cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to pick up an item when pick up is not offered: what to do

Got a message from a user asking if he could pick it up if purchased, as he needs it by Saturday. A minute later, he purchased it and sent me another message saying he wants to meet with me to pick it up.

I do not feel safe to meet with him, and I don`t offer local pick ups. Am I right?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Buyer wants to pick up an item when pick up is not offered: what to do

You have the right to determine whether or not you offer local pickup, and this buyer chose to ignore your preference. If you are truly unwilling to arrange this, then notify your buyer immediately and ask him whether he wants to cancel the transaction so you can issue a refund and then he can purchase this item elsewhere.

Local pickups can be safe. Many police stations have an area set up with camera surveillance specifically for these transactions. Nevertheless, it's inconvenient to go to the meeting and sometimes the buyer shows up late or not at all. Plus there's the hassle of the QR code needed to prove "delivery". OTOH, avoiding shipping means less risk of item loss or damage, and lower final value fee because there's no shipping payment.  But the choice is yours. For a low-value item such as the two most recent listings that I see under your "Sold" items, I would not want to bother with a meet-up.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thank you. It is $8 item, and he paid for shipping $3.95. Most likely, he would want to get the shipping back, which ebay already taxed and took 15% in additional fees. And the proof of delivery...I have no idea how to get that.

Plus, the ignorance and disrespect when not even waiting for my response and a minute later purchasing it anyway and asking to meet up...

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

What is the product that they need so badly by Saturday?

Since they paid, you can see their address / location / profile / feedback. Are they even close to you for pick up?

You will need to make the best judgement on this that makes you comfortable. I would rather have buyer pay at pick-up so they don't try to claim an issue down the road. Meaning they file an INR because they picked-up. You now have no proof of delivery. 

best wishes!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Yeah, not worth the aggravation. For future reference, though: If you give a partial refund, eBay will credit that portion of the final value fee percentage.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@worldwidetreausures 

If the buyer is demanding local pickup, but already paid for shipping:

Cancel with reason "Problem with address".

Buyer will receive full refund and you will have your item to relist.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Yes, that is exactly what I did.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@worldwidetreausures wrote:

Got a message from a user asking if he could pick it up if purchased, as he needs it by Saturday. A minute later, he purchased it and sent me another message saying he wants to meet with me to pick it up.

I do not feel safe to meet with him, and I don`t offer local pick ups. Am I right?

My standard reply:

We do not have a physical store. We are limited to mail order. As such walk-ins and personal deliveries are not possible.

As for needing it Saturday (I would never say this to  buyer but it is my feeling): Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

After I sent him a message that I didn`t offer local pick ups (and canceling the transaction-not sure if he already received that notification), he asked f he could pay more to get it by Saturday. I already refunded his money.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Yeah, not worth it for eight bucks, and you've already cancelled. But for future reference, if you find yourself in this situation and decide you want to work out the pickup the process is to cancel  the order then relist the item with local pickup as the only shipping method. Buyer can repurchase and you can arrange the meet.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/local-pickup?id=4181

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Just cancel for your protection. Not worth a pick-up and your time waiting for them to arrive!

Why would they want to drive to pick-up (time & gas) for $3.95 shipping????

I would also entertain blocking them.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@worldwidetreausures wrote:

After I sent him a message that I didn`t offer local pick ups (and canceling the transaction-not sure if he already received that notification), he asked f he could pay more to get it by Saturday. I already refunded his money.

I have this feeling that he purchased the used gift cards for a present (needed on Saturday), not understanding that they are being sold as "collectibles" and have zero balances.  If I'm right, it's good that you refunded because a hassle even worse than proposed in-person delivery was in store for you.

-

Message 12 of 12
latest reply