! 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply