cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to know if I combine shipping after the sale what should I tell him?

I already had 40 percent off sale. 

Then accepted his offer.

Now he wants combined shipping on 2 items.

Basically working the price down to nothing plus shipping. 

Now he's mad at me saying 

it costs the same for 1 as 2 thanks !!!

Apparently he doesn't understand how ebays buy 1 get 1 free works. Supposed to add 2 to cart. He sent offers. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Buyer wants to know if I combine shipping after the sale what should I tell him?

It is completely your decision as the seller, however as a buyer if the items are going to ship together there is nothing wrong with asking about a combined rate.

We charge shipping on our items and regardless of if there is a sale running we combine shipping if the items are going to ship together. We have 1 business day handling time, so if they order in the same day we combine. If we have already shipped the first item and the purchase the second the next day (for example), depending on the price of shipping we may give them a discount. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

That's not how you should be pricing things. Shipping is not part of the product price. Only price/accept offers that allow you to make an acceptable profit. Most buyers expect you to combine shipping. The price you put for shipping on a single item should cover the shipping for that item. If a buyer buys more than one you should be able to give them a shipping discount. Charging excessive shipping to increase your profits will usually end up getting you bad feedback.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@jda15121 wrote:

If a buyer buys more than one you should be able to give them a shipping discount.

It depends on the items.

I had a lady buy two items a few years ago and they were both set for First Class shipping.

Once I had them packaged together, could no longer ship First Class, it cost a few dollars more to ship, then it would if I just shipped them each First Class.

Combining shipping isn't always cheaper.

Have a great day.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Great point that many buyers do not understand.  Ship one shirt and First class is fine. Ship two shirts and then it goes priority.  I cringe when buyers ask if I combine shipping.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I hate combined these days - far too easy for the buyer to say ''only got 1 instead of 2''

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Simply tell them the truth.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

All the more reason to never use the offer option. Just leads to trouble like that.    Many business models do make money on the shipping. However, I never liked that and try to avoid such sellers.

Shipping is not part of the best offer but buyers don't seem to accept that.  If you can ship without loss you can and just no longer offer the order option.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

It really depends on the item and the shipping costs.  For example, if it is the two inexpensive caps you recently sold then you could give a $3 refund for a shipping adjustment and come out even relative to selling them individually.  But you must tell the buyer that this amount reflects your net savings after fees as most buyers are far beyond being simply naïve or ignorant when it comes to shipping costs.  I mean I sell with free shipping and I have buyers who imagine that my shipping costs are free.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply