cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers Not Looking At Picture or Reading Items Description

So I'm getting a little frustrated! Aside from my sales being SLOW for the last month or so, I've had an increase in buyers either not paying or not looking at everything on the listing. 

Most of the time I sell items that are in like new or new condition. Saying that, I occasionally list items with major distress or shoes that are in good to fair condition. The items are always between $5-7 + shipping. Super low, compared to what I usually list items for. Even if I make minimal profit, I at least get the items out of my house. 

Just this week I sold a fair of J. Crew pants (sold $6) and Sam Edelman Sandals (sold $5) to two different buyers. I posted detailed pictures of the defects in both items, and in the descriptions included "wear between thighs, lots of distress. Please use photos as best depiction of items condition" (pants) and "Signs of wear on the shoes, please use photos as best depiction of items condition" (shoes). 

I get emails from both buyers complaining about each of the items condition.

• One buyer saying the condition of the pants is horrible, and I shouldn't have put them up for sale, and that they didn't realize the distress in the thighs was that bad. 
  • The other buyer admitting they didn't look at the photos of the shoes, and thought because the listing had the MSRP price, that meant the item was new and it's misleading. She also mentioned refusing to leave feedback

I just want to know if anyone has been experiencing this more? I don't know what else I can do to make listings more accurate and avoid these type of situations unless I just avoid selling damaged clothing or shoes. Has anyone tried the video feature yet, maybe this will help

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Are those gallery photos for both items stock photos?  If so, I absolutely would NOT do that for pre-owned clothing.  People on cell phones have to hunt for the description so that makes it harder to read condition, and they just gawp at the first photo and push the button.  The subsequent photos you have are perfectly fine and show condition right off the bat.

Also, cheapskates - I don't even sell in that low price point because it seems to bring out the pickiest shoppers.  I have no idea why, but I've run into this time and again.  I'm not sure I'd use video for stuff at that price point.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

So for the pants I didn't use a stock photo. It is a photo of the pants iron and pressed, but you cant see any defaults/distress in the first photo. For the shoes however, I did use a stock photo. So I do thank you for suggesting that! 

I do think you are right about people that price point attracting cheapskates. I've dropped prices on several of my items, and I swear with the prices being at a lower post - the buyers are different. It really may just be more beneficial taking them to a donation center and getting a tax write off. 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@nee_nee27I always send a message asking the buyer - Please confirm that you saw..." then list the flaws that are clearly stated in the description and photos. Either they're grateful and ask to cancel, or they appreciate the confirmation. I've listed items FOR PARTS in the title, the condition, the description, any place I could, and still they would buy it. When asked to confirm they say, Oh, I didn't see that.

I get it as a buyer that I'm searching across multiple sites with multiple sellers each having a different description and it does get confusing. I'm honest enough to admit that it's my fault if I buy the wrong thing.

I would either raise my prices, or donate like you said. You could offer on facebook marketplace or other online platforms. Clothes are a hard category, especially used. Issues with size and color are a pain. Even if you measure, they can still say it doesn't fit. Color is subjective depending on what device settings the user is viewing on.

I used to sell clothes on ebay in the 90's. Buyers would actually message me with helpful suggestions on ways to edit and improve my listings. I still message sellers when I see an inaccuracy on their listing, whether I'm going to buy or not.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I haven't been experiencing it MORE.  But it has been this way for ever.

You just have to do your best to make the flaws STAND OUT in the description.

There is no way to avoid it completely. Just do the best that you can do and hope for the best.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I looked at your listings. You may want to double check your shipping costs You are selling a T Shirt for $10.00 and charging $9.65 for shipping.  I could send that Item via First Class mail from Florida to Alaska for around $4.50 Max.  You may want to raise your item price a little and lowering your postage charges

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

1. Some items are not worth selling. Pants with lots of holes along the inseam fall into that category. Donate. Fabric recycling. Trash. All better options than selling something in that condition and getting basically no money for the time involved in listing.

2. Fill out the item condition field at the top of the listing form. You selected pre-owned but did not use the box to add comments about condition.

3. You didn't post an item description. In very tiny font it said "Wear in the thighs. Please see pictures for distressed areas" then in larger font mentioned a black friday sale, info about holiday shipping and other terms. That's minimizing the defect. It's better to underpromise and overdeliver. Terms of service should not be longer than the item description, nor should they be a larger font.

4. I was going to say the same thing about stock photos that someone else did. The lead pic does not look like the same pair of pants - color, shape, background - everything looks different. I realize you said that it's not a stock image, but I did some searching and found that your first pic is consistent with JCrew stock photos.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@nee_nee27 wrote:

So for the pants I didn't use a stock photo. It is a photo of the pants iron and pressed, but you cant see any defaults/distress in the first photo. For the shoes however, I did use a stock photo. So I do thank you for suggesting that! 

I do think you are right about people that price point attracting cheapskates. I've dropped prices on several of my items, and I swear with the prices being at a lower post - the buyers are different. It really may just be more beneficial taking them to a donation center and getting a tax write off. 

Thanks!

That's what I wound up doing - just donating.  When you consider the time spent in listing low-dollar clothing items, even just marking stuff down to get it out of the house - I know there are already sunk costs, but then sanity is priceless!

I wasn't sure about the pants photo, only because it had a different style and background to the others.  I've actually put text on photos with arrows if there's damage I want to point out.  Sometimes one needn't 'fear the flaw' as one poster here has said, but that heavily depends on what the item is - bread and butter stuff, I don't bother.  If it's an unusual or in-demand piece, or just something like a fabric or dye flaw on an otherwise nearly new garment, then I'll go ahead, but use the text (never in the gallery photo but one of the later ones).

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@nee_nee27  Since you asked for opinions, here's mine. I only looked at your listing for the pants

re: what you said here "Just this week I sold a fair of J. Crew pants ...  I posted detailed pictures of the defects in both items, and in the descriptions included "wear between thighs, lots of distress. Please use photos as best depiction of items condition" (pants)" -

So, the only sold J. Crew pants I saw were navy polka dotted ones, and I have to say your Gallery Photo (the main photo that tells the buyer what you are selling) doesn't even look like the same pair of pants (condition, even the length, and apparent stretched out shape in other photos).

Aside from photos - to me, the title should mention "distressed" or some word to give a heads up that there are issues with the item.

Description - HIGHLIGHT any damage or issues, not minimize, as in your case with that tiny font tucked away a distance above the rest of the description.

I agree buyers don't always read, and sometimes no matter what you do, things don't work out. But still, I think any problems (also good features!) should be clearly identified and not buried to require a detailed search.

A bit of humor that may suggest nothing a seller can do helps -- I once sold a pair of earrings, large art glass dangly things. Used "HUGE" as a keyword (and yes, even all CAPS), had key points highlighted in outline form including "Size" - which said very large, 3 inches.

Seller didn't return but did mention in feedback that she had no idea they would be so large 😂 

Still, we can only try

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. With sending the buyers a reminder about the condition before shipping, how long do you wait to get a reply? I've done this a few times (mostly when I'm surprised a defective item sold for asking price vs. with a lower offer). My only thing is, I've had times where the buyer never replied to my messages. Do you wait for a reply, or do you go ahead and mail the package before eBay says "you've mailed the package late"?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I base shipping on items weight. If items are under 1 pound I used First Class. All other Items are either shipped in a USPS Priority padded envelope (which is ridiculously $9.65 now) or I give buyers multiple shipping options.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

A lot of your used items are just too worn to be selling on Ebay, and or, you are just asking too much because of the condition of such items. You will continue to have these problems if you do not take a serious look at the stuff and remove things that are just not worth selling or at least lower the price on the most worn stuff. Also do not over grade. Some of the items I looked at you made it sound like they are in better condition then they are.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply